Towing with a Dodge Dakota - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15 ft
I recently inquired about options for towing a 15' Escape (not yet hatched) I went about this in reverse, having decided on the trailer first then finding a tow vehicle. I am lucky to have a friend who knows a lot about trucks and is retired so he has all sorts of time to research things. He is also the kind of person that takes on a task and does not give up or let go until he has found the perfect solution. He's the husband of a good friend of mine and sometimes he drives her crazy. I thought I'd do both her and I a favor by asking him to find me a truck to tow my trailer with.
He's been looking for about a month. We had some snow and people were not getting around to well. I had my foot in a cast and was not getting around too well.
Last night I got a call (well, several) saying he had found this great deal and I needed to act fast. Long story, short. I bought a year old 2007 Dodge Dakota still under factory warranty for half what it cost 12 months ago as new. It is a 4.7 liter V-8, 302 HP, 329 lbs of torque, 5-speed automatic, towing package with twice the towing capacity I need, and all the bell and whistles. Just took my grandson (5) for a spin and he wants to know when we are going camping! Mine is white so it will go with the 15' Escape very well.
Now I just need the trailer.
Cathy Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good for you. That will make a good tow vehical.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Cathy,

Congratulations. The Dakota has the same engine and transmission we have, I think. Pulls great, mileage so-so. The Dakota is a great looking truck! If there are any warranty issues, deal with them right away. Dealerships are closing. Chrysler also could go under, as well.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote