Towing with a 2018 Tiguan? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Name: Kirsten
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alberta
Towing with a 2018 Tiguan?

Hey folks! Looking to purchase a 2018 Tiguan with 4Motion and in the Comfortline trim and I'm just wondering if it's even possible to tow a 13 foot 1970s Boler? My boyfriend and I are looking to modify the Boler with removing all the kitchen components, and just use the cabinet area for storage. Also may explore the option of changing the frame from steel to aluminum if that gives more of a weight allowance.

Towing capacity of the vehicle from what I can see online is 1500 lbs, so with all our gear (including a 15.5 foot Pelican canoe on the roof rack) I'm hoping we will be ok!? Will be taking it to camp mostly in the mountains, so will need to make sure I'm a-ok on hills and such.

Any advice would be amazing!
KIBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIBOT View Post
Hey folks! Looking to purchase a 2018 Tiguan with 4Motion and in the Comfortline trim and I'm just wondering if it's even possible to tow a 13 foot 1970s Boler? My boyfriend and I are looking to modify the Boler with removing all the kitchen components, and just use the cabinet area for storage. Also may explore the option of changing the frame from steel to aluminum if that gives more of a weight allowance.

Towing capacity of the vehicle from what I can see online is 1500 lbs, so with all our gear (including a 15.5 foot Pelican canoe on the roof rack) I'm hoping we will be ok!? Will be taking it to camp mostly in the mountains, so will need to make sure I'm a-ok on hills and such.

Personally, I think that it would be cutting it close. I'm not sure why the tiguan was downrated in towing from 2200 a year ago to 1500 for this year, but it may be due to suspension changes. I think the 150lb tongue weight limit will be what your up against. Also, don't forget to check the gross vehicle weight rating for the car and the trailer once you figure in passengers , gear and the canoe in the car and the camper. The engine makes plenty of power so the mountains should not be a problem, i tow a 2013 scamp 13 front bunk model with a Lexus nx200t which is also a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo with 235hp and 258ftlbs with no problem and it is rated at 2,000 lbs towing capacity so similar specs, i am looking into air bag suspension helpers as even though I am within the 200lb tongue weight limit the car sits a little lower than I would like in the back and thats with 1 passenger in the back and no gear at all in the car.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Check out the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section (post #297 links to a spreadsheet). It reveals a lot of variation in 13' trailers. Weighing yours fully loaded is a good idea.

My gut tells me this is going to be marginal.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #4

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Check out the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section (post #297 links to a spreadsheet). It reveals a lot of variation in 13' trailers. Weighing yours fully loaded is a good idea.

My gut tells me this is going to be marginal.
Do you think it would make a difference if I remove all the kitchen components and change the frame to aluminum?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Do you think it would make a difference if I remove all the kitchen components and change the frame to aluminum?
At that price point, unless you can get the frame done by someone you know for cheap its probably not worth it. The kitchen components don't really weigh much, the fridge is the heaviest at 45lbs. i'm not sure of the weight of the frame, but you would have to use fairly thick gauge aluminum for the frame so the savings there wouldn't be as big as you think. After all of that, you would have a stripped down Boler and still after packing it, be pretty close to the limit of the car. Those modifications wouldn't net more than maybe 300lbs savings
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Personally, I think that it would be cutting it close. I'm not sure why the tiguan was downrated in towing from 2200 a year ago to 1500 for this year, but it may be due to suspension changes. I think the 150lb tongue weight limit will be what your up against. Also, don't forget to check the gross vehicle weight rating for the car and the trailer once you figure in passengers , gear and the canoe in the car and the camper. The engine makes plenty of power so the mountains should not be a problem, i tow a 2013 scamp 13 front bunk model with a Lexus nx200t which is also a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo with 235hp and 258ftlbs with no problem and it is rated at 2,000 lbs towing capacity so similar specs, i am looking into air bag suspension helpers as even though I am within the 200lb tongue weight limit the car sits a little lower than I would like in the back and thats with 1 passenger in the back and no gear at all in the car.
Yeah I have no idea why it was changed for the tow capacity, kind of a bummer.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Post #1 says you've not yet bought the vehicle, so I'd just look for a more capable tow.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:

Kirsten,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with others that this would be very marginal. Also, the canoe would add an additional load by adding some wind resistance.

If you like the German blood in the Tiguan, consider an Audi Q5 with its 4,400 lb rated towing capacity. We towed a Casita with a Q5 and it was extremely competent. You could get a low-mileage Q5 for the same money as a new Tiguan.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Towing with a 2018 Tiguan?

Good advice from Mike. I suspect the reduction in the Tiguan's tow rating may be a reflecting of testing to the new J2807 standards. Or maybe they just want you to buy an Atlas...
Old 10-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
I think the aluminum frame would be a waste of time and money, plus probably heavier. Look at an aluminum rim vs a steel one and the aluminum is considerably heavier.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
I think the aluminum frame would be a waste of time and money, plus probably heavier. Look at an aluminum rim vs a steel one and the aluminum is considerably heavier.
that depends a lot on the quality of the alloy rim, and what alloy is used. good ones are considerably LIGHTER than steel, but significantly more expensive. I'd hazard to guess that an aluminum trailer frame would be made from a 6061 or similar alloy, similar to aircraft frames.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
The bigger point is it seems like a waste of money to put an expensive aluminum frame under a 13' trailer just to scrape by with a marginally-rated tow vehicle you haven't even bought yet.

If you're committed to the 13' Boler, look for a tow vehicle with a rating of at least 2000-2500#. There are plenty to choose from in the mid-size crossover class, some rated 3500# or higher. Note that that tow ratings assume only a driver (sometimes one passenger) and no cargo. Extra margin allows you to carry more in the vehicle, like that canoe and other outdoor toys.

If you're really committed to a Tiguan, consider a different, smaller trailer. The Meerkat comes to mind, or a vintage Eriba Puck on which it is based, if you can find one. The Puck was designed for air-cooled VW's, so there's a certain appropriateness.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
As a VW fan I would skip the Tiguan altogether.
The fuel mileage, resalex, towing, and reliability are all lacking.
I would bet my Town & Country gets better mileage and if it still has the 2.0 turbo it can be a problem.
If it has the 1.8 TSI now then maybe.
I towed with a VW TDI 2.0 and was happy, but my wife is happier with the T&C.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
The 2018- Tiguans are the second generation, built on the MQB platform rather than the first generation PQ46.

I agree that the '18 Tiguan + Boler as you suggest loading it is a marginal combination. My guess that the lower towing capacity compared with the first generation has to do with optional 3rd row seating that's available in the '18. That extra passenger space uses up the total cargo capacity available.

One suggestion would be to save some money and but a slightly used 1st gen Tiguan (2017 and earlier). That gives you a 700 lb. increase in tow capacity (2,200 vs. 1,500)

I have a 2009 Tiguan with 6 Spd. manual and I find it to be a very good tow vehicle for lighter weight trailers. It has an ultra short distance between the rear axle and the tow ball which is a great attribute for towing.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #15

Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
One thing that suprises me is that no-one brought up the fact that the inside furniture (caabinets & benches) supports the sides and usually also supports the roof. With these removed, the trailer starts to sag, and then the door will not seal, as well as a myriad of other problems.
DO NOT REMOVE the interior to try saving weight.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I live in the mountains myself (yes, western NC has mountains!), and I find that mountains really tax marginal tow situations. What might work in a flat, low elevation area does not work here.

IMHO, tow ratings do not take into account terrain at all. Do yourself a favor and get a tow vehicle with a healthy margin of safety. This means either a different tow vehicle or a different trailer like a teardrop.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Time for the grumpy old man to report in...

+1 on Thrifty Bill's recommendation. Pop ups and teardrops are good starter trailers for the weight rating challenged.

Removing the filled fridge (to pick one example) and replacing it with a cooler filled with food and ice isn't all that impressive a weight savings. (Although I suppose you could transport an empty cooler and buy everything once you arrive and then toss everything before leaving.) Since vehicles have a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) moving stuff from the trailer to the tow vehicle doesn't gain you anything against that particular specification. It's a pesky specification so most people ignore it.

I've noticed that people only come to the forum with tow vehicle questions to ask for someone to justify their marginal tow vehicle. As if really really really really wanting to do something gets them a pass from the laws of physics. Spoiler Alert! It doesn't. But, there's always somebody with no equity in the original poster's situation willing to give them the okay.

Here's what I think...You're going to do it whatever we say but are you willing to risk your loved ones (spouse/significant other, children) too? Anyhow, if you are, I'm not confident we'll be hearing from you if it turns out you were wrong. Put another way; How many people who have had a bad towing experience with mismatched tow/trailers are here to report it?

I'm sure you have years of towing experience already, you'll never tow in the dark of night when tired, or in wet weather, or with worn tires and/or brakes, or be surprised when a deer darts out in front of you, etc. All are reasonable and foreseeable factors that influence tow-ability.

In the meantime, if we meet on the road I'm trying to figure out if I want you ahead of me or behind me.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I live in the mountains myself (yes, western NC has mountains!), and I find that mountains really tax marginal tow situations. What might work in a flat, low elevation area does not work here.

IMHO, tow ratings do not take into account terrain at all. Do yourself a favor and get a tow vehicle with a healthy margin of safety. This means either a different tow vehicle or a different trailer like a teardrop.
actually, the NEW tow rating standard, in effect as of a year or two ago, requires accelerating to freeway speeds up a 8% grade or something. there's a hill near pikes peak or something they use for testing, its really quite brutal. this is a major reason a lot of tow capacities have dropped on hte latest year vehicles.

edit: ah, J2807, and here's an article about it. http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tow...-the-standard/

edit again: and reading that article, there's minor factual errors in my first paragraph, heh. 12% grade at 40MPH with 5 consequitive start/stops uphill without overheating, things like that. pretty brutal, really.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Not a bad summary of the new trailer test standard for those interested in some detail...
SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
actually, the NEW tow rating standard, in effect as of a year or two ago, requires accelerating to freeway speeds up a 8% grade or something. there's a hill near pikes peak or something they use for testing, its really quite brutal. this is a major reason a lot of tow capacities have dropped on hte latest year vehicles.

edit: ah, J2807, and here's an article about it. SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard
Good to hear they are more realistic!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote