Towing with a Subaru Forester - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-11-2015, 02:38 AM   #29

Name: Con
Trailer: Looking
Alaska
Hi Al. It's important to know that the 2014 Foresters have a much lower towing capacity then the earlier models. It went from 2400 to 1500.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #30

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If one reads back in the posts there is a story about what pulling overweight can do to a Subaru Forrester, but certainly not in the first few years/miles. It's not a good or safe thing to do.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #31

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1957 Trillium
British Columbia
Towing with a Forester

I believe when Subaru went to a CVT transmission from the 5 speed Automatic towing capacity was reduced.
Not sure what year change was made
Old 09-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #32

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Towing with a Subaru Forester

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1443109830.136467.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	89114
Our 2008 TriBeCa with the playpac about 1200lbs.
I used to tow with a mini van. We have discovered that putting our coolers in the car makes a huge difference in towing. I don't even feel the camper when I tow. I live in the mountains and I keep up with my friends old pickup towing an Apache pop up weighing twice as much. Don't ask how fast I drive on the thruway....Ill get yelled at I'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #33

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
In New York State trailer brakes are required at 1000 lbs and above, I'd be more concerned about that requirement.

And... if you think you are driving to fast on the throughways: a) you are and b) let us know where you will be so we won't be there.... LOL
Old 09-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #34

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
In New York State trailer brakes are required at 1000 lbs and above, I'd be more concerned about that requirement.

And... if you think you are driving to fast on the throughways: a) you are and b) let us know where you will be so we won't be there.... LOL
"New York Trailer Brake Laws
Every trailer and semitrailer weighing more than 1,000 lbs unladen, and every trailer and semitrailer manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, having a registered maximum gross weight or an actual gross weight of more than 3,000 lbs. shall be equipped with adequate brakes in good working order."

I doubt there is any immediate concern.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Aren't the large majority of fiberglass eggs over 1000 pounds unladen, so the first condition applies?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #36

IllAnnoy
Registry
There must be something to Bob's assumption(from post #24)...

2015 Little Guy Trailers MeerKat Trailer Review - Roaming Times
Old 09-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #37

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Aren't the large majority of fiberglass eggs over 1000 pounds unladen, so the first condition applies?
I doubt if your assumption applies to a PlayPac, but I guess just being paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You're very likely right about a Play-Pac, Floyd. But the whole thread is broader than that, so I just wanted to clarify. I'm actually not sure how "unladen" would be interpreted with a camping trailer, versus a cargo trailer: published dry weight or actual empty weight as built (or rebuilt, in the case of many vintage trailers). What do you think?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #39
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
Attachment 89114
Our 2008 TriBeCa with the playpac about 1200lbs.
I used to tow with a mini van. We have discovered that putting our coolers in the car makes a huge difference in towing. I don't even feel the camper when I tow. I live in the mountains and I keep up with my friends old pickup towing an Apache pop up weighing twice as much. Don't ask how fast I drive on the thruway....Ill get yelled at I'm sure Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
We too towed with a Mini Van for many years and then upgraded to a more powerful car for towing. We do the opposite. Load everything in the trailer and keep the car as light as possible. This seems to work the best for us.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #40

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You're very likely right about a Play Pac, Floyd. But the whole thread is broader than that, so I just wanted to clarify. I'm actually not sure how "unladen" would be interpreted with a camping trailer, versus a cargo trailer: published dry weight or actual empty weight as built (or rebuilt, in the case of many vintage trailers). What do you think?
I like brakes on a trailer, but if I lived in New York I would feel comfortable taking the risk and then claiming the "unladen" weight was less than a thousand pounds, assuming unladen meant the removal of anything not permanently attached to the trailer. I really don't think that a PlayPac would be a likely target for enforcement, nor do I think a ticket would be written for a few pounds over.
While I might add brakes if I owned it, it would not be for safety so much as for performance. It must be noted that no other state sees the New York Standard as necessary.
BTW, I do not tow above 65MPH.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm with the get brakes group. With trailer brakes you can stop sway by activating just the trailer brakes. Fortunately it rarely happens but it's the fastest way to stop it if it ever happens.

Of course the real way to stop sway is a properly loaded trailer (and reasonable speeds).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #42

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
I'm with the get brakes group too. They are inexpensive and easy to install. As a much younger person I put on a lot of miles towing rally cars on trailers ~3000 lb behind small tow vehicles much lighter than my Subi Forester and got away with it. Now I prefer the reduced stopping distance the trailer brakes afford. It is safer, no question.