Towing with a older convertible car? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Towing with a older convertible car?

I want to buy an older convertible car, something between 1964 to 1970. I own a Trillium 4500.

For example I found a 1970 Chevy Impala it has a 350 with a 400 turbo transmission. Should be no problem pullling my Trillium.

I can't find any towing specs for the Impala. Also I can only find a class II hitch made by Uhaul with a 1 1/4" receiver. I'd prefer a 2" receiver with a minimum class III...

Has anyone had a custom hitch made before? Can anyone suggest someone in BC, I'm in Whistler?

What are your thoughts? Any concerns or red flags?
Arthur Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have made my own custom hitches, but have found it's much easier to buy one ready made that will bolt right on. I did take one hitch that had the 1 1/4 receiver, cut that off, and welded on a 2" receiver. I only used it with a bike rack or a trailer that weighed less than 800 lb.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
1963 and 1964 Impala's NOT recommended for towing because they have a X frame.
I wish you could, then I would tow with my classic car.
Click image for larger version

Name:	59567724.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	56610
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Like Bob said, you could have a welding shop put on a 2" receiver on the UHaul hitch. They might even make you up a hitch for less than buying the UHaul and having it modified.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
I found this place by my Mom's house.

E&H Hitch Shop Burnaby BC
E&H Hitch Shop | Burnaby | Home

I called them and they said they could custom make one for the Impala. He said it would cost around $350 - $400. Is that reasonable?

Also if Uhaul has a Class II hitch, would that mean it would be safe to say that the Impala could handle my Trillium?
Arthur Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Arthur...

Luv those old cars. Yes they will work as a TV. Like the others here have said a custom hitch is doable and would work fine. I have one on my 2003 G35.
Attached Thumbnails
75_tradewind_with_62_impala-med.jpg   chev impala 1964 1.jpg  

Attached Images

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Santiago View Post
I want to buy an older convertible car, something between 1964 to 1970. I own a Trillium 4500.

For example I found a 1970 Chevy Impala it has a 350 with a 400 turbo transmission. Should be no problem pullling my Trillium.

I can't find any towing specs for the Impala. Also I can only find a class II hitch made by Uhaul with a 1 1/4" receiver. I'd prefer a 2" receiver with a minimum class III...

Has anyone had a custom hitch made before? Can anyone suggest someone in BC, I'm in Whistler?

What are your thoughts? Any concerns or red flags?
I doubt that any 1970 convertible will prove equipped to tow more than 2,000 pounds, so see no gains in going to a "bigger" receiver. I tow a 4500 on a class II hitch without problems. It's the hitch designed for my car.

Per towing "specs" for '70's cars:

I have nothing to offer per 1970 and earlier, but this may be of some interest for slightly "newer" models:
On page 156 of the 1974 Popular Mechanics issue at this link there's a fascinating rundown of the towing ability of the "new in 1974" crop of cars.

Fun walk down memory lane if nothing else, and a few surprises- for example, who knew that the 1974 Gremlin could tow 2,000 pounds, while the 1974 Mustang II is limited to a wimpy 800?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Also if UHaul has a Class II hitch, would that mean it would be safe to say that the Impala could handle my Trillium?
There are regular posters on here that wouldn't think it safe to tow it with an F350 dually diesel. Use your own common sense.

1970 Chevrolet Impala

A couple of years ago we used a Caprice to tow a 25-foot trailer on a vacation outing and were amazed that time to find out that the car, with no heavy-duty extras, was a better trailer-towing car than on any of the specially-prepared other makes we had tried.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
MC1

Ontario
Ragtops......
Attached Thumbnails
ford convert.jpg   mustang andy trailer.JPG  

Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
From what I have seen the No. 1 accessory needed for driving a convertible is grey hair.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I know some folks that towed a Casita with a convertible Corvette. Bonnie said it was only really scary when she looked behind her and saw that big ole white box RIGHT THERE.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvette-Casita.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	56617

And yeah, I've met them and yes they towed with a Corvette (safely)... this is just an example of their business card...

Their tug and tow was quite the hit at an Oregon Gathering.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
MC1

Ontario
That's a beauty Carol.
Here is another.
Bet they would be a blast to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
corvette trailer 1 - Copy.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While towing with an older convert sounds very, very cool, the same issues should be addressed as when buying an older trailer, condition, condition and condition. 60's & 70's cars, for the most part, weren't built anything like newer cars with modern concerns for handling and safety. That old chevy will drive like the QE-II and stop almost as fast. Add to that the fact that everything in it may be well over the then expected maximum age of 100,000 miles and you get to be concerned with everything from u-joints, to axle bearings, to transmission condition to ball joints to the very age and condition of the brake lines. In short, most older cars may no longer suited for those long trips we used to take without a carefree thought, especially the U.S. built ones.

About 3 years ago I was allowed to drive a 1956 Pontiac, almost identical to the one I learned to drive in. It was scary to say the least. Although "restored", and with an asking price north of $40k, it was horrible to drive, almost as bad as my 1954 Corvette, that would go any direction but straight and hitting the brakes only resulted in a suggestion to slow down by todays standards.

But there were a lot of Airstreams towed by those cars in the 60's, & 70's not to mention the 1953/54 Mercury convert used by Lucille Ball & Desi Arnez in "The Long, long Trailer" movie.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I saw one of these pulling a fairly large boat between Las Vegas and Searchlight, NV just last Friday. Top was down, driver about 70, passenger MUST have been his grand-daughter (right!) Now that was cool. (The TV, not the couple)
Chevrolet SSR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well, I know some folks that towed a Casita with a convertible Corvette...

And yeah, I've met them and yes they towed with a Corvette (safely)... this is just an example of their business card...

Their tug and tow was quite the hit at an Oregon Gathering.
Fascinating. Does that mean that you are only allowed to massively exceed your rated towing capacity if you either
  1. have your rig set up by the magicians of Can Am RV, or
  2. use a really cool car like a Corvette?
I can't imagine why this 'Vette rig would not receive the same heaps of warning and contempt as some members have received for their more reasonable over-the-rating rigs. No such criticism from me - I assume these people accept their responsibility to make this highly non-recommended configuration work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
.. see no gains in going to a "bigger" receiver. I tow a 4500 on a class II hitch without problems. It's the hitch designed for my car.
I agree.

Quote:
I called them and they said they could custom make one for the Impala. He said it would cost around $350 - $400. Is that reasonable?
For a custom version of something that would cost about half that mass-produced? Yes, that seems reasonable to me. Now, how much do you trust the design and fabrication skills of the guy who is going to build this?

Quote:
Also if Uhaul has a Class II hitch, would that mean it would be safe to say that the Impala could handle my Trillium?
No, the existence of a hitch of any given rating says absolutely nothing about the suitability of the vehicle for a trailer of that weight. The Impala may be capable of much less, or much more, than the hitch rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Interesting!
Keep in mind that the "300 hp" quoted in that article is a fantasy by Chevrolet. Years later they switched to a more honest SAE-defined net power rating system, and by that standard the number would be much lower... probably less than 200 horsepower.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #17

Quote:
... I found a 1970 Chevy Impala it has a 350 with a 400 turbo transmission.
My parents had a 1971 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate (the wagon version of the Impala). I learned to drive in it and (mostly) in a 1973 Gremlin. The Chevy had disintegrated by 1979 at about 100,000 miles (mostly by rusting, by also with transmission failure and other mechanical issues), with regular maintenance and no severe use; it went from us to a wrecker. I hope this convertible has lasted better, and drives better!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
I found this place by my Mom's house.

E&H Hitch Shop Burnaby BC
E&H Hitch Shop | Burnaby | Home

If it is well built well and they install it right I would say that is fair and reasonable. I would assume they are talking class III or higher. I would not put a class ll on a full size car. That is just wrong
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
If it is well built well and they install it right I would say that is fair and reasonable. I would assume they are talking class III or higher. I would not put a class ll on a full size car.
I agree... but it won't have any class, assuming that the shop does not test the design according to the procedures of SAE standard J684. It will just be a receiver with a 2" box which the fabricator claims is suitable for some particular weight of trailer.

If going the custom route, it seems reasonable to me to fabricate something which might pass the tests for a Class 3 (5000 lb trailer) capacity, for this size of car, since there is a good chance that someone will load it that heavily at some point in the future.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Dont let the na sayers burn your dreams!!
You wont even feel that trill behind you!
Make sure the car is healthy brakes are good and enjoy.
My car is way smaller than an Impala, doesnt have a frame and
Drum brakes. We have pulled to and through the mountains many times
have had ZERO issues with handling and or stopping,, Oh its always had WAY too much power for the job
I bought a hitch at a garage sale and modified it to fit my car.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000980.jpg   IMG_00000979.jpg  

FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote