Towing with bikes on back - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #21

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Smaller lighter units will respond more to the same weight a heavier one will. The weight is a larger percentage of total weight on the light unit. I am not sure comparing units of different weight is a good thing to do where comparing weight distribution is concsrnsd.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Towing with bikes on back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Compensating with extra weight to front does nothing to change the dynamics of the extra weight in the rear. It's still a long pendulum and subject creating sway. Moving weight to the front may mask the problem but doesn't fix the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Maybe somebody can link to the video that shows the dynamics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Moving weight to the front does fix the problem. Weight is weight regardless of how it is obtained...
I believe what Byron and Glenn are pointing out is called "polar moment of inertia." It has to do with rotational forces at play in a sway situation. The principle is that, other things equal, weight concentrated in the center of the trailer (over the axle) is more rotationally stable than the same weight moved out to the ends of the trailer. I've seen the video Glenn referenced but can't seem to find it today.

So, even if you get the tongue weight right, bikes on the back counterbalanced by additional weight on the tongue reduce stability to some extent.

Enough to be dangerous? Maybe, maybe not. The longer and heavier the trailer, the less a few pounds moved here or there matter. Trailer and tow vehicle weight and geometry come into play and many other factors.

If you're going to attempt to carry bicycles on the back of a small trailer, proceed cautiously. Check tongue weight, yes, but also carefully test dynamic performance. Find an open and traffic-free stretch of interstate and wiggle the steering wheel to generate a small amount or sway and make sure the trailer comes right back into line. Start slowly and gradually test up to normal towing speeds. Keep your hand near the brake controller and at any hint of undamped sway, stop.

I carry two lightweight bicycles on the back of our Scamp 13. I have tested stability up to 70 mph but normally tow at 62-65 mph maximum. I also check the receiver attachment often and use a breakaway cable so that if there were a sudden failure of the receiver, the bicycles would be dragged along rather than being left in the road to potentially cause an accident.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Here's a link to a couple of forum threads with a sway video:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...way-76462.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-75474-2.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Two major faults I have seen with bike racks on the back of trailers:

Blocking the tail/turn/stop lights, and too much wiggle. when the rack and bikes flop around, it will just be a matter of time before the bike rack breaks off.
You need to add bungee cords to secure the bikes (and keep the wheels from spinning)
Adding high mounted lights and a high center brake light is a must.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #25

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Two major faults I have seen with bike racks on the back of trailers:

Blocking the tail/turn/stop lights, and too much wiggle. when the rack and bikes flop around, it will just be a matter of time before the bike rack breaks off.
You need to add bungee cords to secure the bikes (and keep the wheels from spinning)
Adding high mounted lights and a high center brake light is a must.
Anybody have some links for auxiliary brake/tail lights that can be mounted with adhesive and external wires from the existing lights?

Our Casita does not have a center brake light now, and isn't likely to get one.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #26

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Magnetic lights? Google it and you may find some that will work.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #27

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Magnetic lights? Google it and you may find some that will work.
On fiberglass?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Will be sending you a PM Mr Lynn with a couple ideas
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Andersen No-Sway hitch is about 55 lbs and would be a good match for a Casita 17. But definitely weigh your tongue and ensure proper weight ratio. A short wheelbase tug will be more affected by the extra length added by rear mounted weight than a long wheelbase vehicle.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #30

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1979 boler 1700
British Columbia
boler sway

I have a 1979 boler 1700 and have welded a new tubular steel bumper on it with a tow hitch and I have a 5 bike carrier on it. If I load the trailer with stuff too far back, I notice sway at about 110km/hr, especially in cross winds or head winds. There are a few things to consider here in addition to all that has been said.
Light weight trailers are not meant to be loaded too much and they are not meant to go down the road too fast. They are single axles that can sway if they are going too fast.I find that I have no problems if I keep it below 110km/hr .
When I had my axle assembly remade by an axle fabricator close by and I gave them the specs for fabrication (hub face to face distance versus weight) this was explained to me. I would like to go faster too but am learning that slow and steady may just win the race.
best of luck going down the road!
Bolerpete is offline   Reply With Quote