Towing with a 2008 BMW X3 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=floyd;556271]

3] I understand that the 17s are being produced by special order in a smaller number than Casita13s.

Really? Where did you hear/read that?
Nothing on their website to suggest that. No announcement on the Escape News section of the owners forum either that I can see.

I do know though that their production of the 17' is sold out for del'v in 2016 but so are all the other sizes.

I am also aware they did some time ago suspended further production on the 15' due to it being the slowest moving size in their offerings. I was told that the majority of buyers who went to look at their trailers and thought they were going to buy a 15' changed their minds once they saw the 17'.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #42
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Hi Raz,
Thanks for the comparison.
Jon did the hard work not me
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Trying to convince somebody that needs and wants a 46" belt that they should buy a 32" belt is a difficult sell. Which is why this thread leads nowhere.
Measuring somebody's waist and then explaining the different belts available helps the belt buyer to make up his mind.
He might then realize he doesn't have the stomach for a larger belt.

This thread has helped that much and at least kept your interest, and maybe helped the advertisement rates! Besides its all in good fun!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #44

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I think the thread has gone a little sideways from the OP's original question and rather than answer his question it appears to have become more about personal preferences to trailer sizes and brands.

The OP said "thinking about purchasing a used 16' or 17' trailer either a scamp or casita. I need to know if my vehicle would be up to the task. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a hitch weight of 350 lbs. "

Appears they have no plans to go out and buy a new vehicle to pull a 16' or 17' trailer. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest they know that the larger/heavier the trailer the more they are going to notice it behind their tow vehicle.

Lots of folks new to fiberglass trailers and this forum are unaware there are a number of other trailer manufactures out there other than Scamp and Casita to consider, which is why some of us have thrown other manufactures names out on the table for consideration.

How many times have we had someone post here something like this: " Gezzz I finally got to see X Brand trailer at a meet this week - wish I had seen that before I bought my trailer".

The OP's car is if I am not mistaken a 3L 6 cylinder vehicle. IMO it should have no issues with pulling many of the makes/layouts of 16' or 17' fiberglass trailers, with the exception of some of the models of Casita's which looking at the Real World Weight thread are going to be heavier than what they may want, especially on the tongue and the very popular 17.4 Bigfoot which is probable the heaviest of them all in the size of trailer they are considering purchasing. Although older model 17' Bigfoots are a bit lighter than newer models.

Another brand name to throw out there is a Trillium. The OP is looking for a USED trailer and there are lots of folks who love their Trillium 5500 although its a 1' bigger than 17' at 5.5 meters. But it does weigh in within the OP's vehicle specs, all be it to the max.

I know when I was looking for my first fiberglass trailer I was sure based on what I had read here and by looking at pictures, which trailer I was going to buy. Once I saw it in real life and had a chance to look at other brands and sizes I realized I was not going to be a happy camper in the one I originally thought I would be.

I LOVE my current trailer BUT having used it a lot I know it does not meet my future longterm camping needs/wants. Like the OP I want to use the vehicle I already own. So I am happy to hear from folks as to other brands and sizes I might want to consider without the need to buy a new tow vehicle. In my perfect world I would buy another trailer but keep the Scamp if finances permitted it. :-)

What the OP buys in the end is really totally up to them, it may not be the trailer make or size I would buy but it does not matter, as long as they find the one that fits their want/need list & they can tow it safely with their vehicle, just as those of us who already own a trailer got to do.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #45

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Hello All,
I have been monitoring this site for a few weeks along with other FGRV sites. Presently I own a 2008 BMW X3 and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a used 16' or 17' trailer either a scamp or casita. I need to know if my vehicle would be up to the task. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a hitch weight of 350 lbs.
MY wife and I are retired and plan on hitting the road next spring to catch some Blues Festivals, that's one of our passions. Any comments would be appreciated.
Hi, Godfrey,

As Carol and I have said, the Escape 17' is still on the regular line-up of Escape trailers. You are interested in Scamp and Casita. I thought I wanted one of those. Then many of us also became aware of other models including Escape and that is where we ended up. There are lots of owners who have also moved from another fiberglass trailer to Escape partly because Escape will build what a customer wants as far as many options.

There is surely a 17' in your region that you could see if you want, just to have another consideration. The exchange rate is so incredible, which it was not in recent years and an Escape a while ago cost more than the price in Canadian dollars, so that is a huge factor now in favor of American buyers.

So you might just ask Escape Trailer Industries to give you a name of someone who would show theirs. Some people don't mind waiting for the production schedule to get to them but, as mentioned, it is now over a year out. Used 17's do come up regularly. There is also the Escape forum. Good luck!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #46

Name: Godfrey
Trailer: In the Market
New Jersey
Thanks for all the comments I really got a load of information.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #47

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Quebec
BMW X3

We tow our 1977 Trillium 4500 with a 2007 BMW X3. It has been a dream - never any problem handling hills, always lots of power. On the highway, you don't even know you're pulling a trailer (until you look in the mirror) and can cruise along very comfortably at 100-110 km/hr with the flow of traffic.

Getting the brake controller installed was a little tricky due to the location of the battery in the BMW but the trailer brakes work well.

We are very pleased with our X3. Good luck with your new trailer!

Barb and Mike
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
BarbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #48

Name: Godfrey
Trailer: In the Market
New Jersey
Thanks Barb appreciate the reply,
You mentioned the brake controller what do I need to know, anything that you can share would be a big help.
I went to the bolerama.org website checked out the trillium bouchure it's a very nice trailer looks spacious.

Pappy
Mickleton, New Jersey
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #49

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Thanks Barb appreciate the reply,
You mentioned the brake controller what do I need to know, anything that you can share would be a big help.
I went to the bolerama.org website checked out the trillium bouchure it's a very nice trailer looks spacious.

Pappy
Mickleton, New Jersey
I've been in virtually every Fiberglass trailer made and I would not call any of them spacious. My suggestion is you visit a fiberglass rally and get the feel of fiberglass trailers. Some are bigger than others but they all fill up their space with beds, tables, appliances, 'cozy' is the best I could say to define a comfortable trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote