Towing with Sienna/Rav4/Highlander? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I pull a 17 ft EggCamper with my 2008 Toyota Highlander V6 (with 5000 lb tow package). I use normal unleaded gas and get between 15 and 18 mpg at mostly 60 mph. The Highlander pulls the trailer very well and will consider repurchasing a newer Highlander (with tow package) in the future when needed. The only issue I don't like is the fact that you cannot lock out overdrive.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Gayle View Post
I pull a 17 ft EggCamper with my 2008 Toyota Highlander V6...
The only issue I don't like is the fact that you cannot lock out overdrive.
With the 2008 Highlander non-hybrid gear selector, can you place it in the first position below "D"? This would be "4" for a five-speed like mine; "5" for a six-speed. That locks out the top gear ("overdrive"), but shifters with the "+/-" pattern (instead of a notch for each gear) don't have an obvious equivalent.

What does the 2008 Highlander manual say to do with the transmission selector when towing with the non-hybrid V6?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When I looked at the Highlander I saw that the v-6 required premium fuel. Might want to check on that.
Nope. The Highlander uses regular gas.
Laura & Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
I pull a 17 ft EggCamper with my 2008 Toyota Highlander V6 (with 5000 lb tow package). I use normal unleaded gas and get between 15 and 18 mpg at mostly 60 mph. The Highlander pulls the trailer very well and will consider repurchasing a newer Highlander (with tow package) in the future when needed. The only issue I don't like is the fact that you cannot lock out overdrive.
I have a 08 Highlander also, with over 100k towing miles. Locking out OD is easy. Just move the shift lever to the left, from D into S (selectshift). This puts it into 4th and prevents it from going into 5th...OD. From this position, the shifter can be bumped to the back to drop into 3, or 2 , or 1... with all higher gears locked out.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #25

Mike Magee,

I gotta ask, what does E14RB mean?? It's driving me nuts!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mike,

In your scenario....are you saying I would have to manually shift the gears up and down??
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick View Post
Mike Magee,

I gotta ask, what does E14RB mean?? It's driving me nuts!
I'll take a stab at that one...but only 'cause it mystified me, too!

I think it means "Escape 14 foot trailer with a rear bed".

Although if this proves to be correct, it opens up the Unsolved Mystery of where the bed must be in other models- I guess one could say that this "Escapes" me!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #28

Francesca, me thinks that Escape come only in 13, 15, 17, 19 and the 5.0 versions. I don't recall any Escape 14 footer.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
His Escape is not a molded "Escape Industries Ltd" trailer but a SOB type.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #30

You guys are killing me, now it SOB. Do I dare ask what SOB stands for?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some other brand- SOB
http://kz-rv.com/spree-escape/E14RB
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick View Post
Francesca, me thinks that Escape come only in 13, 15, 17, 19 and the 5.0 versions. I don't recall any Escape 14 footer.

Turns out we're both wrong "Escape" comes in a 16 foot version, too!

Here's the Escape E14RB:

But I still think "RB" means rear bed....

Francesca

P.S. per your semantics question:

"SOB" is a scornful way to refer to trailers that aren't cast in a fiberglass mold.

F.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Here's the Escape E14RB:

Francesca

"SOB" is a scornful way to refer to trailers that aren't cast in a fiberglass mold.

F.
From another forum:
Quote:
RB= rear bath, s= slide, ss= super side, BH = bunk house, RK= rear kitchen, RE= rear entertainment, RL= rear living, FK= front kitchen, QB or QBUD = quad bunk, TB or TBUD= triple bunk, FL= front living, OK= outside kitchen (have seen this one on occasion) you may see a mix ie RKOK= rear kitchen and outside kitchen, ignore the # on the unit for length, it has become kind of meaningless. ie my 26BL is a 30' bunkhose.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Here's the Escape E14RB:

Francesca

F.
looking at the layout... I'm guessing RB means Rear Bath!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
From another forum:
Quote:
RB= rear bath, s= slide, ss= super side, BH = bunk house, RK= rear kitchen, RE= rear entertainment, RL= rear living, FK= front kitchen, QB or QBUD = quad bunk, TB or TBUD= triple bunk, FL= front living, OK= outside kitchen (have seen this one on occasion) you may see a mix ie RKOK= rear kitchen and outside kitchen, ignore the # on the unit for length, it has become kind of meaningless. ie my 26BL is a 30' bunkhose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
looking at the layout... I'm guessing RB means Rear Bath!
OH! Yeah- that door would make getting past a "rear bed" pretty awkward, right? Once again, my idjit switch kicked on...

And thanks for the " abbreviations key", Dave!

Francesca
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #36

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Mike,

In your scenario....are you saying I would have to manually shift the gears up and down??
Not at all. When you move the shifter to S, it's able to shift anywhere between 1, 2, 3, and 4 all on its own. It won't go into 5th... unless you tap the lever UP, or back to the right for Drive.

Now, if you tap the lever DOWN once while in S, that will also lock out 4th. Now it will shift by itself, as needed, between 1, 2, and 3.... but not 4 or 5.

Tap it down again, and it'll lock out 3rd. Now it can only shift on its own between 1 and 2. I've used this while towing my trailer up Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, and similar steep, long, winding passes.

Yes, I have a SOB trailer. What can I say? It's a stickie with FG gelcoat, and I paid less than $10K for it brand new. Hopefully it will last for half a decade or so. It's 16' long, but minus the tongue I guess it's 14', so it's E (for Escape) 14 (box length) RB (rear bath).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

Yes, I have a SOB trailer. What can I say? It's a stickie with FG gelcoat, and I paid less than $10K for it brand new. Hopefully it will last for half a decade or so. It's 16' long, but minus the tongue I guess it's 14', so it's E (for Escape) 14 (box length) RB (rear bath).
Good grief- it's not like you have to confess or anything, Mike. That's a great little trailer and a lot lighter than some of the big boys in this so-called "lightweight trailers" forum!

Sheesh...it's like folks think there's been an "outing" or something...

Stick with us, Mike!

Francesca

P.S. to all:

And can everybody please stop saying "SOB"???

In the first place it's rude, and in the second place it was coined at the Airstream Forums and it's their derogatory term for anyone that "can't" own an AIRSTREAM.

Yes....that's right...fiberglass trailer are "SOB's" by definition, so let's just knock it off with using that term against our own members' rigs.

End of speechifying. For now.

Have a nice day!

F.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:

P.S. to all:

And can everybody please stop saying "SOB"???

In the first place it's rude, and in the second place it was coined at the Airstream Forums and it's their derogatory term for anyone that "can't" own an AIRSTREAM.

Yes....that's right...fiberglass trailer are "SOB's" by definition, so let's just knock it off with using that term against our own members' rigs.

End of speechifying. For now.

Have a nice day!

F.
I just luv your wild imagination FK
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #39

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
When you move the shifter to S, it's able to shift anywhere between 1, 2, 3, and 4 all on its own. It won't go into 5th... unless you tap the lever UP, or back to the right for Drive.

Now, if you tap the lever DOWN once while in S, that will also lock out 4th. Now it will shift by itself, as needed, between 1, 2, and 3.... but not 4 or 5.

Tap it down again, and it'll lock out 3rd. Now it can only shift on its own between 1 and 2. I've used this while towing my trailer up Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, and similar steep, long, winding passes.
In other words, "+" and "-" just move the selection one step at a time along the traditional P-R-N-D-5-4-3-2-L sequence... without needing all of those notches on shift lever mechanism (just P-R-N-D-+/-). At each step, the chosen "gear" is the highest gear the transmission will use (other than a likely protective upshift if you go too fast for the selected gear and try to drive the engine over 6000 or 7000 rpm).

This is the same behaviour described for the 2011+ Sienna (in a thread in another forum), which seems likely to be the same transmission.

In many other vehicles, the "+/-" mode is a manual selection; in this case it's still automatic, which is why its operation was not obvious... unless, of course, you read the manual.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Can't recall your tow vehicle Mike, but the manual for my RAV4 says to tow in 4, not in Drive and not to tow uphill for any extended time in 3. Toyota wants you to leave in in 4 and let the vehicle do the downshift as required.

Showing off, I dropped down to 3 and headed for the top of the Coquihalla at 60+ mph once ( with the trailer ). Almost got to the top when the transmission overheat light came on. Moved it back to 4 and eased off. All OK in the end, but I won't do it again. ( had a scheduled full service including transmission fluid shortly after ).
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote