Towing with Outback - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
Towing with Outback

Anyone towing with 4 cyl. Outback (or similar) are you doing OK with the basic 2.5 Outback or do you all have the 3.6 which has higher "torque"? (whatever that is!)

Old 10-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Liz
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp
Arizona
When I'm driving my 2.5 Outback I often have to check the rear view mirror to make sure the Scamp is still right there following, and it always is! Even up high mountains and across endless hot deserts. Outback plus Scamp is a winning combo.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #3

Name: Keith
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Indiana
Towing with Outback

I tow with a 2014 Outback with the 4 cylinder engine with the 6 speed MANUAL transmission and this works fine. I don't know about the 4 cylinder with the automatic transmission. It would probably depend on altitude and hill climbing. My daughter went with a 6 cylinder KIA because she lives in Arizona which has higher temperatures and mountains.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 16
Oregon
Towing with Outback

I tow a Scamp 16 with the 3.6 engine and have had no issues. Plenty of power in the mountains and I like the feeling of power to spare in iffy traffic situations.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn N. View Post
Anyone towing with 4 cyl. Outback (or similar) are you doing OK with the basic 2.5 Outback or do you all have the 3.6 which has higher "torque"? (whatever that is!)
More torque is going to give you a bit more power on the hills & more power is always nice to have. Having said that though I pulled for 6 years with the basic 2.5 and got by ok with its power level - took it through mountain passes etc. Just do not expect to win any races with it on the long steep hills.

The two key points to keep in mind when looking at the Outbacks as a two vehicle:

The Outback has a tongue weight limit of 200lbs regardless of which engine it has. So if you were to go with a trailer greater in size than a 13' you will probable find as several of us here have, that your going to have to go over that spec in order to get/keep a real nice solid tow in all weather/travel conditions. Subaru does not recommend the use of WDH on their vehicles to help with that issue due to the unique all wheel drive system they use as well as the cars frame design.

Subaru requires brakes on anything you tow over 1000lbs!

You will not be disappointed in the Subaru's ability to provide a nice solid safe tow providing you keep within Subaru's specs and follow their recommendations.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Use "Search"

There are several threads under the search "Subaru." Here is one:

towing with Subaru Outback

We first towed Homelet with our 2000 2.4L Subaru Outback with manual xmission. Now we tow her with our 2014 2.4L Subaru Outback with automatic. Both work(ed) fine.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #7

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
OK, a short lesson in mechanics: "Torque" is the rotational force produced by an energy source, in this case the engine.
Horse power is a measure of (force x distance) divided by time.
Torque is usually measured in Foot Pounds.
One pound of force applied at the end of a lever one foot long equals one ft-lb of torque.
One horsepower is equal to 33,000 ft-lb per minute

Most car engines produce relatively low torque, but rotate at high RPM. (Revolutions per Minute)
Engine output torque is multiplied through the gears in the transmission and differential. So, that you get high torque at lower RPM at the drive axles
And that is what gives you the force needed to move the car and trailer.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #8

Name: Pierre
Trailer: Sidekick 1500 2014
Quebec
Quote:
I have a 2014 2,5l and i tow a trillium of 2200 pounds without no problemo.Perfect match: 22 miles per gallon.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #9

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I towed a Scamp 16 nicely with a 4 cyl saturn vue and now tow a 13 with a 4 cyl outback. 40,000 miles later, including many mountain roads, I am pleased. However I would not be without trailer brakes.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #10

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita 17' SD; Tow Vehicle 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
North Carolina
Registry
I have a 2012 3.6 Outback and a 17 ft Casita SD. I have not towed the Casita with my Outback yet due to concerns with braking and going downhill. Power wise I think it would be fine. I live in the NC/TN mountains so have to drive on mountain roads no matter which way I go. Do any of you have any experience/advice on towing the 17 ft as opposed to the 13 ft. I have an old truck that works fine for trips around here, but I probably will need to upgrade before taking an extended trip, especially like the mountains out west! Thanks for any input!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a 13 foot Uhaul that we towed with a Honda CRV. Then bought a Casita 17 that no way I would try to tow with the CRV so bought a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 that tows the Casita real good. I prefer a tow vehicle that is maybe considered overkill rather than a marginal one. Makes for a much more comfortable ride.
Edit, the Ram is really nice for towing the Uhaul as at close to 1500 lb it has no brakes
Old 10-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan J View Post
Do any of you have any experience/advice on towing the 17 ft as opposed to the 13 ft. I have an old truck that works fine for trips around here, but I probably will need to upgrade before taking an extended trip, especially like the mountains out west! Thanks for any input!
Susan I pulled a 16' Scamp with my Outback lightly loaded no water came in at 2500lbs (including 240lbs on the tongue). Had no problems with braking. Had to do a few quick stops in unforeseen situations on steep hills at fast mph's and it stopped it well, but although I had good working brakes on the trailers (put new ones on it shortly after I got it) & a good controller I did go through brakes faster on the Outback than I have on any previous autos.

I would not recommend towing anything more than the 13' with the Outback for a couple of reasons A) always over the tongue weight limit - needed to do so to get the most solid of a tow in all conditions. In my case I never had rear passengers in the car and carried only very light items in the rear to try and make up for the tongue weight overage. Spent a lot of time fussing about where the best place was to stow things in order to avoid putting to much weight on the tongue but at the same time keeping a solid tow. Not to mention time spent frequently cleaning out as many low use items as I could to keep the weight of the trailer down. C) Towing that size of trailer turned out over time to create *a lot* of wear and tear issues not had on previously owned Outbacks with far more milage on them. Subaru actually did help me out and paid for a portion of some of the repairs due to the low milage on the car although it was off warranty. But it was clear if I kept towing with it the issues were going to continue to mount up.

If your pulling a 17' Casita I agree upgrading to something with a higher towing spec than the Outback is a good idea & is what I ended up doing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:47 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Have to agree with Carol and others, 17' Casitas are heavy. I like to stay within 1/2 to 3/4 of my tugs tow rating.....and brakes on the trailer just cuz. I've had a couple "ragged edge" trailer experiences 45 years ago with a combo to close for comfort. A learning experience noted and never happening again. YMMV but a few mpgs to me aren't worth it to use an iffy tug for the weight.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan J View Post
I have a 2012 3.6 Outback and a 17 ft Casita SD. I have not towed the Casita with my Outback yet due to concerns with braking and going downhill. Power wise I think it would be fine. I live in the NC/TN mountains so have to drive on mountain roads no matter which way I go. Do any of you have any experience/advice on towing the 17 ft as opposed to the 13 ft. I have an old truck that works fine for trips around here, but I probably will need to upgrade before taking an extended trip, especially like the mountains out west! Thanks for any input!

According to the sticky thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section, the average loaded weight of a Casita 17D is 3300 pounds with an average tongue weight of 425 pounds. The tongue weight especially pushes this well out of the realm of possibility for an Outback, in my view.