Towing with a 2008 BMW X3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: Godfrey
Trailer: In the Market
New Jersey
Towing with a 2008 BMW X3

Hello All,
I have been monitoring this site for a few weeks along with other FGRV sites. Presently I own a 2008 BMW X3 and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a used 16' or 17' trailer either a scamp or casita. I need to know if my vehicle would be up to the task. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a hitch weight of 350 lbs.
MY wife and I are retired and plan on hitting the road next spring to catch some Blues Festivals, that's one of our passions. Any comments would be appreciated.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Beware of the Casita 17s. They are typically quite tongue heavy. According to the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World*, the average loaded weight of a Casita 17D is 3300 pounds with a 425 pound tongue weight.

*Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data. You can filter by length, make, and/or model and calculate stats.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome, I have not pulled with a BMW but another smaller sport utility vehicle that I found to give a nice solid tow, as such I suspect you will not be disappointed in the BMW's ability to do the same. Hopefully someone who has pulled with a BMW will chime in.

A great place to start your search is the thread Trailer Weights In The Real World to get an idea as to what you can expect the various Fiberglass trailers to weigh loaded for camping.

Sellers are notorious for understating the weights of the trailers they are selling - many go by a 25-30 year old piece a paper stuck someplace in the trailer that is not at all reliable as to what the trailer actually weighs even empty.

Have fun searching for your perfect trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A 16 Scamp would fit the bill nicely.
It tows like a dream and your car would like it!
Larger trailers would be better suited to larger TVs.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

New Jersey
Thank you all for the responses I'LL check the spreadsheet, but is there a big difference between a 16' scamp and a 16' casita? Which one would have the largest interior space or are they similar eg; width, bathroom size, bed size and kitchen area. I'm assuming that the interior length would be roughly the same.

I found a thread with most of the questions that I was asking "Scamp or Casita" on this website.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Thank you all for the responses I'LL check the spreadsheet, but is there a big difference between a 16' scamp and a 16' casita? Which one would have the largest interior space or are they similar eg; width, bathroom size, bed size and kitchen area. I'm assuming that the interior length would be roughly the same.

I found a thread with most of the questions that I was asking "Scamp or Casita" on this website.
Each make has different layouts and each layout looks and feels different inside. If you can, try and attend a fiberglass trailer rally near you so you can sit in them and decide. Pictures are not a great way of choosing which is best.

You might want to add a 17' Escape to your list as well, a very poplar trailer layout for two people and it does feel a little bit roomier inside due the shape of the trailer.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

New Jersey
Yes I agree a look at the real thing would be helpful. The escape is a little above what I want to pay I'LL stick with the casita or scamp.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Yes I agree a look at the real thing would be helpful. The escape is a little above what I want to pay I'LL stick with the casita or scamp.

Thanks
Well keep in mind a couple of things while looking at prices. Look what is optional on some makes (yet more often than not is ordered) vs what is included as standard on another - think you will find that things tend to even out when you do that. Also the Escape is in Canadian $'s and Canada is holding a 30% off sale to those purchasing in US$'s ;-)

There is of course also the used market.... best to go to the Escape forum though if you are wanting to hear about a trailer for sale first... many only list on that forum and they are often gone very fast.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not to mention that Escape isn't even taking orders until the 2017 model year...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Not to mention that Escape isn't even taking orders until the 2017 model year...
Very true in part due to thier popularity and the current deal on exchange.

One can always purchase used though if patient. There was actually a nice fairly new used one listed here just the other day.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #11

New Jersey
30% sale that's a good reduction in price, I understand they're not taking orders until early 2016 they do sell fast. Casitas and Scamps are easier to come by and you have a bigger support base I think.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:

The Scamp has a little more floor space due to wider aisles. Of course that means the cupboards are slightly shallower. The walls on the Scamp are covered on reflextix and marine fabric and the Casita has carpeted walls.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Casitas and Scamps are easier to come by and you have a bigger support base I think.
How so? The appliances are common throughout the RV industry and have service and warranty shops all over North America. If there is a warranty issue with the trailer itself, Escape arranges to get it repaired at a shop where you are.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #14

New Jersey
That's good to know about the escape support base.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We used a Casia 16 for a year and bought a Scamp 16. We choose the Scamp 16 over the Casita 16 because the Scamp is 6'1" or so inside and the Casita 16 is 5' 10" and I'm 6'1".

We took our Scamp 16 to a basically Casita rally in mid-Texas. On show and tell day most people felt our Scamp was bigger than their Casita 16s. They're basically identical in size.

The lack of a front bath (our's is layout 4 with the side bath, and the Scamp's front window just make the Scamp feel larger as does the higher ceiling. As well the aisle width is greater in the Scamp.

The Casita 16 is also heavier than the Scamp 16. We considered a taller Casita 17. It's front bath visually makes it seem smaller than it is. The main reason we did not buy the Casita 17 was it's comparatively high tongue weights.

We visited the Scamp factory and were told the Casita factory used to be right next door. The trailers have much in common. We liked them both but height won for us.

You can see ours in the following rather long thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

Glad toa nswer any questions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
30% sale that's a good reduction in price, I understand they're not taking orders until early 2016 they do sell fast. Casitas and Scamps are easier to come by and you have a bigger support base I think.
Funny enough at the big fiberglass rally in Oregon last summer there where way more Escapes than Scamps and they were a very close second in number to Casitas..... lots of former Scamp and Casita owners here who currently own Escapes. A number of folks here are actually on their second Escape or have the second one on order.

I think you will find that most of the owners of the Escapes will tell you the customer service is one of the big things they find great about Escapes. No matter where you haul the trailer they will make sure you are looked after.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Towing with a 2008 BMW X3

Quote:
...is there a big difference between a 16' scamp and a 16' casita? Which one would have the largest interior space or are they similar eg; width, bathroom size, bed size and kitchen area. I'm assuming that the interior length would be roughly the same...
They're pretty similar in seems of overall size, type and quality of construction, and price (similarly equipped), but many differences in execution.
  • Scamp is lined with two layers of foil bubble wrap covered with marine headliner**. Casita is lined with foam-backed carpet.
  • Scamp has an exposed, resin-coated OSB floor underneath. Casita has a full fiberglass skin covering the OSB floor on the bottom. It adds weight and could trap moisture, but looks cleaner. There's no functional advantage either way.
  • Scamp comes with 13" wheels. Casita comes with 15" wheels.
  • Scamp interior height is 6'2". Casita interior height is 5'10".
  • Scamp has a sliding rear window. Casita has a fixed rear window.
  • Scamp has shallower cabinets and a wider aisle. Casita has deeper cabinets and a narrower aisle.
  • Scamp offers two different bath options: side or front. The side bath is smaller, but the trade-off is a larger galley and more storage. Casita only offers a front bath, which is similar in size to Scamp's front bath.
  • Scamp is available with a fiberglass interior or a custom wood interior. The wood interior has a wider dinette bed (54"x76" vs 45"x76" on standard models). Casita only offers fiberglass and has a 45"x76" dinette bed, except...
  • Casita offers a twin/king bed layout (Liberty model) for those who want a really big bed. Scamp does not offer anything like it.
**Scamp's claim of R-15 is probably bunkum, but I like their system nonetheless.

Watch out for a terminology difference as you're shopping. In Scamp-speak, "deluxe" means wood interior and "standard" means fiberglass interior. In Casita-speak, "deluxe" means bathroom, and "standard" means no bathroom (sofa/bunk instead).

Hope that is of some help.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How so? The appliances are common throughout the RV industry and have service and warranty shops all over North America. If there is a warranty issue with the trailer itself, Escape arranges to get it repaired at a shop where you are.
Remember the OP has an X3. No Escape will tow like a Scamp or a smaller Casita with that TV.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Remember the OP has an X3. No Escape will tow like a Scamp or a smaller Casita with that TV.
You think?

[QUOTE = Presently I own a 2008 BMW X3 and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a used 16' or 17' trailer either a scamp or casita. I need to know if my vehicle would be up to the task. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a hitch weight of 350 lbs. [QUOTE]

Same towing capacity and hitch capacity as my RAV4 V6 Sport, which has been towing my Escape 17B superbly for seven years. His BMW is even a 2008.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #20

Registry
[QUOTE=Glenn Baglo;556075]You think?

[QUOTE = Presently I own a 2008 BMW X3 and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a used 16' or 17' trailer either a scamp or casita. I need to know if my vehicle would be up to the task. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a hitch weight of 350 lbs.
Quote:

Same towing capacity and hitch capacity as my RAV4 V6 Sport, which has been towing my Escape 17B superbly for seven years. His BMW is even a 2008.
No doubt, the numbers and I both agree with you, assuming there is an even greater superlative to be found.
I didn't suggest that the X3 wouldn't tow an Escape, as you say a RAV4 can do the job.