Towing with a Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0L - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger 4X4 4L Standard Xmission. My manual lists 1424lb as my max trailer wt. What trailers are there similar to the Casita are in that wt range. With so little tow wt available my other question is are there lighter trailers than fiberglass? I am planning an extended trip through the wouth west to find a new home. I'll be traveling alone.
Any member help will be welcomed,
Tom
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #2

Quote:
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger 4X4 4L Standard Xmission. My manual lists 1424lb as my max trailer wt. What trailers are there similar to the Casita are in that wt range. With so little tow wt available my other question is are there lighter trailers than fiberglass? I am planning an extended trip through the wouth west to find a new home. I'll be traveling alone.
Any member help will be welcomed,
Tom
Tom, I just researched this myself and you should be able to tow much more than that with your Ranger 4 litre/manual.

This site will give you accurate info.' on your truck's spec's and towing capacity (I read 3,400 lbs.~).

Hope this helps. Go here http://www.fordf150.net/specs/02ranger.php Regards, Greg
Greg Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Tom, I just researched this myself and you should be able to tow much more than that with your Ranger 4 litre/manual.

This site will give you accurate info.' on your truck's spec's and towing capacity (I read 3,400 lbs.~).

Hope this helps. Go here http://www.fordf150.net/specs/02ranger.php Regards, Greg
Greg,
Way cool. I can breath much easier. My manual is not very optimistic is it? I can probably tow my "dream RV" . What does a good used 16' Casita go for? Is there a good substitute for that one?
Tom
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Tom,
Double check your manual and your door plate for specs. The link provided only suggests you can tow with the manual transmission and the 3.73 / 4.10 rear end. I'd trust the manual printed by Ford over a web site for accuracy.

Note that the 3400 Lbs. Greg mentions on the link provided only applies to the 4x2 Supercab with a 3.55 rear end. You mentioned that you have a 4x4.

Owning a Ranger myself I'll tell you from experience that electric brakes are beneficial. It took me a dozen or so times flipping through the manual to find the correct towing capacity of my truck. There is also mention of a maximum frontal area of the trailer in my manual, but that's for a different model year.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
I have a 99' Ranger 4X4 4.0L with a 106,000 mi that I'm using to pull my 13' Casita.. which is 1100# and with it loaded with gear and the bed of the truck 1/2 loaded with firewood I was still able to pull up steep hills in 4th gear with cruise on and the RPMs never dropped enough to even change gears... it towed all that without even blinking... I am having trailer brakes added when I have a new axle installed next week but that is more for resale value and a safety precaution... I would say 3400# sounds about right... because at 1500# my lil powerhouse didnt even know I had a load...always use 4th gear and below to tow..
As a matter of fact I plan on adding a lite hitch to the back of the casita so I can pull my jonboat behind it...its about abother 400# max maybe a 30# tongue weight....I figure I can pull 2000# fairly easy..without straining the truck..
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote