towing with honda CRV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
I have no evidence that the vehicles are exactly the same (with U.S. weighing more with probably safety devices) and post it only for the interesting entertainment value. However, they are clearly very much similar, which still leaves the huge towing difference unexplained.

And everyone should note that the AU limit without brakes is actually lower than the US limit. So apparently AU puts a lot of value in trailer brakes in the towing calculation.

As a contrast, I believe AU has the Odyssey at a 1,500# limit vs. the 3.500# in the U.S.

I don't know of anyone contacting Honda over this.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Generically speaking, most (if not all) automobiles with automatic transmissions have transmission coolers. The transmission cooler is usually located in the bottom of the main radiator and you can see the transmission fluid lines going into it. For trailer towing, transmission cooling usually refers to an additional transmission cooler in series with the radiator cooling.

It's kind of like tire pressures, far better to err on the side of too much cooling than too little.

Regarding safety margins in just about anything, the capacities were set with the margins in mind; to exceed the capacities for a very short time under unusual circumstances may be OK, but to mentally adjust the capacities upwards on a permanent basis is exceeding the intent of the original design and may be asking for long-term trouble.

The 2,000 lb limit on a hitch design is not just to handle 2K lbs of dead weight, but to also handle it in live situations like violent road maneuvers and sway. Exceeding limits has a lot in common with Russian Roulette except that the odds can be computed in RR...

Old 07-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #17

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I dunno how much or little my two cents might help, but here goes! hehe
I have an automatic 2001 Honda CRV (first generation design) and I have a 1973 Compact II that I tow with it. I don't have anything aftermarket-wise, no add on trans cooler or trailer brakes or anything. I have the heavier duty Class 2 hitch that takes the 2" inserts vs that little wimpy Class 1 thing, and am very happy with that. I BELIEVE that the Compacts are some of the lightest weight FBRV's, so I think I'm well within my tow capacity.
I try to keep my speed around 60 MPH, and make it a point to stick to the slow lane all the time. While it is a load on my CRV (gas mileage goes down to like 17-18MPG) I think that if one uses plenty of good common sense and follows good trailering etiquette (Leave a couple of car lengths between you and the vehicle ahead, stop now and then to let the vehicle cool off, especially after a big grade, etc) I THINK I'm doing okay. I also have the tranny fluid changed more frequently, like yearly, to keep it fresh and free flowing for my hard working transmission. I've wandered around on the Honda CRV website looking for info and advice on this, and this all seems fairly acceptable.
I DO also think that if I were to go with a mildly heavier rig, like a 13' Scamp with a bathroom or something, let alone a 16'er, I would move up to a bigger TV.
But for my little Compact, or one waverunner, or my quad on it's little flatbed trailer I think are all quite within the abilities of my CRV.
So there's my two cents, hope that helps SOMEBODY! hehe Joe
Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Now I'm really confused and worried....all the info that I'm getting from the hitch retailers is that they can't put anything other than a Class I hitch on the CRV. What has been your experience?
I checked the Reese web site, and found that they offer only a Class I. The availability of larger hitches with 2" boxes (which don't impart any greater towing capacity to the vehicle) for the similar Element may be due to the different owner groups: the Element is more likely to be chosen by "active lifestyle" users, who are more likely to tow stuff than the "station wagon" user.

I don't see any reason to be worried. A Class I hitch is perfectly appropriate for any trailer which the CR-V should be towing (which means no more than 1500 lb). If a 1500 lb trailer has too much tongue weight for a Class I hitch (likely 200 lb limit), it probably also has too much for the CR-V, and more than it should have anyway.

If there is a problem, I think it is with the trailer, or the tow vehicle capacity (not the hitch)... and we don't even know that there is any problem there, since we don't know what ithe trailer weighs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #19

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
etrailer has one 2" for the 2003 CR-V: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2003_Honda_CR-V.htm
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #20

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
After MUCH shopping around on the 'Net, that's where I found my hitch at, ETrailer.com. Was the hitch I was looking for, and the best price around too! They not only had the hitch, but the wiring harness too. I THINK I found the directions for connecting the harness on a Honda website though, like a technical manual for Honda techs. Between that and the instructions that the hitch and harness came with, I was able to get everything connected up just fine.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #21

Alberta
Quote:
...It's kind of like tire pressures, far better to err on the side of too much [transmission] cooling than too little...
Yes, but...
Adding a cooler means adding at least one hose or hard line, and at least two more connections. Will the aftermarket cooler be constructed, installed, and plumbed to the standards of the original? I doubt it. A fluid leak would be far more serious than a little too much heat. I would rather stay with the best configuration offered by the factory, and stay within their operating limits.

Quote:
...I also have the tranny fluid changed more frequently, like yearly, to keep it fresh and free flowing for my hard working transmission...
I'm a little hesitant about this plan, too. While certainly well-intentioned and reasonable, it seems that contamination is a serious concern for automatic transmissions. Manufacturers are discouraging frequent fluid changes, and even routine fluid level checks, because damage due to a bit of dirt in the fluid is more of a problem than old fluid. I'm not changing mine until the routine change interval, which is not until 96,000 km (about 60,000 miles). More frequent may be called for, but annually might be too often.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Brian, your concerns about installation of an after-market cooler are valid and one reason why some folks towing the Bulgemobiles like a transmission fluid temperature gauge.

The good thing about that is you aren't guessing or hoping that your system is dealing with the problems of air flow, hills, ambient temps and humidity, fan clutches, etc., you can SEE a problem developing!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #23

Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
I was just reading Honda Pilot manual and their recommendation is, if you tow a trailer, to have the transmission fluid changed at least ONCE a year or every 48,000 km which is 30,000 miles. In other words, double the frequency (same recommendation as far as the timing belt is concerned!). More than that the guaranty is no more valid if you don't get a transmission AND power steering cooler.

I think that everyone should conclude that towing a trailer is very tough on a vehicle.

Why insist on recommending the minimum ? Play it SAFE.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #24

Alberta
Pete, I agree that monitoring transmission fluid temperature would be good, removing uncertainty and providing real information on which to base decisions. I might get around to adding it some day.

It seems that most people towing trailers don't even know how much the trailer weighs, or how much load they're carrying in the vehicle, or how much load is on each axle, or whether any of these exceeds rated limits... so for most people the transmission fluid temperature is not the most important information to collect. It would be like someone about to cross a street using a radar gun to measure the speed of traffic approaching from one direction... and not even looking the other way!

I agree that towing is severe service. I would not generally recommend doing the minimum (for instance, I use a fully synthetic engine oil because it is better), but doing lots of things is not necessarily doing the right thing. If my owner's manual said to change the transmission fluid more frequently, I would do that.

The annual part of the quoted Honda recommendation is bizarre; it would have an average driver changing the fluid more than twice as frequently as the distance recommendation (48,000 km). Transmission fluid doesn't rot; it gets degraded by heat, contaminated by wear particles, and degraded by chemical side effects of the first two problems. If you towed around the block once and parked the vehicle for a year, would the fluid need replacing?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 75 Boler
I own a 75 Boler and a 2000 CRV as a second car. I would never try to pull my 13' boler with a CRV. The CRV's center of gravity is too high to make it a safe tow vehicle. Not enough weight there, any sway in the trailer and your a rollin!!!

Monty
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I am in process of purchasing a 13' Scamp. I am really excited. I drive a Honda CRV (2003). Anything that I need to know? It has been suggested that I get a transmission cooler. I called one dealership and was told that they don't make transmission coolers for 2003 CRV's. I have also been told that the CRV has the equivalent of a tranny cooler already in it. I'm a little confused. Anybody else out there towing with a CRV? I also need to get a hitch package installed? Any info I need to know?
Hi there, we own our second 13' Scamp and we have always pulled it with my 2002 CRV.
Just make sure OverDrive is OFF.
No problems so far!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
California
Just got back from a 1,000 mile trip to the Eastern Sierras, towing with a Vibe and a 13' Scamp. Checked the tranny temps (no added cooler - Toyota powertrain has a built in cooler) and never went over 173 degrees on tranny temps... towed during the cool times of the day, climbed Sherwin Grade without a hiccup... Outside of NOT driving when it was a 105 degrees and NOT using overdrive, I was mindful of my rpms (kept 'em up above 3k), everything worked great!

Now, I've got a fairly stiff suspension on the Vibe and it is a very level tow... I figure if the engineers say "1500 pounds" tow rating and the engineers say "2000 lbs" rating on the hitch, that that is pretty precise... they didn't mean 920 lbs or 1277 lbs... they really actually meant 1500 or 2000 with a margin of safety involved...

but, that's just my opinion...

(psst - Patrick! what a great little trailer!)
Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Hi there, we own our second 13' Scamp and we have always pulled it with my 2002 CRV.
Just make sure OverDrive is OFF.
No problems so far!

I should drive with the overdrive "Off" all the time?