Towing with a Jeep Liberty - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 69
Towing with a Jeep Liberty

Get ready to hook up my 2008 casita spirit deluxe to my 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel. It's equiped with the factory hitch and wiring 7 pin, Any comments or helpfull advice

Electronic brake controller? I've used the prodigy on my sprinter and seems just fine
Thanks Brent
__________________

__________________
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Dennis mn's Avatar
 
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Get ready to hook up my 2008 casita spirit deluxe to my 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel. It's equiped with the factory hitch and wiring 7 pin, Any comments or helpfull advice

Electronic brake controller? I've used the prodigy on my sprinter and seems just fine
Thanks Brent
Have fun, and a safe trip. I have no idea of the towing capacity of a Liberty diesel, but, Diesel engines develop their torque at low rpm's and generally make fantastic tow vehicles!
__________________

__________________
1999 Scamp Fifth Wheel, pulled by a 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro4-X
Dennis mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Posts: 1,418
Our gasoline 2006 jeep liberty has a 5000 lb tow capacity.
__________________
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Posts: 319
Registry
Our 2005 Liberty CRD has a 5000 lb tow capacity, too. We installed a Tekonsha Prodigy rf brake controller on our 16' Scamp and it works well.
__________________
Join me camping!
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
Member
 
Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 69
Equalizing hitch,

I hope I won't need a load equalizing hitch with my Liberty diesel, anyone have experience with this set up
__________________
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:53 AM   #6
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Posts: 2,006
Good day Brent. You can get by having a headache but taking an Asprin makes life better. Generally speaking the same applies to using a WDH.

Not a Casita but this Jeep towing a similar lightweight 16' towed much better with a WDH.

The result is a level rig, better ride and added safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep bambi.jpg  
__________________
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 69
I was hoping to keep it simple, I towed my 25 airstream with a small Mercedes ML suv and found it handled better without the load leveling set up, I guess I'll have to see how the liberty matches up, thanks Brent
__________________
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Posts: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
I was hoping to keep it simple, I towed my 25 airstream with a small Mercedes ML suv and found it handled better without the load leveling set up, I guess I'll have to see how the liberty matches up, thanks Brent
Nothing wrong with keeping it simple Brent. In all my years of towing and being on RV forums you are the 1st to comment that the combo handled better on the ball VS with a WDH. We know the ML's are great TV's. Wondering if the WDH was set up correctly on ML/Airstream???? Guess we will never know.
__________________
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
Member
 
Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 69
What's the tongue weight and total trailer weight of your set up? Is your liberty a diesel? If so how do you like it? Brent
__________________
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
Member
 
Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 69
I think the ML worked so well it had a very short axle to ball distance, very little drop when the trailer was hooked up, I have a load leveling set up if I need it, thanks Brent
__________________
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Posts: 71
Mercedes ML TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Nothing wrong with keeping it simple Brent. In all my years of towing and being on RV forums you are the 1st to comment that the combo handled better on the ball VS with a WDH. We know the ML's are great TV's. Wondering if the WDH was set up correctly on ML/Airstream???? Guess we will never know.
Folks I don't mean to hijack this thread. Your comments about the ML's towing ability are the first that I have heard and I will be towing with one. I just wondered if you had any thoughts / suggestions for me? Any would be appreciated. I haven't gotten my camper yet but I'm trying to learn. Thanks, Michael
__________________
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:45 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
Folks I don't mean to hijack this thread. Your comments about the ML's towing ability are the first that I have heard and I will be towing with one. I just wondered if you had any thoughts / suggestions for me? Any would be appreciated. I haven't gotten my camper yet but I'm trying to learn. Thanks, Michael
You are about to be mired deeper than you ever imagined.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:45 AM   #13
Member
 
Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 69
I towed a 25' airstream with a 1998 ML 320 (v6) it did a great job! I started out with a load leveling hitch but found it porpoised over freeway humps and rode and controlled better without the load leveler hooked up.
__________________
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:47 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You are about to be mired deeper than you ever imagined.
Probably 20 by noon tomorrow
__________________

__________________
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep Liberty a good towing vehicle for a light trailer richard Trafton Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 7 06-14-2013 08:20 PM
What kind of hitch for Jeep Liberty Patty S. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 9 03-29-2009 04:46 PM
Durango/Jeep Liberty Recall Donna D. General Chat 5 03-16-2007 08:25 PM
Jeep Liberty as Tow V? Fred G. General Chat 5 03-01-2007 06:06 PM
Jeep Liberty tow package Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 07-17-2003 12:58 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.