Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Excellent. Thanks Raz.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #30

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Pretty sure Raz, has the story correct as to why in years gone what the primary issues with the Nissan's was. Not as I understand it an issue for the past 7 years or so. While doing my research on my current truck I discovered that many of the so called auto experts actually have been rated the Frontier above the Tacoma for the past few years.

As a side note had I not gone the truck route I would have and actually did want a Toyota Highlander. Lots of folks here tow with them and are very happy with how well they tow. Unfortunately I had a set budget and couldn't find one gentle enough used for my liking or budget.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #31
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
For what it's worth all vehicles have forums that are great for finding where the issues are on vehicles. The Frontier forum has a very long thread on the radiator issue and complete instructions on how to bypass including a discussion on the pros and cons. Be aware it's not quite as family oriented as this forum as the clientele is mostly young and male. Raz
Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
That's the one for climbing boulders as I recall.
Yup thats the one - also good for driving over small cars in city parking lots
Hoping its also good for no rear sag should I upgrade to a slightly bigger trailer with heavier tongue weight.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #33
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup thats the one - also good for driving over small cars in city parking lots
Hoping its also good for no rear sag should I upgrade to a slightly bigger trailer with heavier tongue weight.
Alf says his Frontier pulls his Escape 5.0 very well so I'm sure it will do likewise with yours.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #34

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Alf says his Frontier pulls his Escape 5.0 very well so I'm sure it will do likewise with yours.
I agree,the Scamp factory delivers the 19 with Ranger pickups and not the bigger motor models either.

The whole idea of the 5th wheel is to optimize towing as distributing the load from the rear axle unlike any towed trailer and I understand it makes for a much easier and trouble free tow.

The few Frontier I have seen towing small 5ers look to confirm this.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

I'm worried about you, Carol...before you went to the pickup-as-tug Darkside you'd have used the quality-neutral word "upSIZE" with reference to bigger trailers.

Please tell me you haven't become one of the bigger-is-better crowd... ...
Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #36

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
It all boils down to once you go over rated tow capacity much of the burden to make it work falls to YOU.

Norm has taken on that responsibility and using skill, knowledge and experience put together something that works for the specific way he and Ginny travel and camp. The whole thing works because all of the specific pieces fit together and function.

I'm sure he will communicate this directly to you honestly and answer any questions you might have.

I would be very honest with yourself when assessing your own skill, knowledge and experience with towing, and how you will use the camper. Incorporate that in making a decision based on the information from Norm.

I will drive vehicles and in situations or weather my wife would not even consider, she is a good driver, as am I but that is partly because knows where her comfort zone is, and it is different than mine. Just as your comfort zone may be different than Norms.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #37

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
My parents towed large camper all around Colorado where they lived with a small pickup. Might have been a Datsun. I recall looking at the engine and thinking it looked like a sewing machine. BUT had a creaper 1st gear and high torque lower gears, extra cooling, brakes and beefy suspension.

The total package really matters. More than engine size or stated tow capacity.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #38

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Not a surprise, as it happens many a time, but we are getting well off track frin the OP's original question, and that is about towing with the 2001 CRV.

Maybe we could start a new thead with the additional discussion if desired, as there is merit to it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #39

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We tow our 13' Uhaul with a 2003 CRV, 4cyl, auto trans. Trailer weight is about 1500lb, which is what the car is rated for. I don't know how much difference there is between the 2001 and 2003. Our CRV handles the Uhaul very well. We were looking at a Scamp 16. It had two 20lb propane tanks and a battery on the tongue. We hooked it to our car, and the rear of the car dropped about 2 inches. I felt this was too much tongue weight for the car, and perhaps also for the hitch which is held on with 4 bolts and a U clamp. Now I could have removed the propane tanks, relocated the battery, and decreased the tongue weight and got away with it, but what I can do, and what I should do just didn't line up in this case in my opinion. We did not buy the Scamp. Talked to a Scamp 16 owner today who said his weighed around 2500 loaded.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We tow our 13' Uhaul with a 2003 CRV, 4cyl, auto trans. Trailer weight is about 1500lb, which is what the car is rated for. I don't know how much difference there is between the 2001 and 2003. Our CRV handles the Uhaul very well.
First gen CRV's were made through model year 2001. That's what the O.P. has. Yours (like Norm's) is second generation, which has 50% more stated tow capacity than the earlier model. Despite having the same name, these are not the same cars. I just hope the O.P.'s getting that point!

CRV generational breakdown at this link.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #41

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I thought they were different, but didn't take the time to research it. O.P. probably gave up on this thread by now. Probably gave up on towing anything except a teardrop, and some of them can be quite heavy.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #42

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hmm, Toyota 4runner, body on frame, never had coolant in the tranny in 2006 or any other yr., longer wheelbase than the CRV, RAV, and other on a budget winners. Like to have the current Tundra/Sequoia mill in the runner; should just about fly w/the lighter weight vehitchle. Alas the old 4.7 is no more and one must love the six. I realize this is an apples to tow vehicle comparison hahaha.

jack