Towing with FWD V6 vs a Jetta TDI - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Hey there Angela. My family is all from the valley. Great people and a great province.

The tow rating thing can drive folks nuts. I find it amazing that the small 4 cyl Hyundi Elantra car Top 10 Vehicles for Towing is rated for 3,000lbs yet the V6 Santa Fe SUV is rated for less. Amazingly large V8 sedans like the big Caddy STS is only rated for 1,000lbs.

Most vehicle when set up optimally will handle an egg.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #16

Name: Angela
Trailer: Boler
nova scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Hey there Angela. My family is all from the valley. Great people and a great province.

The tow rating thing can drive folks nuts. I find it amazing that the small 4 cyl Hyundi Elantra car Top 10 Vehicles for Towing is rated for 3,000lbs yet the V6 Santa Fe SUV is rated for less. Amazingly large V8 sedans like the big Caddy STS is only rated for 1,000lbs.

Most vehicle when set up optimally will handle an egg.
Nuts is most definitly what I am feelin! I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one confused by all this. I've already let the Sante Fe go, ie not buying it, and am starting to look all over again. I would also think most vehicles could tow my 13' which is why I bought it. Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself. When I was camping in my RWD van I got stuck in the sand twice and I just don't want to have to avoid camping on BLM land or going over mountan passes because I didn't buy the right vehicle. I'm sure this will all work out. I just didn't realize how ignorant I am regarding towing safely.

Oh, and yeah. I would say we're a pretty good bunch out here on the east coast

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #17

Name: Angela
Trailer: Boler
nova scotia
I find it amazing that the small 4 cyl Hyundi Elantra car Top 10 Vehicles for Towing is rated for 3,000lbs yet the V6 Santa Fe SUV is rated for less.

BTW that tow rating is for a trailer that has brakes, without the rating is 1000lbs.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The (2013) Hyundai Santa Fe will tow up to 5,000 pounds depending on model...if we're talkin' used/other models it's a different ball game.

Here's a link to specs for one 2013 6cyl.: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV 3.3L V6 6-speed Automatic Features and Specs

Seems like plenty of vehicle for a 1300 pound trailer. Probably more room in the tug than the tow, which could turn out to be important for a fulltimer...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I personally do not like front wheel drive for towing. Traction can be an issue when pulling out on an uphill gravel or grass slope. This is a situation I often find myself in when trying to get away from the crowds and seeking the primitive areas of a campground.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #20

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Putting on brakes usually means a new axle Angela, and if you hire it done, you're probably looking at a grand Canadian. Sometimes the new axle can be avoided if the existing axle has mounting flanges for brakes. To figure that out, you would need to pull a wheel and see if there is a steel plate behind the wheel mounted to the axle with 4 holes. That is where the brake assembly would attach, and would reduce the cost of installation by 1/2 I would think.

It will also mean your vehicle will need a 7 pin RV plug and a brake controller as opposed to the 4 pin normally used for lights on towables without brakes. That can run into a few hundred too if you can't do it yourself. To avoid the 7 pin plug and brake controller thing, you can go with hydraulic brakes. Those are mostly used on boat trailers, but can be used on other kinds of trailers too. I prefer electric for my travel trailers, hydraulic for my boat trailers.

Frank
Old 06-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I personally do not like front wheel drive for towing. Traction can be an issue when pulling out on an uphill gravel or grass slope. This is a situation I often find myself in when trying to get away from the crowds and seeking the primitive areas of a campground.
If you can do it, 4wd drive is best in a vehicle that has primary drive rear wheels and goes to 4wd by engaging the front wheels.

Frank
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The (2013) Hyundai Santa Fe will tow up to 5,000 pounds depending on model...if we're talkin' used/other models it's a different ball game.

Here's a link to specs for one 2013 6cyl.: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV 3.3L V6 6-speed Automatic Features and Specs

Seems like plenty of vehicle for a 1300 pound trailer. Probably more room in the tug than the tow, which could turn out to be important for a fulltimer...

Francesca
I think that the o.p. mentioned that she has a budget of $5000, which could be very limiting for a safe and reliable vehicle that can still pull an egg.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that the o.p. mentioned that she has a budget of $5000, which could be very limiting for a safe and reliable vehicle that can still pull an egg.
O-o-o-o-h. Missed that. Thanks, Bob.

That's a tall order, especially for someone looking to go fulltime with lots of mountain travel.

Never mind the new vehicle specs!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #24

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I think a small AWD or FWD w/selectable AWD (do they make those any more?) would be better for the stated intent to use BLM lands out west. The Santa Fe sounds like it will have the power but the brakes may be over taxed when towing.

The Jetta TDI I would stay away for a couple reasons. They are notorious for sitting low and banging the engine, even in parking lots. You don't want to have a busted oil pan way out on BLM lands. The tow bill is huge! And the TDI, along with rest of the car, is an expensive animal to feed if you aren't doing a big portion of the repairs yourself. It also helps to know some TDI and VW guru mechanics. Now don't get me wrong, I love mine but also I work for VW. As such I get the "hook up" on parts and have all the special tools.

If it was me I would find an older CRV or Sportage, have a mechanic (like myself) inspect it Then over maintain it a little. Both are tried and true designs and can be had in AWD/4WD versions if you want it. One member full times the CRV and I know another uses the KIA with success.

Jason
Old 06-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
FWD w/selectable AWD (do they make those any more?)
Sort of. Nothing current or recent that I know of is pure 2WD until manually selected, but some systems allow degrees of control, such as locking the rear diff or the rear drive clutch.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #26

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
The Santa Fe sounds like it will have the power but the brakes may be over taxed when towing
I don't know why the brakes on this particular tug would be an issue, but then I would have trailer brakes...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
With a trailer weight like that Angela, I would bet your tongue weight is somewhere between 100lbs and 160lbs.
You will be hard pressed to keep any small trailer with a propane tank and a battery on the tongue under 160lbs. As the real weights list shows even with the 13' Bolers most are over 200lbs on the tongue. Only one under on the list and anyones guess as to why - empty propane tank or a little tank perhaps?

As far as breaks go most manufacturers require them on trailers of more than a 1000lbs assuming the vehicle is rated to tow more than that and at least one of the vehicles you are considering isn't. Usually a good reason for that ;-) Yet its a good bet the total weight of your Boler loaded for camping will weigh in at much more than a 1000lbs - actually close to double that as the Real World Weights List shows.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
A Subaru would be another vehicle to consider but it also requires brakes on a trailer over 1000lbs.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote