Towing with 2012 Ford Escape V6 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-06-2016, 03:31 AM   #15

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I just ordered my 2016 Ford Escape SE 201A model with 2.0 L turbo charge engine and tow package that includes hitch and transmission cooler. I was told by Ford they will only promote towing above 2,000 lbs on any 4 cylinder Escape IF it has the 2.0 L turbo engine. I was told the tow package has to be put on at factory (for $500) to have the cooling necessary for lease company to "let" me tow even then. But, capacity is up to 3500 they said. My 16 ft. Casita is 1,600 empty, I will not port water, 450 lbs in passengers. So that leaves me 1100 lbs in "stuff" I can tow, including 1 propane tank, and not go over the 10% margin. Now I gotta figure out if I can get a bike rack and 3 bikes and sill stay safe. Should I put the bikes on the Escape or the Casita bumper or hitch?

Old 03-06-2016, 04:34 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
My vote would be for a roof rack on the car.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
My vote would be for a roof rack on the car.
I agree. Second best would IMO be on the Casita tongue... if you could find room among the battery and LP. To put bikes on the Casita's bumper probably would require some welding and fabrication to get something strong enough, and it would affect balance (with sway potential) more than any other location.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Love it!...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0045.JPG   DSCF0046.JPG  

scamp pictures 013.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #19

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn w Autistic kid View Post
I just ordered my 2016 Ford Escape SE 201A model with 2.0 L turbo charge engine and tow package that includes hitch and transmission cooler. I was told by Ford they will only promote towing above 2,000 lbs on any 4 cylinder Escape IF it has the 2.0 L turbo engine. I was told the tow package has to be put on at factory (for $500) to have the cooling necessary for lease company to "let" me tow even then. But, capacity is up to 3500 they said. My 16 ft. Casita is 1,600 empty, I will not port water, 450 lbs in passengers. So that leaves me 1100 lbs in "stuff" I can tow, including 1 propane tank, and not go over the 10% margin. Now I gotta figure out if I can get a bike rack and 3 bikes and sill stay safe. Should I put the bikes on the Escape or the Casita bumper or hitch?
We had a transmission cooler installed on our Escape. Our local dealer told us we were fine towing the Scamp with our Escape.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Very timely and informative photos, Floyd!

Tags
escape