Towing with a Grand Caravan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Towing with a Grand Caravan

I bought a new minivan this winter, a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. I didn't buy the tow package but I had the dealership install a mopar trailer hitch. This spring I ran all the wires for the harness and I actually think I am ready to hit the road with my Boler 13'.
Is anyone else out there towing with a 2011-2016 Grand Caravan? I would be thankful to know if you have the factory tow package or not and if you have added any aftermarket accessories.

Here's the backstory:
I have owned 2 dodge Caravans prior to this vehicle and I think they have been great for the price. However, last summer while towing my boler with my 2007 caravan I managed to blow my torque converter. I had high mileage 295,000km but I was still surprised. I did not install an accessory tranny cooler because I ran out of time and the Boler was below the tow rating.
I went into my dealership this week to ask about a tranny cooler and was told they had never added a cooler to a Grand Caravan. I know the new van has a separate portion of the rad for the tranny cooler and the parts rep said that was enough. Is he right?
I can buy a transmission cooler off of Amazon for less than $100 but is it worthwhile or am I being overcautious?
any thoughts appreciated.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Check on manufacturer's web site what the tow package includes. If it includes auxiliary transmission cooler, then install it too.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I was told something similar thing by a Toyota dealer, and two weeks later overheated the tranny on our Sienna climbing a long grade against a stiff headwind. Thankfully, electronic nannies detected the problem and sent the whole drivetrain into limp mode before catastrophic damage was done. I don't fault the dealer, really, as the weight of our 13' Scamp was under the 2000# rating of our no-tow-package Sienna. They were just going by the book. However the combination of triple-digit temperatures, a 10-mile 7% grade, and 30 mph headwinds overwhelmed the internal cooling capacity of the transmission.

You can get a second opinion from another dealer or a trusted independent mechanic, but my gut reaction is just do it!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Grand caravan

I've had 2 Dodge caravans. A 2005 and presently a 2012. Neither had transmission coolers or a towing package. I had the hitches and wiring installed from a local trailer guy. Never had a problem over heating in the mountains or wherever. Great tow vehicles. Remember to always tow in 5th gear (2012). This keeps the tranny from continuous down shifting on even slight inclines. The gas mileage goes down a little in 5th ( 1 or 2 mpg) but it's much easier on the vehicle.

Swenny
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by swenny View Post
I've had 2 Dodge caravans. A 2005 and presently a 2012. Neither had transmission coolers or a towing package. I had the hitches and wiring installed from a local trailer guy. Never had a problem over heating in the mountains or wherever. Great tow vehicles. Remember to always tow in 5th gear (2012). This keeps the tranny from continuous down shifting on even slight inclines. The gas mileage goes down a little in 5th ( 1 or 2 mpg) but it's much easier on the vehicle.

Swenny
Thanks Swenny, I appreciate the first hand experience too. I drove my 07 caravan in 3rd most of last summer and so I am looking forward to being able to drive in 5th this summer. Pretty sure that will be better gas mileage.
I'm heading east his summer so I won't have the same grades as my trip through the Rockies (Rogers Pass was a good haul!). This van seems a a bit more robust than the last, at least the new v6 is beefier.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Check on manufacturer's web site what the tow package includes. If it includes auxiliary transmission cooler, then install it too.
I know it doesn't really come across like I researched it ahead of time but I did, honestly. The trailer tow package only includes a class II hitch (got that aftermarket), trailer tow wiring (did that myself last month) and load levelling suspension (I considered stiffening up the suspension IF it needs it- so to be determined).
I'll be upfront with everyone, I have always bought a Caravan because it is cheap (bought the last 2 for $20,000 each whereas my friend has had 2 Toyota Sienna's at about $40,000 a piece). I drive them until their worn out.
They don't make the caravan anymore and the Grand Caravan is more money. I couldn't justify having to opt for the SXT Plus trim level - at the time an almost $5,000 upgrade just to be able to purchase the tow package.
So if I spend another $100 or even $200 on an after market transmission cooler I'm okay with that. I would like to know A) if anyone else has put one on a Grand Caravan or B ) if anyone else tows with a Grand Caravan without a Tranny Cooler.
so far the results are
A ) no response
B ) One vote yes!
I'll keep reading.
Jay
Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
A transmission cooler would be the first thing I'd add. I've had 3 Chrysler mini vans and had transmission problems with all of them when I only did rare towing of a utility trailer.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Grand Caravan

I did beef up the suspension a little by installing overload shocks and now it handles the additional weight just fine with barely a dip in the rear end.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
There have been more tranny problems with the Grand Caravan probably due to it's higher weight.
I would add the cooler myself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #10

Name: Danny
Trailer: Boler
New Brunswick
I had a 1999 Grand Caravan, replaced the trans at around 100k. I now have a 2010 Grand Caravan, added the trans cooler, I felt it was cheap insurance! I tow a 1986 Boler 1300 or 16 foot bass boat.
Danny
Danny and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the responses. I was already pretty convinced it was the right way to go (installing an accessory cooler) but when the service department told me it was unnecessary it just gave me pause. According to my wife I have been wrong before, so I just thought I'd check.
Jay
Old 05-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
[QUOTE=redbarron55;588235]There have been more tranny problems with the Grand Caravan probably due to it's higher weight.
I would add the cooler myself.

I agree for the cost its better to have than to have not. While I never owned a Caravan I did have 2005 Serbring GTC Convertible Which I did install a cooler and custom 3500 lb hitch I frequently towed trailers from 1500 to 2500 lbs from Los Angeles to Astoria OR, with no ill effects and not one problem I never had a break down. Just keep on-top of Maintenance and your foot off the floor on grades, its about enjoying the drive not how fast you can get there.
(Yes I know the Serbring was supposedly rated at 1000 lbs, the car never knew the trailer was even back there except on the steepest grades)
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Once transmission fluid reaches a certain point it fails causing the tranny to fail also. Here's a chart with failure rates at different temperatures.
Transmission temperature/failure chart.
For the record all cars with automatic transmissions come with a transmission fluid cooler, mostly integrated with the radiator. One of the information readings on my Silverado's console is transmission fluid temperature so temperature is very important.
Another thing is bugs in the radiator will cause overheating and those you see are only a fraction of them.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
For the record all cars with automatic transmissions come with a transmission fluid cooler, mostly integrated with the radiator. One of the information readings on my Silverado's console is transmission fluid temperature so temperature is very important....
Yea I have been following this discussion and noticed that there sometimes seems to be an assumption that if the tug does not have a secondary, external, (factory OR after-market) added tyranny cooler, then you should add one for towing. Not necessarily true. The original OEM tranny cooler might be plenty if it was designed for towing at whatever specs the manufacture gives you (as it has been in my Sienna).

And the best way to know, and also the cheapest way to protect your transmission, is to monitor the temperature. If you are lucky, you can use the Torque App with a cheap BlueTooth OBD2 adapter to accomplish this for well under $50.

But even if you have to get a professional to install a transmission temperature gauge, its the best thing to do first and before adding a secondary cooler that might not be needed and might even cause more problems. (Toyota told me that a added cooler on the Sienna would actually over cool the fluid and cause it to not work properly. I have no idea if that is fact or fiction however)

The only down side is if you find yourself in extreme conditions (hot day, steep grade, heavy load, etc.) and the temp goes up too high (for too long), you have to stop and let it cool down and maybe add a cooler when you can. Please don't wait until the vehicle computer tells you the tranny temps are too high.. by then damage may have been done and you should at least change the fluid ASAP.

One benefit I found with the temp gauge is clear evidence that towing in 4th instead of overdrive did in fact keep my tranny temps consistently at least 10-20 degrees cooler, even on flat and level highways.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
(Toyota told me that a added cooler on the Sienna would actually over cool the fluid and cause it to not work properly.
BS IMO.

My Highlander has the exact same drivetrain as the Sienna, has the OEM aux tranny cooler (comes standard on ALL Canadian AWD Highlanders et Siennas) and I never noticed any cold-related issues with the transmission.
If cold was to cause issues, you'd have transmission failures by the thousands in Canada and northern USA every winter.

I would NOT tow without an aux cooler. The fluid line that runs in the radiator of all cars with automatic transmission can hardly be called a "cooler". This line is "cooled" by engine coolant, which is typically around 175degF...
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
BS IMO.
I don't know enough to say but I would not be surprised. It would not be the first time that people at Toyota, who should know better, provided me with ample fertilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post

I would NOT tow without an aux cooler. The fluid line that runs in the radiator of all cars with automatic transmission can hardly be called a "cooler". This line is "cooled" by engine coolant, which is typically around 175degF...
Well, I monitor the tranny temp both towing and not towing, without an aux cooler, and there is practically no difference unless towing in overdrive (which Toyota says not to do anyway). As long as my tranny temp is about the same, why would I need or want an aux cooler? No reason at all.

However if conditions change and warrant it, I would add one. At least with the temp gauge, I'm not just guessing.

Not to mention that Toyota also said that adding the cooler would void my warranty. More BS perhaps but I don't think so, esp. if the aux cooler fails to preform right.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Well Gordon, I have to give the guys at the Chrysler dealership credit. While they told me there was no need for an accessory cooler they assured me that if I added an accessory cooler it would not affect my warranty at all, so I was welcome to do it.
I can't really see a downside to installing a high quality accessory cooler that is separate from the engine rad. I'll be stopping in at a couple of local places this week to look into getting one to install. First stop will be my usual garage. The owner has the same model of van and he tows a trailer too, I'll see what he says on the matter.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I think the best are the "stacked plate" models like this Derale.

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-13502-P.../dp/B000CIY6TQ
Old 05-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
Well Gordon, I have to give the guys at the Chrysler dealership credit. While they told me there was no need for an accessory cooler they assured me that if I added an accessory cooler it would not affect my warranty at all, so I was welcome to do it.
I can't really see a downside to installing a high quality accessory cooler that is separate from the engine rad. I'll be stopping in at a couple of local places this week to look into getting one to install. First stop will be my usual garage. The owner has the same model of van and he tows a trailer too, I'll see what he says on the matter.
I hope you have it in writing.. I lost count of the number of times I have received inaccurate verbal information from auto dealers, auto dealer parts managers, and even Toyota tech support.

Many people look at the aux cooler as insurance, and it could very well could be good insurance depending on many variables. If your tug is new and has a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty (that includes the transmission) and the car maker says it has plenty of cooling as in for towing your trailer, then thats one case where I for one would not worry about it (unless my gauge tells me the temps go up too much).

But if in doubt then, yes, the least risk is from adding the cooler. If it were me, I would still make sure I had a good temp gauge just for the peace of mind and in case there was a problem with the cooling that otherwise might not be detected until too late to avoid damage.

One thing that has not been mentioned is changing the fluid more often. As we know, running the tranny at very high temps for short periods will wear it out fast, and running at higher (but not extreme) temps will wear it out slower, but it all adds up over the miles. When I was towing a pop-up with a Highlander that did NOT have the tow package with aux tranny cooler, I did see a couple of times where the temps got up too 210-215 for short times (hot days in stop-n-go traffic). Although the temps were good almost all the time (max 175-185), I was concerned about the occasional rise and so I replaced the fluid and avoided any damage. This is another reason why I like have the tranny temp gauge, so if I do occasionally run at higher than recommended temp for a short time I will know, and can elect to change the fluid.

BTW, if I were still towing with that Highlander it would have an auxiliary transmission cooler.