Towing with an Equinox V6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
JAB

Name: John & Joanne
Trailer: UHaul CT13
New Hampshire
Towing with an Equinox V6

I'm considering a Chevy Equinox V6 to haul our UHaul 13 (1200 dry/200 tongue). I haven't seen a thread on this specific vehicle. Has anyone had towing experience with the Equinox? Does it have a "tow package" on the V6? I have seen some with the trailer hitch but most without. Was considering a Venza V6 but there are more Equinoxes available.
Thanks! John
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
I'm considering a Chevy Equinox V6 to haul our UHaul 13 (1200 dry/200 tongue). I haven't seen a thread on this specific vehicle. Has anyone had towing experience with the Equinox? Does it have a "tow package" on the V6? I have seen some with the trailer hitch but most without. Was considering a Venza V6 but there are more Equinoxes available.
Thanks! John
Too bad Pontiac is gone! Didn't they offer both a longer and a shorter version of the Equinox called the Solstice??
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #3

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
John & Joanne, from a look at Chevy's trailering guide (https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ring-guide.pdf), it looks like there is a "factory tow package." From Page 14:

Quote:
Maximum trailer weight rating requires factory-installed trailering equipment.
Maximum trailer weight is 3,500 lbs on certain configurations. Tow/haul mode is also available as an option.

If you check the owner's manual for a given year, it will break down the tow rating, GCWR, GVWR, and axle weights for each trim.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There are on line VIN number checkers where you can find out the original build specs of your vehicle. I did this on my 2010 F150 I bought used. Alternate is to visit the nearest dealer and ask them to run it for you.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
JAB

New Hampshire
Justus and Bill,
Thanks for your responses. I looked at the spec sheet for the Equinox and I would be well within their limits. It doesn't look like the "trailer package" in the Equinox is anything more than the wiring and hitch. Does it ever include items like a transmission cooler, larger radiator, more amps? I know they can be installed "after market" but is Chevy saying that they're not needed for the towing limits they state. Or are these extras included in some vehicle's "tow package" but just hard to find in the spec sheets.
John
Old 03-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Justus and Bill,
Thanks for your responses. I looked at the spec sheet for the Equinox and I would be well within their limits. It doesn't look like the "trailer package" in the Equinox is anything more than the wiring and hitch. Does it ever include items like a transmission cooler, larger radiator, more amps? I know they can be installed "after market" but is Chevy saying that they're not needed for the towing limits they state. Or are these extras included in some vehicle's "tow package" but just hard to find in the spec sheets.
John
John, to answer your question briefly, the tow package is available only on the 2.0L engine models and includes enhanced cooling, a 2" hitch receiver, and a 7-wire connection. The cooling probably can't be added aftermarket. A hitch receiver could be added, but might not have the same capacity. A 7-wire connection can be added. Chevy only lists towing capacities for the 2.0L engine with the tow package. Assumption is that the tow capacity is 1,500 on that engine without the tow package.

From what I can tell (this is from the 2019 manual), GM/Chevy calls the factory tow package for the Equinox "V92 Trailering Provisions." The Equinox manual only says that the Equinox with the 2.0L engine has a maximum towing capacity of 3,505 lbs "With V92 Trailering Provisions." It does not say what your towing capacity would be otherwise, but my assumption would be 1,500 lbs which is what the other engines are rated for. This is on page 269.

Of course the owner's manual does not tell you what is included in these trailering provisions--and neither does Chevy's trailering guide. A quick search took me to a GM Fleet Guide (GM being Chevy's corporate dad). That guide says this about V92: " includes factory-installed Class III 2" receiver
hitch, increased cooling capacity and seven-wire connection."

Our Highlander's tow package included increased cooling capacity in the form of a transmission radiator. When we were shopping, I looked into the feasibility of adding that in case we couldn't find a tow-package-equipped used model. Long story short, it wouldn't be cost effective if I could even find a shop to do it. Also, I like my CPO warranty. I suspect the same is true with your Equinox.

Looking at trucks, I've observed that to achieve max tow capacity, you need the factory-installed hitch because it's integrated into the vehicle frame, as opposed to an aftermarket one which will be bolted on.

Another interesting note: Chevy recommends only using mid-grade gasoline (at least 89 octane) when towing with the Equinox so be sure to factor that into the lifetime cost.

Owner's Manual: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf

GM Fleet Guide: https://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/...wing-guide.pdf
Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Towing with an Equinox V6

Quote:
...is Chevy saying that they're not needed for the towing limits they state...
That’s exactly what Chevy is saying. All vehicles have built-in engine and transmission cooling, and unless the manual specifies additional equipment, Chevy is saying the factory equipment (including tow package in this case) is sufficient for the tow rating they assign. Most newer vehicles are tow-tested using the J2807 protocols, which includes monitoring engine and transmission temperatures under fairly demanding conditions. Newer vehicles are also programmed with fail-safes that trigger a warning or initiate limp-mode when things get outside acceptable ranges.

Justus, I see our posts crossed, and you have done the research into the details of GM’s towing equipment on this model. All looks good.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That’s exactly what Chevy is saying. All vehicles have built-in engine and transmission cooling, and unless the manual specifies additional equipment, Chevy is saying the factory equipment (including tow package in this case) is sufficient for the tow rating they assign. Most newer vehicles are tow-tested using the J2807 protocols, which includes monitoring engine and transmission temperatures under fairly demanding conditions. Newer vehicles are also programmed with fail-safes that trigger a warning or initiate limp-mode when things get outside acceptable ranges.

Justus, I see our posts crossed, and you have done the research into the details of GM’s towing equipment on this model. All looks good.
To clarify what I had posted, the tow package is standard with the 2019 2.0L 4-cylinder engine LT and Premier models, but is not available on the other trims.

I'm realizing now that John's Equinox is a V6. The last year that Chevy produced a V6 Equinox looks to be 2017. Looking at that year's manual, models with the V6 engine can tow 3,500 lbs; no extras needed. But looking at the 2017 trailering guide, it still states that a "Trailering Package" is needed for max capacity. I found a brochure here https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/b...17-equinox.pdf that says the trailering package is nothing more than a 4-pin connector and a 1.25" hitch. So it seems like if you have a V6 Equinox with a 4-pin and a hitch, you are set for trailering to a point. A 4-pin won't allow use of electric trailer brakes.

eTrailer sells 7-pin connectors and kits to add them to your vehicle to allow use of trailer brakes. I recently installed one and it was a PITA. Recommend finding a shop to do it for you.

Like Bill said earlier, you can look up the VIN and it should tell you if the trailering package is factory or not. Toyota had an online VIN lookup tool that allowed me to verify our used purchase came from the factory with the two package. Its presence was identified by the phrase "5000 lbs tow capacity."
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
JAB

New Hampshire
Justus and Jon,
Thanks, you guys have great information. I'm looking at a '16/'17 V6. One of them has hitch and electric already installed and I can look at its VIN and the other info you gave me. It looks like the V6 can tow my UHaul 13 without an added "package". Also, I can't add electric brakes so I only need a 4 pin.

I went on-line and saw an after market installation of hitch and electric which would allow me to buy a V6 and add these on my own (or have them done).

I have a busy weekend ahead and may not be able to respond to posts for the next few days.
THANKS again. John
Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Also, I like my CPO warranty.
Aftermarket accessories by law do not affect your warranty, unless of course the accessory was directly responsible for your transmission failing, ie, leaking oil hoses etc.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the tow package on my lumina included oil cooler, tranny cooler,3 core rad, 4 pin wiring. I had to add in brake controller and charge line It may also include stiffer rear suspension, on my lumina and my envoy, It included rear air suspension
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:28 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Justus and Jon,
Thanks, you guys have great information. I'm looking at a '16/'17 V6. One of them has hitch and electric already installed and I can look at its VIN and the other info you gave me. It looks like the V6 can tow my UHaul 13 without an added "package". Also, I can't add electric brakes so I only need a 4 pin.
in many states, any camp trailer over 1000 or 1500 lbs GWR (max/gross weight rating) has to have brakes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
JAB

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
in many states, any camp trailer over 1000 or 1500 lbs GWR (max/gross weight rating) has to have brakes.
John (and Brian),
Ugh... I'll have to look into this. The CT13 can't be retrofitted with brakes without extensive work - I won't be doing this. I think I could keep the CT13 under 1500. How hard is it to find out which States require brakes? (I hope not NY or I'll only have New England and we want to go out west.) Is there a list available so I don't have the task of checking each State?
John
Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New York, at 1000#, is one of a couple of states with a very low threshold. You might PM Bob of "mary and bob." He lives in NY and owns a U-Haul. Don't know how he handled the issue, but he'll have some good advice.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
JAB

New Hampshire
Thanks, Jon, I've emailed Mary and Bob. John