Towing with a pick up truck.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
\

I subscribe to..... One it's a safety item.

Real rig/sway problems should be dealt with in a responsible manner.
I also subscribe to safety. Safety is probably the most import thing.

However, this is exactly where the debate is. Is it a safety item or a masking an unsafe condition item?

Old 09-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Boy, this thread sure took on a life of its own. I'll just say this. Everyone is different and every circumstance is different. I'd say the vast majority of travel trailers do not have any anti-sway device and do not need one. I've towed thousands of miles through some of the harshest conditions you can imagine and I just don't see a need for an added piece of hardware that may or may not provide any benefit at some point but may turn into a on-the-road repair item or a heavy maintenance item.

Norm, on that note, I don't think an anti sway device is a severe wear item under most normal circumstances. But in my case, it would get hammered. I replace my tongue jack, safety chains, and ball locking pin every other trip. My tongue and frame gets gravel blasted down to the bare metal on every single trip, requiring it to be refinished twice a year. I'm constantly cleaning and lubricating the ball and socket. Anything in that area of the trailer, plus the axle and front edges of the back bumper get completely hammered and stripped down to bare metal after only one trip.

This year I'm going to try POR-15 on the frame, coupler, bumper, etc. to see if I can go at least a whole year without refinishing everything. But yeah, I'm pretty sure an anti-sway device, given its vulnerable location on the A-frame, would just be one more thing I'd have to replace every year.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Boy, this thread sure took on a life of its own. I'll just say this. Everyone is different and every circumstance is different. I'd say the vast majority of travel trailers do not have any anti-sway device and do not need one. I've towed thousands of miles through some of the harshest conditions you can imagine and I just don't see a need for an added piece of hardware that may or may not provide any benefit at some point but may turn into a on-the-road repair item or a heavy maintenance item.
I have happily towed for years over thousands of miles without an anti sway bar as well and never until recently wanted one. I do take the time to make sure the trailer I am towing is loaded and connected correctly in order to achieve that solid tow feeling I want at speeds and in driving conditions that I normally tow in - which pretty well covers most weather as I tow in winter as well.

I added an anti sway bar to my current set up due to the things you have no control over. There are situations that can happen while towing that you just can't test your set up for ahead of time.

I have had two totally unforeseen situations come up, of the type that leaves you wondering how in the world did I get out of that alive. One was with my old tug - heading down a steep mountain pass the gravel truck ahead dumped his full load - strange but true - resulting in cars swerving every which way on the road ahead of me - some flying off into the ditches on either side, another ended up sideways in front of me. Just hitting the brakes wasn't an option due to the big semi a couple of feet of the back of the trailer trying to stay out of everyones way as well. I did not add an anti sway bar after that incident as I figured it was a one off that would never happen again & besides the trailer didn't sway. The second situation happened early this summer with my current tug - the semi I was in the middle of passing lost a flat bed trailer he had stacked up high on his trailer bed - the result of it having hit the overpass we had just gone under.

Yes having a well stowed trailer and what I did and did not do played a part in why both situations turned out as well as they did but most people would suggest that luck also played a really *big* part in it. I am not willing to bet that I could be equally as lucky if I had to do such avoidance moves a third time and decided that having a little something extra on my set up that will if ever needed be there to possible help avoid the big dreaded wag is better than nothing.

If I rarely traveled at 65mph or on busy freeways I might continue to think I could live without the added insurance of an anti sway bar as well.

If the anti sway bar is installed correctly on a well loaded trailer there should be no binding or restriction of the free movement of the main ball under normal towing conditions. Yes it will bind on tight turns - such as when getting into a tight camping spot - but thats easily remedied by simply releasing the pressure control handle on the anti sway bar.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I also subscribe to safety. Safety is probably the most import thing.

However, this is exactly where the debate is. Is it a safety item or a masking an unsafe condition item?
If someone says my trailer swayed every time I went over 60 mph or a big semi passed me or there was a side wind and they added an anti sway bar and said it now tows great - I would as I suspect you would Byron suggest they are simple masking an unsafe condition.

On the other hand I know we have a number of folks here who have logged a lot of miles towing and would have no concerns about a semi passing them or a side wind with or without the anti sway bar on the trailer who simple have them on their trailers as an additional safety item... nothing more. Like myself they are not counting on them to keep them out of trouble as the folks in the first example are.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Back to my original post, I tested out this product last weekend and it works flawlessly. After hooking up the trailer and removal of the jack, the entire truck bed is accessible via the tailgate for those last minute things. Upon arrival at the cg you merely slip the jack back into the holder, line up three bolts and lower the jack to unhook.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
line up three bolts and lower the jack to unhook.
Jim; could you explain about lining up the bolts please. Not sure what you mean there. Interesting device, thanks for posting about it.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
In the second picture you see 3 bolt heads, you insert the jack and start to raise it while lining up the 3 bolt heads into the 3 indents, this secures the jack within the device. There is a video on the website if needed.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Thanks Jim, I thought that was how it worked but wanted to be sure.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #23

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I've towed everything from an Apache Scout (very small tent trailer) to 5th wheels and travel trailers over 30 feet in length since 1962 (yes, 1962) and have never had any sway with any trailer nor any tow vehicle, all without an anti sway device. That's over 50 years of towing experience in 49 states and several Canadian provinces and territories. I see no need for an anti sway device provided your trailer is properly loaded and hitched. That said, those devices are not very expensive so, if it makes you feel more secure, get one.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I've towed everything from an Apache Scout (very small tent trailer)
Cool... I luv those early 60's Apache Scouts. My dad sold them at his RV dealership back then. Very high quality and they sold for only $400. CDN. He sold one to a guy with a motorcycle.