Towing with a 2005 Toyota 4Runner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Towing with a 2005 Toyota 4Runner

Just got an older, 2005 Toyota 4 Runner, with low miles and a 100K 4 year full warrantee on it. I will be towing my Casita Freedom Deluxe cross country next summer.
Has anyone towed or had any issues with the 4Runner?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Make sure that 4 Runner warranty doesn’t have a warranty exclusion for towing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #3

Name: Chas
Trailer: Escape 21 - previously 16' Scamp
Washington
I had a 2004 4Runner w/4.7L V8 to tow my 16' Scamp and Escape 21. Totally competent tow vehicle. My only problem with it was that it didn't have enough interior space to carry my 2 bicycles and all the rest of the junk that I like to haul around, so I changed to a Ford Transit with the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Ford has way more power, interior area and somewhat better fuel economy, but nowhere near as luxurious a ride as the Toyota.
CVZ
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I used to have one, but didn't have a camper back then. Even though ours was the v6, that thing had torque for days. I can't imagine it having much trouble with a fiberglass trailer.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #5

Mine has the V6 and it shifts like butter. The insurance plan covers all even if towing because the vehicle has a factory tow package. If it was an aftermarket they would void it and I was told they wouldn't even let me buy the Warrantee.
I will need to get use to the heavy frame and shocks as it has the Tundra Truck frame under it and is a lot stiffer then my 04 Chevy Blazer.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
The 4th Gen 4runner is not built on a Tundra platform.

It is on an FJ Cruiser platform which it shares with the Lexus GX and this is much smaller and shorter wheelbase than any Tundra ever was.

They are more like the Tacoma than any other truck.

Find a good 4runner forum and read up there,plenty pf towing info from actual experience others have had towing with that truck.

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Which trim level is it?

The Sport has a somewhat proprietary shock system and many just rip it out and replace with standard shocks when it is time otherwise there are many options for making the 4r a better tow rig you will find.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #7

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Gerry,

Your V8 4Runner will be a fantastic tow vehicle for you Casita 17’ FD. We tow our ‘05 Casita 17’ FD with an ‘09 V8 Kia Borrego (Kia’s short-lived answer to the 4Runner).

Happy Camping,

Dean
Old 12-07-2018, 04:53 AM   #8

Thanks Ed, I was a bit confused and thought it was short for a Tundra frame. I guess it was the Tacoma the salesman compared it to.
Does anyone know if there is a plug in, under dash where I will just plug in my Break Controller?

The dealer had a controller he had cut out of another vehicle he sent to Auction and he gave it to me. I was told I could buy just the plug and plug it into the existing plug under dash if there was one.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Thanks Ed, I was a bit confused and thought it was short for a Tundra frame. I guess it was the Tacoma the salesman compared it to.
Does anyone know if there is a plug in, under dash where I will just plug in my Break Controller?

The dealer had a controller he had cut out of another vehicle he sent to Auction and he gave it to me. I was told I could buy just the plug and plug it into the existing plug under dash if there was one.
Scary what the people who sell you the car know about what they tell you?

Yes the 4runner should have a connector under the cover plate under the steering wheel that a connector can wire into your brake control.
Is there a 7 way connector out back by the hitch?
If not there should be another connector under the bumper there where you can also plug in at that end but if as you say there is already a tow package the back end should be there unless someone else "needed" it too.

Again there is a large thread on the forum that I linked to about towing that is helpful.

The 4R is pretty much of a Beast and should be fine although you might need or want a WD hitch depending upon how much drop you get when hitching the tongue heavy FD too?
The truck is built on a full frame though unlike many newer UniBody wanna be SUVs these days and mine handled towing well as long as I was careful obviously.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #10

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
I’ve been towing with a 2006 V6 4Runner Sport since 2006. Tows like a dream. Before that I towed with a 1996 V6 4Runner. I’ll be getting another one before too long. The smallest camper I’ve towed was a 17’ Casita.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #11

Took a trip down to local RV dealers today and found the wire harness that goes from the controller to the plug that has yet to be found under the dash. I did see in the manual that it is under the steering wheel but with temps down in the teens and I with company visiting didn't want to start crawling around on the icy driveway to see if I could find it.
I looked quick but didn't have time to get into it, Hell I didn't have my flashlight with me.
Will locate tomorrow when I have the day to mess with it.
Thanks Ed for all the advice and the web page on the 4Runner.
Gerry
Sounds like I made a sound investment.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #12

Name: Robbie
California
I miss my 05 4R

Best Tug I ever had. Sold it because it had 150K on it and I got nervous.

“Plug and Play” for the Brake controller. The plug for the Brake Controler is a little hard to find under the Dash and may have a Dummy Plastic Blank plugged in it.

I might be wrong but i think the TT Charging line is already wired into the 7PIN connector in the back so it really is “Plug and Play”.

The only problem Ive really heard of with the Old 4R’s is sometimes the Rear Axel might have problems in the Pumkin but it’s fairly rare and apparently you can hear it start to whine before it goes giving you warning.

You might consider replacing the running gear fluids with Synthetic since they’re probably pretty old.
Rob in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

Name: Doug
Ohio
I have a 2007 4runner SR5 V6 towing a 17’ Casita with a heavy duty weight distribution system. In my opinion, there’s not as much torque with the V6 as I’d like to have. That means lots of downshifting on steep hills or mountains.

Note that while the V8 comes with a weight distributing hitch, the V-6 comes with a weight bearing hitch, which is only bolted to the rear crossmember. It won’t distribute weight properly until you get rid of that and put in a true weight distributing hitch which bolts to the side rails of the frame. You can fine compatible hitches online.
dougjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #14

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Wow I didn't even realize they started making the 4Runners with V8s. Crazy.

I still tow with my 98 Tacoma, 3.4L V6, 250,000 miles and still going strong on the original engine, clutch and 5-speed tranny.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Wow I didn't even realize they started making the 4Runners with V8s. Crazy.

I still tow with my 98 Tacoma, 3.4L V6, 250,000 miles and still going strong on the original engine, clutch and 5-speed tranny.
Only 4th Generation so I guess you missed them too.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjose View Post
I have a 2007 4runner SR5 V6 towing a 17’ Casita with a heavy duty weight distribution system. In my opinion, there’s not as much torque with the V6 as I’d like to have. That means lots of downshifting on steep hills or mountains.

Note that while the V8 comes with a weight distributing hitch, the V-6 comes with a weight bearing hitch, which is only bolted to the rear crossmember. It won’t distribute weight properly until you get rid of that and put in a true weight distributing hitch which bolts to the side rails of the frame. You can fine compatible hitches online.
As of yet, I haven't had a chance even to hitch up the Casita and tow anything as early snow here in the Western Mt's of Maine has both the Casita and Boler in their winter sleeping place down back.
I do have 4th gen. model and will have to take a look under the back to see just how the hitch is bolted to the frame.
As far as torque, some have written it has plenty and some say not. Guess I'll find out next spring when we do get out on the road.

I am having a bit of trouble finding a good spot to mount the break controller.
I did locate the vehicle plug and that's no problem as wire is long enough to reach anywhere but a spot that will be level enough for the controller to work is the issue.
Where have others placed their controller on their 4Runners???
Old 12-13-2018, 05:28 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I am having a bit of trouble finding a good spot to mount the break controller.
I did locate the vehicle plug and that's no problem as wire is long enough to reach anywhere but a spot that will be level enough for the controller to work is the issue.
Where have others placed their controller on their 4Runners???
Gerry, can't help with the 4R location but you didn't say which model brake controller you have. If it's a P 2 or 3, it only needs to be level side to side and can be any degree front to back. Think my P2 is tilted up around 30* in my Ranger.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Gerry, can't help with the 4R location but you didn't say which model brake controller you have. If it's a P 2 or 3, it only needs to be level side to side and can be any degree front to back. Think my P2 is tilted up around 30* in my Ranger.
Yea Dave, I have downloaded the manual for my controller and it says that t has to be level, right to left, and can be as much as 70* tilted up. The dash under the steering wheel is almost at this 70* and if I try to mount it down at the bottom of the dash, I will ram my knees into it. If I can mount it on the inside of the steering wheel it wont be so bad.
It has been to darn cold up here the past 2 weeks to go out and do a real deep inspection of it.
I may have to build another bracket system to hold it away from dash so I can get into the 70* angle so the back doesn't hit the dash when it is hanging.

Has anyone ever mounted one on top of dash or is the sun light too much for it?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #19

I am pretty sure the V6 4th gen have a lower tow rating than the V8 versions because the hitch itself is not mounted in the same way and thus can not safely tow the same load.

I also think that both are rated high enough to safely tow a 17' Casita but again this is something that is simple to check.
Look at the tag on the door frame and I think this info is stamped right on there?
If not it is still not Rocket Surgery to find out for sure.

When people say that one has a Weight Distributing Hitch and one does not I think this is not the best way to phrase that especially on here where the Term Weight Distribution Hitch possibly has another different meaning.

The difference on the truck is just how the actual hitch is mounted to the frame of the truck vs maybe mounted to the bumper instead in the V6 model.
So the hitch mount itself may have its mount points distributed further across the frame of the truck.

Weight Distribution Hitch talked about here is usually talking about the bars and chains between the truck hitch and the trailer tongue that are designed to shift the tongue load of the trailer to the front axle from the rear axle to level out the tow and restore handling and braking performance if yo are sagging in the rear too much when towing,the truck I mean!

Both are important obviously to get right but they are 2 very different issues.

Some feel that the way the V6 hitch is mounted might not be strong enough to use an actual WDH with them and if you agree luckily the frame mount heavier hitch is simple and inexpensive to switch out in a 4runner too.

Oddly there seems to be some mental block within the 4runner community including at the dealerships about these differences in the 4th gen 4runner hitch mounts too?
Like I said refer to the tag on the truck and/or the manual for the truck to see what it says about capacity.

Also there is a really great online VIN search on Toyotas website where you can see the exact configuration of your truck from the factory which I think also tells this info.
You sign up for the Toyota Owners club or something like that and you can get this info as well as any dealer performed service and recall info that has been logged for it over the years.

Can be pretty handy and Lexus offers the same thing!
Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #20

Also

https://www.google.com/search?ei=dVY...iz.gY9wGLSMnv4