Towing with a Jeep Liberty - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Towing with a Jeep Liberty

Get ready to hook up my 2008 casita spirit deluxe to my 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel. It's equiped with the factory hitch and wiring 7 pin, Any comments or helpfull advice

Electronic brake controller? I've used the prodigy on my sprinter and seems just fine
Thanks Brent
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Get ready to hook up my 2008 casita spirit deluxe to my 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel. It's equiped with the factory hitch and wiring 7 pin, Any comments or helpfull advice

Electronic brake controller? I've used the prodigy on my sprinter and seems just fine
Thanks Brent
Have fun, and a safe trip. I have no idea of the towing capacity of a Liberty diesel, but, Diesel engines develop their torque at low rpm's and generally make fantastic tow vehicles!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Our gasoline 2006 jeep liberty has a 5000 lb tow capacity.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Our 2005 Liberty CRD has a 5000 lb tow capacity, too. We installed a Tekonsha Prodigy rf brake controller on our 16' Scamp and it works well.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #5

California
Equalizing hitch,

I hope I won't need a load equalizing hitch with my Liberty diesel, anyone have experience with this set up
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 AM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Brent. You can get by having a headache but taking an Asprin makes life better. Generally speaking the same applies to using a WDH.

Not a Casita but this Jeep towing a similar lightweight 16' towed much better with a WDH.

The result is a level rig, better ride and added safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep bambi.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

California
I was hoping to keep it simple, I towed my 25 airstream with a small Mercedes ML suv and found it handled better without the load leveling set up, I guess I'll have to see how the liberty matches up, thanks Brent
Old 06-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
I was hoping to keep it simple, I towed my 25 airstream with a small Mercedes ML suv and found it handled better without the load leveling set up, I guess I'll have to see how the liberty matches up, thanks Brent
Nothing wrong with keeping it simple Brent. In all my years of towing and being on RV forums you are the 1st to comment that the combo handled better on the ball VS with a WDH. We know the ML's are great TV's. Wondering if the WDH was set up correctly on ML/Airstream???? Guess we will never know.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

California
What's the tongue weight and total trailer weight of your set up? Is your liberty a diesel? If so how do you like it? Brent
Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #10

California
I think the ML worked so well it had a very short axle to ball distance, very little drop when the trailer was hooked up, I have a load leveling set up if I need it, thanks Brent
Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Mercedes ML TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Nothing wrong with keeping it simple Brent. In all my years of towing and being on RV forums you are the 1st to comment that the combo handled better on the ball VS with a WDH. We know the ML's are great TV's. Wondering if the WDH was set up correctly on ML/Airstream???? Guess we will never know.
Folks I don't mean to hijack this thread. Your comments about the ML's towing ability are the first that I have heard and I will be towing with one. I just wondered if you had any thoughts / suggestions for me? Any would be appreciated. I haven't gotten my camper yet but I'm trying to learn. Thanks, Michael
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
Folks I don't mean to hijack this thread. Your comments about the ML's towing ability are the first that I have heard and I will be towing with one. I just wondered if you had any thoughts / suggestions for me? Any would be appreciated. I haven't gotten my camper yet but I'm trying to learn. Thanks, Michael
You are about to be mired deeper than you ever imagined.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #13

California
I towed a 25' airstream with a 1998 ML 320 (v6) it did a great job! I started out with a load leveling hitch but found it porpoised over freeway humps and rode and controlled better without the load leveler hooked up.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:47 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You are about to be mired deeper than you ever imagined.
Probably 20 by noon tomorrow
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #15
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
Good day Michael.. Towing performance of the high end import SUV's is amazing and worth a discussion. Suggest starting a new thread on the subject and we can get into it.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I towed with my Jeep CRD well over 5,000 miles several types of trailers, finally blew a turbo hose on my last trip and had to stop in a truck shop for temporary repair. Then diesel fuel started to skyrocket so I traded it on a gas liberty.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jim,

Are you saying the difference in fuel cost was not justified by the difference in mpg?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, when I purchased the diesel it was less expensive than regular gas, now it costs more than premium and the 30-40% upcharge for fuel evened the playing field with gas.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #19

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I thought a lot about this and when the fuel cost os 25 - 30 % higher for Diesel then the fuel cost alone does not work out. The thinking on my part was the additional torque available at low rpm. I figured that if I went with one of the higher powered Turob gas engined tow vehicles then I would have to use premium fuel with less difference in cost and STILL not have the low end torque.
The VW Sportwagen TDI I have been using has the pulling power (torque) even thoug the horsepower rating is only 140. The torque is 240 from idle to redline (pretty much).
As with everything it is the owners choice and in my case I chose to add a "new" 20013 VW Sportwagen with 25,000 miles to the fleet to replace (Add to ) the 2009 I already had. I did the math and the thinking and chose to do it again.
Before everyone starts on the towing with the Sportwagen most of the small SUV (CUV) s are really only taller compact wagons etc. that have been made taller to be "crossovers". The VW Tigual is a fat Golf Wagen that is taller, heavier, has a thirsty gas engine and slush pump automatic.
Nothing tows like a Diesel!

Norm - If you ever pass through Mobile you are welcome to try my TV for size.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The Jeep Liberty Diesel was a nice package until they started tearing up the automatic transmissions. Then Jeep sent out a service bulletin that reprogrammed the computer to take power out of the motor. While it help saved the transmission the de-tune took out a good chunk of power and drastically dropped the mileage. Then Jeep dropped the diesel Liberty. Its a shame it was a very nice package. My Lesley loves her gas powered Liberty. Well most everything, the mileage sucks for a 2006. 15 MPG in town, 20 highway. Slightly worse than my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder which is 1.5 times the truck with a slightly smaller motor.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote