Towing with cruise control, bad idea? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Odyssey Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Norm, I'd be curious whether your Honda works like mine (automatically downshifting to hold speed on downgrades when cruise control is set). I forgot to mention earlier- when the grade lessens and speed drops back below the preset speed, the transmission upshifts. You have the newer 6-speed, I believe.

As to rear brake wear, some newer models have "electronic brake force distribution" or something like that. Honda uses it on a number of models (including my Pilot) and there were quite a few complaints in the early years about premature rear brake wear and rotor failure. I don't think it had anything to do with adaptive cruise control, but that rear brakes were forced to work harder and the size of the rotors may not have been up to the task. Of course, driving style may have been a factor as well (which is what Honda claimed, of course...). My previous TV, a 2000 Sienna, went 150K on the front pads and never needed rears in 190K of ownership, so I don't think I'm too hard on brakes. We'll see how the Pilot does.
Jon, We only have 1500 miles towing all on generally flat land. I need to do more testing with the Odyssey. I do have 'electronic brake force distribution' for 'slippery' situations though I have never felt it activate. If you don't want it you can disable it after you start up. I am impressed with the Odyssey's cornering ability, it seems to handle well for a large car.

I usually change my own brake pads and will keep an eye on their performance. I rarely do much braking. I generally am always looking ahead and generally roll to stops not like some who drive hard to stop lights/signs and apply their brakes.

I do not feel more relaxed or less attentive when driving in cruise. I expect that my reaction time is no less with cruise, though I'm sure it's slowing with age.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is interesting since most trailer tires are rated 65 and 2 of the states you drive thru have 55 mph limits on towing with trailers. Hope you make it safely...
The Goodyear Marathons on my Escape 19 are rated for 75 mph if I pressure them 10 psi over the pressure rated for the weight on them. I am a long ways from maximum weight. Others closer to the maximum weight rating for the tire may not be able to though.

I do tow up to 75 mph with my trailer all the time, as long as the speed limit allows it. Most highways around here are 100 or 110 kph (6 or 68 mph). A lot of BC is only 90 kph (56 mph) though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #43

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
How does one know what states have traffic laws like that (55 towing a trailer?!?) Are there signs at the interstate entrances? Do laws like that apply to tractor trailers as well? If it doesn't, it should!

I commute on an interstate every day. Tractor trailers are the bane of my existence!

Frank
Well Frank, here in Ca there are speed signs posted along the freeways; autos/trucks with trailers 55. But you sure don't see it observed much.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Well Frank, here in Ca there are speed signs posted along the freeways; autos/trucks with trailers 55. But you sure don't see it observed much.

I've noticed that, too. Trailering speed limits seem routinely ignored in CA.

I regularly drive I-10 between Phoenix and LA, with and without a trailer, and here's what I have noticed. On the AZ side, where everyone can go 75mph if they want, surprisingly few go that fast with trucks and RVs typically averaging about 65mph. On the CA side, where trucks and RVs are limited to 55mph, they still go about 65mph.

If you want to experience what happens when a truck going 56 pulls into a lane of passenger vehicles trying to go 65 in order to pass another truck going 54, just drive the Central Valley from Bakersfield to Fresno!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #45

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Love cruise control. Towing at a steady 55 in the granny lane on I-40E after crossing into AZ I once got seriously cut off by a small truck. Guessing he owned oil stocks.
Attached Thumbnails
AlleyOop1abc.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Hi Pat, Yes manually tapping the brakes does deactivate the cruise control, but when cruise is on and the driver does not manually use the brakes the cruise control will still slow the vehicle by applying the rear brakes and that does not trigger the trailer brakes.
I've never even heard of such a thing, could you please explain what vehicle does this, or what specific system.
I suspect that you may be referring to some of the new systems which control following distance. VW calls it (ACC) automatic distance control, an additional automotive function far enough removed from cruise control to warrant separate nomenclature.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #47

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Then there was the time in the 1960’s I was pulling a U-Haul up I-5 through the Sacramento area. I believe the speed limits at the time were 60 mph for cars and 55 mph when towing. We were coming for the LA area, had been on the road for several hours and were getting tired so I was going to look for a motel. As I pulled off the freeway I noticed the Highway Patrol was right behind me. Once off the exit ramp on came that dreaded bubblegum light; I was ticketed for going 5 mph over the speed limit for trailers.

But that was back in the dark ages.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #48

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
FWIW and reading the owner's guide, Ford’s system is called adaptive cruise control. It is an optional upgrade from "plain" cruise control. It does apply brakes/close/ease the throttle according to some algorithm when the “gap” you set is violated. Until that gap warning is invoked, no autonomous brake application. In other words, if you changed to a clear lane before the gap was violated there would be no braking. Without the "adaptive" option, no autonomous braking at all.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #49

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
FWIW and reading the owner's guide, Ford’s system is called adaptive cruise control. It is an optional upgrade from "plain" cruise control. It does apply brakes/close/ease the throttle according to some algorithm when the “gap” you set is violated. Until that gap warning is invoked, no autonomous brake application. In other words, if you changed to a clear lane before the gap was violated there would be no braking. Without the "adaptive" option, no autonomous braking at all.
Subaru also calls it adaptive cruise control on my Outback. Love it. The stereo cameras pick up a leading car/truck seemingly at about 250 feet. Sorry, its difficult to measure. You can set 3 or 4 preset following distances. I use 190 feet, the longest available. The system seems to measure the relative closing speed and retards the throttle and even brakes if the cars are closing too rapidly. If you pull into another lane your original speed is returned. BTW the system also brakes if you encounter a pedestrian, brick wall or stopped vehicle. Haven't tried out that feature; really hope never to.

Cheers, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #50

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
What's it do if someone were to pull into the lane in front of you, halving the distance to the vehicle in front of you. At 190' this would happen all the time in rush hour traffic around here.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #51

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
What's it do if someone were to pull into the lane in front of you, halving the distance to the vehicle in front of you. At 190' this would happen all the time in rush hour traffic around here.

Good question but who would be using CC in rush hour traffic ? That's a person I want to be on a different road from
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #52

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
When someone pulls in front the computer makes a determination of the relative speed. If the car in front is substantially slower it cuts the throttle and may even brake. If both cars are moving at similar speed it is patient in widening the distance; my speed may not even decrease. Still I keep attentive. I enjoy computers and tech but machines do break and some even get viruses. They say self-driving cars are ready to roll; it's just that the public isn't ready. I for one am not ready.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 AM   #53

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Then maybe you could drive at rush hour with the ACC on, nice.

Heck, soon we won't have to call a cab for a ride home after the company Christmas party. Of course that would mean I'd have to still be working for a company. Guess just having it back the trailer in between the garage and the fence will have to do.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #54

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
...They say self-driving cars are ready to roll; it's just that the public isn't ready. I for one am not ready.
There are so many people now who text, read, apply makeup, drink alcohol, etc while driving. It would be a lot safer for them and everyone else on the road if those people's cars were self-driving.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #55

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
There are so many people now who text, read, apply makeup, drink alcohol, etc while driving. It would be a lot safer for them and everyone else on the road if those people's cars were self-driving.
Only until these "self aware" cars start primping and texting and trying to avoid dirt or salt,or applying wax while driving.
Heck they already steadily sip a 10.0% or higher fluid alcohol content while driving, And that's not counting the hard stuff ( E-85 flexfuel)
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #56

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Only until these "self aware" cars start primping and texting and trying to avoid dirt or salt,or applying wax while driving.
Heck they already steadily sip a 10.0% or higher fluid alcohol content while driving, And that's not counting the hard stuff ( E-85 flexfuel)

Good one, Floyd. Don't care personally if it drives itself but I want one of those self-waxing models!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV