Towing with a Tacoma - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I towed a 2011 Escape 17B (3010 lbs & 340 lbs hitch weight within the rating of the vehicle) with a 2010 RAV4 Sport for 85,000 miles, including a trip to Alaska, the Colorado mountains, etc. While it was up to the towing, and a wonderfully maneuverable combination, the RAV4 got a bit long in the tooth, and I replaced it with a 2016 Tacoma with the 3.5L engine & 6 speed transmission. I pulled the 17B for another 15000 miles & felt it was a more solid tow vehicle, but missed the short distance between the rear wheels & the hitch - in some ways, the RAV4 was more stable than the Tacoma, and far more maneuverable.

While The Tacoma was fine for the 17B, I got a case of 2 foot itis, (actually, 4' itis) and switched to an Escape 21 (4600 lbs & 500 lbs hitch weight). Again, the combination was well within the tow & hitch ratings of the Tacoma, but the payload was lacking. I carry too much "stuff" and was 150 pounds over payload. I also didn't like listening to the engine at 4000 RPM at 60MPH, often in 2 gear, and the towingMPG was lousy - around 10 - 11MPG.

I switched to a 2018 Ford 150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine & 10 speed transmission. Sorry Floyd, but I never had much good to say about Fords, having owned 2 station wagons that both had many problems, but I have to say I love the truck. It is a super cab with the 6.5' bed. Far more room in the back seats than most super cabs (not a 4 door) and much better towing mileage - 13 - 14MPH @ 63MPH. With all my stuff & the trailer tongue, I still have 500 pounds of payload left. The 10 speed transmission has the engine at 1600 RPM at 63MPH, usually in 9 - 10 gear even towing. I did like the smaller size of the Tacoma, but overall I prefer the Ford, and being a Chevy & Toyota person, you have no idea how hard that was to say!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #22

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
Tacoma 4cyl OK, 6 would be better

I have a 2015 Tacoma Base, access cab, 4 cyl with a 5 spd stick, and it is marginal towing my Scamp 16' standard in hills. It should do well with the 13'. With the 4 cyl you must have the stick. If I had it to do over, I would get the V6 two wheel drive. It only comes with an automatic now, but the 6 should handle it. I get 16 mpg average while towing, and up to 25 on flat ground when not. On big hills, I get down to 40 mph in second gear in the truck lane. I am interested in the new (to the US market) Ford Ranger, It has way more HP in a 4 cyl, and has a 10 speed electric automatic transmission. Same tow capacity.
ThomasBalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I did like the smaller size of the Tacoma, but overall I prefer the Ford, and being a Chevy & Toyota person, you have no idea how hard that was to say!
I bet that was hard to admit Jon. My wife's a Chevy/Toyo fan also but would never give a nod to Ford even though 99% of her driving is in my Ranger .
Wish there was a "like" button.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Toyota and Ford, I get. The "Chevy" part of the preceding comments, I totally do not get! I haven't had a Chevy since my '73 Vega. It was impossible to keep the automatic choke working on that Vega, and when it was traded in at 126,000 miles that aluminum engine was burning a quart of oil every 100 miles and fouling a spark plug every 300 miles. My dad spun the GM roulette wheel in '78 (IIRC) with a Chevette, and the darn thing tried to kill him twice! It almost gassed him with CO, and on another occasion a major weld broke on the rear axle while rounding a curve and when it broke it propelled him into the path of an oncoming semi.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Shucks, and to think I just bought another Ford with only a 2.3L I4, to replace a perfectly good 4.0L V6.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I towed a 2011 Escape 17B (3010 lbs & 340 lbs hitch weight within the rating of the vehicle) with a 2010 RAV4 Sport for 85,000 miles, including a trip to Alaska, the Colorado mountains, etc. While it was up to the towing, and a wonderfully maneuverable combination, the RAV4 got a bit long in the tooth, and I replaced it with a 2016 Tacoma with the 3.5L engine & 6 speed transmission. I pulled the 17B for another 15000 miles & felt it was a more solid tow vehicle, but missed the short distance between the rear wheels & the hitch - in some ways, the RAV4 was more stable than the Tacoma, and far more maneuverable.

While The Tacoma was fine for the 17B, I got a case of 2 foot itis, (actually, 4' itis) and switched to an Escape 21 (4600 lbs & 500 lbs hitch weight). Again, the combination was well within the tow & hitch ratings of the Tacoma, but the payload was lacking. I carry too much "stuff" and was 150 pounds over payload. I also didn't like listening to the engine at 4000 RPM at 60MPH, often in 2 gear, and the towingMPG was lousy - around 10 - 11MPG.

I switched to a 2018 Ford 150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine & 10 speed transmission. Sorry Floyd, but I never had much good to say about Fords, having owned 2 station wagons that both had many problems, but I have to say I love the truck. It is a super cab with the 6.5' bed. Far more room in the back seats than most super cabs (not a 4 door) and much better towing mileage - 13 - 14MPH @ 63MPH. With all my stuff & the trailer tongue, I still have 500 pounds of payload left. The 10 speed transmission has the engine at 1600 RPM at 63MPH, usually in 9 - 10 gear even towing. I did like the smaller size of the Tacoma, but overall I prefer the Ford, and being a Chevy & Toyota person, you have no idea how hard that was to say!
No need to apologize... Heck I prolly wasn't lissnen' way back then anyway!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Toyota and Ford, I get. The "Chevy" part of the preceding comments, I totally do not get! I haven't had a Chevy since my '73 Vega. It was impossible to keep the automatic choke working on that Vega, and when it was traded in at 126,000 miles that aluminum engine was burning a quart of oil every 100 miles and fouling a spark plug every 300 miles. My dad spun the GM roulette wheel in '78 (IIRC) with a Chevette, and the darn thing tried to kill him twice! It almost gassed him with CO, and on another occasion a major weld broke on the rear axle while rounding a curve and when it broke it propelled him into the path of an oncoming semi.
I test drove a bunch of 2500/3500 class trucks made in the mid 2000s, the Chevy 2500HD had the nicest ride by far in that class, but i hated the interior controls, they seemed very gadget-happy, nor did I like the 'barcalounger' style seats in the more up-trim versions. I ended up with a 2002 Ford F250 as the interior of the ford had the most logical straight forward controls, even in XLT trim.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #28

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It would be interesting to agree on what to compare in each brand, then do a side by side comparison. My guess is personal preference stuff will still override actual results but I think none of the major brands are far enough apart in quality these days to really make that a problem.

That may not have always been true, but it seems to be now. Some people on here complain about the feel of the Toyota ride and the seats. To me, everything feels light, tight and responsive. And it still feels that way 20 years later. To someone used to a vehicle with more lazy-boy style seats and a Cadillac ride, that Toyota is going to feel weak, uncomfortable, etc. My coworker bought a Nissan SUV because it had the quietest, more contained and comfortable feel of the other choices. But I have different standards and probably would have chosen differently.

I've worked for the Forest Service and other seasonal field-going jobs for a good number of seasons, and I've driven a lot of different trucks. All domestic. I have my favorites, but they really come more from just what fits my personal style than any quality issues. I actually really like Chevy, but they have two problems my limited experience has shown me. One is that they're just "loose". Things inside like the dash and doors rattle apart. They also seem to go through transmissions. But I like how they're low and wide. My current work truck is a 99 Silverado and I like it.

Something about the older, boxy Ford pickup, especially the regular cab, just looks like the classic western ranch truck, and I really like that. They sit higher (or maybe just the seat sits higher in the truck) and that gives it a whole different feel. Having worked on Fords, there are some things that don't make sense to me (you have to cut and splice wires to replace a starter?? I mean come on...), but I do like them. Dodge I have the least experience with but the one I drove a little just seemed real responsive and fast (on dirt).

My favorite FS truck was still a late-90s F350 6-pack long-bed 5 speed. Just cause it was a beast. Fun to drive. Not fun to turn around on logging roads...

All the same...a truck thread where we agree on things to compare (if there is really anything in this world that can be compared objectively anymore...do facts exist?...), then compare them side-by-side would be interesting. I'm guessing 80-some % comes down to personal preference with the current generation of trucks.

But there will always be people who have to get their digs into certain brands whenever they get brought up.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #29

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Particularly if you're looking at used, but in general -
The 4.0 V6 is bulletproof. It also doesn't have to work as hard as the 4. I think you'll find it better for towing and just better overall, for maybe a 1-2 MPG mileage penalty at 50MPH.
To demonstrate the displacement difference, here's a link to a recent test of the new Chevy truck with 4-cylinder turbo vs. V-8. The V-8 got better mileage.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=spartanntp

By the way, if you want a firmer rear suspension on your Tacoma, it's easy to add a leaf to the rear suspension. I did that to my 1999 when I bought it, and it was a great hauler for ~20 years.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #30

Trailer: Westfalia
Here's our experience With a Taco (aka Tacoma):

We first pulled our 2010 13' Scamp with a 2010 4X4 Tacoma Extra Cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed. It pulled the Scamp in all terrains without too much strain. I think shifting a manual transmission is part of a whole driving experience. To each their own.

In 2012 We upgraded to a 2012 4X4 Tacoma Double Cab (6' box) V6 Automatic, with tow package.

The difference between the two was night and day. The V6 was so much smoother and quieter pulling the Scamp. Oh, you hear/read the phrase: it tows like there's nothing back there. There is ALWAYS something back there.

Pulling the Scamp with the Tacoma, we regularly see 16 or 17MPG depending on terrain and wind. Not towing, the Tacoma gets no better than 20-21 MPG.

In early 2012, there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the rear springs and our dealer simply inserted an extra leaf to the spring pack. FYI: a TSB is not the same as a recall. You, the owner, have to know about the TSB get the FREE service.

Good luck with your decision!
Fred G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have a 2016 tacoma offroad v6 automatic. This last weekend I towed my Scamp 13. It weighes 1550 Lbs. I towed from my home to Quartzsite Az. 250 miles each way. I got 18.5 mpg at mostly 60 Mph. Going out. Comming back I got 15 Mpg at 60 mph with a steady head wind. No wind going out. Dead flat no traffic I get 20 mpg towing. Southern California no traffic is rare

This is Toyotas caculation based on average gas used per trip which has been very accurate to what I have checked manually.

On my daily use combined street and city freeway driving not towing I get 19 mpg using mid grade gas. Dead flat long distant driving freeway driving with out traffic issues I can squeeze 22 Mpg but it takes allot of miles to get there.

gas mileage takes a heavy hit in the tacoma as you go over 60 mph.

Pretty happy with the v-6 and automatic since the transmission computer update late last year.

My personal opinon I would not buy the 4 unless it was stick but if i did i wouldn't tow with it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Personally, I wouldn't accept a ride in a Tacoma without bringing a good pair of shoes and a cell phone, but it is a truck and certainly capable of towing a 13FT trailer at the speed limit anywhere in the country.
Towing has a lot more to do with chassis than the number of cylinders and the Tacoma is certainly stronger than a 4CYL Honda...

Such a pretty Honda but such a pain to keep pretty
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently shopping
Minnesota
4 cyl doesn't always get better mileage

Just saw this report 2 days ago. Can't always assume a 4 cylinder engine will always get better mileage.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-economy-test/
MikeSinMN is offline   Reply With Quote