Towing with a 2008 BMW X3 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We used a Casia 16 for a year and bought a Scamp 16. We choose the Scamp 16 over the Casita 16 because the Scamp is 6'1" or so inside and the Casita 16 is 5' 10" and I'm 6'1".

We took our Scamp 16 to a basically Casita rally in mid-Texas. On show and tell day most people felt our Scamp was bigger than their Casita 16s. They're basically identical in size.

The lack of a front bath (our's is layout 4 with the side bath, and the Scamp's front window just make the Scamp feel larger as does the higher ceiling. As well the aisle width is greater in the Scamp.

The Casita 16 is also heavier than the Scamp 16. We considered a taller Casita 17. It's front bath visually makes it seem smaller than it is. The main reason we did not buy the Casita 17 was it's comparatively high tongue weights.

We visited the Scamp factory and were told the Casita factory used to be right next door. The trailers have much in common. We liked them both but height won for us.

You can see ours in the following rather long thread Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16

Glad toa nswer any questions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
30% sale that's a good reduction in price, I understand they're not taking orders until early 2016 they do sell fast. Casitas and Scamps are easier to come by and you have a bigger support base I think.
Funny enough at the big fiberglass rally in Oregon last summer there where way more Escapes than Scamps and they were a very close second in number to Casitas..... lots of former Scamp and Casita owners here who currently own Escapes. A number of folks here are actually on their second Escape or have the second one on order.

I think you will find that most of the owners of the Escapes will tell you the customer service is one of the big things they find great about Escapes. No matter where you haul the trailer they will make sure you are looked after.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Towing with a 2008 BMW X3

Quote:
...is there a big difference between a 16' scamp and a 16' casita? Which one would have the largest interior space or are they similar eg; width, bathroom size, bed size and kitchen area. I'm assuming that the interior length would be roughly the same...
They're pretty similar in seems of overall size, type and quality of construction, and price (similarly equipped), but many differences in execution.
  • Scamp is lined with two layers of foil bubble wrap covered with marine headliner**. Casita is lined with foam-backed carpet.
  • Scamp has an exposed, resin-coated OSB floor underneath. Casita has a full fiberglass skin covering the OSB floor on the bottom. It adds weight and could trap moisture, but looks cleaner. There's no functional advantage either way.
  • Scamp comes with 13" wheels. Casita comes with 15" wheels.
  • Scamp interior height is 6'2". Casita interior height is 5'10".
  • Scamp has a sliding rear window. Casita has a fixed rear window.
  • Scamp has shallower cabinets and a wider aisle. Casita has deeper cabinets and a narrower aisle.
  • Scamp offers two different bath options: side or front. The side bath is smaller, but the trade-off is a larger galley and more storage. Casita only offers a front bath, which is similar in size to Scamp's front bath.
  • Scamp is available with a fiberglass interior or a custom wood interior. The wood interior has a wider dinette bed (54"x76" vs 45"x76" on standard models). Casita only offers fiberglass and has a 45"x76" dinette bed, except...
  • Casita offers a twin/king bed layout (Liberty model) for those who want a really big bed. Scamp does not offer anything like it.
**Scamp's claim of R-15 is probably bunkum, but I like their system nonetheless.

Watch out for a terminology difference as you're shopping. In Scamp-speak, "deluxe" means wood interior and "standard" means fiberglass interior. In Casita-speak, "deluxe" means bathroom, and "standard" means no bathroom (sofa/bunk instead).

Hope that is of some help.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How so? The appliances are common throughout the RV industry and have service and warranty shops all over North America. If there is a warranty issue with the trailer itself, Escape arranges to get it repaired at a shop where you are.
Remember the OP has an X3. No Escape will tow like a Scamp or a smaller Casita with that TV.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Remember the OP has an X3. No Escape will tow like a Scamp or a smaller Casita with that TV.
You think?

[QUOTE = Presently I own a 2008 BMW X3 and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a used 16' or 17' trailer either a scamp or casita. I need to know if my vehicle would be up to the task. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a hitch weight of 350 lbs. [QUOTE]

Same towing capacity and hitch capacity as my RAV4 V6 Sport, which has been towing my Escape 17B superbly for seven years. His BMW is even a 2008.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #20

IllAnnoy
Registry
[QUOTE=Glenn Baglo;556075]You think?

[QUOTE = Presently I own a 2008 BMW X3 and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a used 16' or 17' trailer either a scamp or casita. I need to know if my vehicle would be up to the task. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a hitch weight of 350 lbs.
Quote:

Same towing capacity and hitch capacity as my RAV4 V6 Sport, which has been towing my Escape 17B superbly for seven years. His BMW is even a 2008.
No doubt, the numbers and I both agree with you, assuming there is an even greater superlative to be found.
I didn't suggest that the X3 wouldn't tow an Escape, as you say a RAV4 can do the job.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #21

Name: pete
Trailer: Trillium
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Hello All,
I have been monitoring this site for a few weeks along with other FGRV sites. Presently I own a 2008 BMW X3 and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a used 16' or 17' trailer either a scamp or casita. I need to know if my vehicle would be up to the task. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a hitch weight of 350 lbs.
MY wife and I are retired and plan on hitting the road next spring to catch some Blues Festivals, that's one of our passions. Any comments would be appreciated.
I have a 2014 X3 and pull a 16' Trillium 4500 with no issue. Not sure how the weights compare but I hardly notice that I'm pulling the Trillium at all.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Funny enough at the big fiberglass rally in Oregon last summer there where way more Escapes than Scamps and they were a very close second in number to Casitas..... lots of former Scamp and Casita owners here who currently own Escapes. A number of folks here are actually on their second Escape or have the second one on order.

I think you will find that most of the owners of the Escapes will tell you the customer service is one of the big things they find great about Escapes. No matter where you haul the trailer they will make sure you are looked after.
We see very few Escapes in the Midwest, but of course the company isn't that old. Oregon is close to the Escape factory which might account for your observation.
Those who are buying their second Escape are most likely doing so to move up to larger models and not due to wear and tear.
Escape, like some others, has moved up in size with every change and has drawn those customers who want larger trailers along with each new model. This is all well and good, but the result has been to split the fiberglass genre down the middle.
Traditionally, the fiberglass genre has consisted of mostly small trailers built to be towed with normal sized family vehicles. These trailers are still the core of the business and a dividing line is starting to form separating large from small. The line is a bit amorphous right now but is rapidly becoming more clear.
Trailer size is the obvious difference but more subtle changes tend to track that difference such as travel and camping styles as well as length of trips and length of stays.
I have a Scamp13, which is the sole reason I have a travel trailer at all.
The size, towability, and versatility fit my travel style and habits in a way that nothing larger could provide.
The popularity of the larger trailers seems to be linked more to the buyer who has more traditional needs but wants the improved quality and resale of fiberglass construction.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #23

British Columbia
Not all trailers are on this map. Just those who chose to put themselves on the map.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 12.39.15 PM.jpg  
Old 10-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Those who are buying their second Escape are most likely doing so to move up to larger models and not due to wear and tear.
Escape, like some others, has moved up in size with every change and has drawn those customers who want larger trailers along with each new model. This is all well and good, but the result has been to split the fiberglass genre down the middle.
Traditionally, the fiberglass genre has consisted of small trailers built to be towed with normal sized family vehicles. These trailers are still the core of the business and a dividing line is starting to form separating large from small. The line is a bit amorphous right now but is rapidly becoming more clear.

Yes most who are going for their 2nd Escape are indeed doing so for a new one - often larger. They do still offer the 17' and it remains a popular trailer.

As far as Fiberglass trailers traditionally being small goes I think you are forgetting about Bigfoot who built larger fiberglass trailers for years. Or the "Bigger" which was not light weight or small ;-) Only problem was due to the cost of a Bigfoot it was out of the reach of many who truly wanted to stay with a fiberglass trailer while moving up in size to fit their needs.

Escape did a good job of recognizing there was a market for fiberglass trailers a bit bigger than the 17' but smaller than the big 25' Bigfoot offered..... Some would say they have proven without a doubt that there was indeed a demand for them ;-)

Remember the OP has an X3. No Escape will tow like a Scamp or a smaller Casita with that TV

I see no reason why the X3 would not do just as good a job of pulling a 17 Escape as it would a 16' Scamp or a Casita.

I know a number of people pulling 17'Escapes all over NA with smaller tow vehicles with no problems/complaints. They are pulling them with Toyota Venza V6, RAV4 and Ford Escapes for example.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:

I see no reason why the X3 would not do just as good a job of pulling a 17 Escape as it would a 16' Scamp or a Casita.

That's why I made the comment and not you!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #26

British Columbia
Floyd,

You are such a scamp.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #27

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Yes most who are going for their 2nd Escape are indeed doing so for a new one - often larger. They do still offer the 17' and it remains a popular trailer.

As far as Fiberglass trailers traditionally being small goes I think you are forgetting about Bigfoot who built larger fiberglass trailers for years. Or the "Biggar" which was not light weight or small ;-) Only problem was due to the cost of a Bigfoot it was out of the reach of many who truly wanted to stay with a fiberglass trailer while moving up in size to fit their needs.
I didn't forget the atypical examples you cited,and you come close to making a valid point, until you start to consider early production numbers. I suppose it may still be said that the exception proves the rule.

Upon review of our two whole comments (22&24) there is hardly any extant disparity.
However like the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" which modified the entry on Earth by adding the word "mostly", I have done the same to comment #22 in order to bring us into a position of even greater agreement!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
That's why I made the comment and not you!
Ok I will bite, whats is/was the bases of "your" comment?