towing with 2001 CRV - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #41

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I thought they were different, but didn't take the time to research it. O.P. probably gave up on this thread by now. Probably gave up on towing anything except a teardrop, and some of them can be quite heavy.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #42

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hmm, Toyota 4runner, body on frame, never had coolant in the tranny in 2006 or any other yr., longer wheelbase than the CRV, RAV, and other on a budget winners. Like to have the current Tundra/Sequoia mill in the runner; should just about fly w/the lighter weight vehitchle. Alas the old 4.7 is no more and one must love the six. I realize this is an apples to tow vehicle comparison hahaha.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scamp 16 Tongue Weight

Mary and Bob's Post,

On Friday I will re-weigh my Scamp 16's Tongue to see how much it increased after repairing and fortifying the frame. Our pre-repair weight was always about 200 lbs with a full propane tank. We only carry one propane tank, more than enough, and a half tank of water.

To the original poster, I have reduced the distance of the ball to the Honda's rear axle by 2-3 inches. This reduces the effect of the tongue weight on the Honda's front axle by the order of 10%. This only required the drilling of an additional hole in the ball's support beam.

We use the Curt frame that Mary and Bob referred to in their post, 4 frame bolts and one U-bolt connection. We have had a Curt Hitch for 6 years and average 210 towing days per year, many on rough and dirt roads. The U bolt connection is the weak spot in this design because of it's cylinder to cylinder contact. As a result it occasionally needs to be tightened. We have reinforced our hitch in this area (and posted about it in the past, pictures available). The four bolts, to this point, have cause no damage to the Honda and have never loosened though regularly checked.

Our Scamp 16 weighs 2600 lbs, 2400 on the trailer axle and 200 lbs on the ball. It does exceed Honda's North American rating. Our trailer does have brakes and a break away switch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #44

New York
Norm's experience with the Curt hitch makes me feel better about it's durability. I have had no problem with the frame bolts, and took his advice about checking and tightening the u-bolt, got a little on it once. Most of my towing experience is with heavier, full frame vehicles, with larger 6 and 8 cylinder engines, and that is what I'm comfortable with. I would prefer the manual trans in our CRV, but it was a used car and a good deal, and purchased before we got the Uhaul. Happy camping Norm, and thanks for all your advice. Hope to meet you both one of these days.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

I'm worried about you, Carol...before you went to the pickup-as-tug Darkside you'd have used the quality-neutral word "upSIZE" with reference to bigger trailers.

Please tell me you haven't become one of the bigger-is-better crowd... ...

LOL nope not crossed over to the bigger is better crowd at all. Still very much a part of the get what is needed to be safe & comfortable crowed - both while camping and towing. Worked way to hard to obtain what I own and just not willing to risk losing any of it no matter how slim a chance some feel that is.

As you know I towed for 6 years with a 4 cylinder SUV cross over, a trailer that was about 300lbs under the vehicles towing capacity. Even so I had to be *very* careful about how I stowed the trailer and keep my speeds down. I was aware having towed with other vehicles over the years that I could increase the comfortable tow feeing if I upsized the tug slightly in regards to power and tow cap. I actually only decided to tow with the 4 cyl originally due to having found the prefect little Scamp when the car was only a few months old - couldn't justify the financial implications of trading up at that point and the car did have a tow capacity to cover the Scamps weight - all be it just enough. So figured it was worth trying out.

Recently another vehicle at my home needed replacing so my old car/tug became its replacement - was actually going to retire it from towing either way as IMHO the towing had in fact been a bit hard on it maintenance wise. So I upsized my daily drive vehicle a little in regards to tow capacity and power - size wise its only 1' longer than my old car. l admit though it did feel a little like I had upsized to the Queen Mary at first especially as I live in a big city but got over that in a week. Even managed to figure out how to park it downtown during the Christmas rush! I find I rather like the feeling of sitting up a little higher giving way better visibility as to whats happening ahead which is always helpful especially when towing on freeways. Also like the feeling when driving in town that if that little Smart Car cuts in and out in front of me one more time I could actually just drive right over it!

The new tug has been on 3 long trips this winter so far and I have lost nothing in regards to gas milage - its getting the same on the highway as the old tug which was a full time all wheel drive. I may loose a few mpgs when towing with the new tug though but even if I do it isn't going to translate to a big enough number to be worth IMO the loss of the extra comfort of having more tow cap and power and certainly not enough to change my travel plans.

Admit though that having more tow capacity does give me a chance to take advantage of any great deals that may suddenly pop up in regards to a slightly upSIZEd (1 foot) trailer I have been wanting for awhile in order to increase the camping comfort as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #46

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Admit though that having more tow capacity does give me a chance to take advantage of any great deals that may suddenly pop up in regards to a slightly upSIZEd (1 foot) trailer I have been wanting for awhile in order to increase the camping comfort as well.
Well...O.K. then- so long as you get the semantics right, as I see you did. ...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #47

Florida
Mary and Bob,

If you're near the seacoast of NH stop by. I'll send you our address.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #48

New York
Will do for sure!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #49

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A Little Late But.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Beachy View Post
We're looking at getting a small camper like a Scamp13 and drive a 2001 CRV. The manual says the towing capacity is 1,000 lbs and the Scamp13 says it is 1,200-1,500 lbs. I've been hearing different opinions about towing with a smaller car and wondering if anyone can give us their experience with towing a small camper like Scamp with a 2001 CRV or similar vehicle.
I can't understand why the question was asked.

If someone wants to tow a 1500 lb+ trailer with a 13 y.o. vehicle that was rated to tow 1000 lbs when new.... the internet isn't the place to get permission to do so....it's a non-starter of an idea.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I can't understand why the question was asked.
Yeah- as if anyone here would ever promote such a thing...the very idea!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #51

Florida
Humor over towing with a 13 year old vehicle when the humorist tows with a 17 year old vehicle. God bless you all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #52
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
My buddy always buys 10+ year old vehicle and as a rule keeps the for another 10 to 15 years. He tows his TT from Canada to Florida every year. Works for him. A Honda tends to be more reliable than a Ford.
Attached Thumbnails
rae 113-1334e_IMG.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #53

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that the towing capacity and condition of the vehicle is more critical to the discussion than the age.

Intentionally starting out with a 50%+ overload isn't a good idea no matter how new or old a vehicle might be, and I have yet to see any that improved their towing capacity with age.

Me, my Blazer 2 dr is 11 years old and has but 60,000 miles on the clock. But towing a 1200 lb Hunter with a 2000-5700 lb towing capacity, is much more in line, irregardless of age.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #54

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Beachy View Post
We're looking at getting a small camper like a Scamp13 and drive a 2001 CRV. The manual says the towing capacity is 1,000 lbs and the Scamp13 says it is 1,200-1,500 lbs. I've been hearing different opinions about towing with a smaller car and wondering if anyone can give us their experience with towing a small camper like Scamp with a 2001 CRV or similar vehicle.
I think it won't be a pleasant experience.. for the you or the 2001 CRV. As for the "similar" vehicle, I'd have to see what that was before making an opinion.

I have towed with less vehicle than was needed. I did get there, didn't kill anyone, didn't break down, miracles probably involved. I definately enjoy the towing experience more with "too much" vehicle. Never see anyone complain about having too much tow vehicle. Tons of complaints from those with not enough tow vehicle. (-:}
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Humor over towing with a 13 year old vehicle when the humorist tows with a 17 year old vehicle. God bless you all.
You must be referring to some other humorist with a 17 year old vehicle, since mine has a 2000/200 pound stated capacity and I'm most scrupulous about staying within it.

Plus I'm not that funny.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #56

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Oh common Francesca. You are quite funny.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Oh common Francesca. You are quite funny.
In a "common" sort of way?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #58

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Spell check has failed me again.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #59
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that the towing capacity and condition of the vehicle is more critical to the discussion than the age.
Agree Bob. A tow vehicle in top mechanical condition and one towing a trailer within it's overall capabilities is a good place to start when putting together a TV/trailer combination.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #60

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
In a "common" sort of way?
Commonly funny. Funnily common? Nah.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote