towing with tacoma - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: garry
Trailer: trillium 4500
British Columbia
Posts: 23
towing with tacoma

I sealed the deal on a very nice Trillium4500 on the weekend,our first trailer.It is out of town and we will be picking it up in April. My question if you can help me,what sort of hitch will I need if towing with 4by4 Tacoma. What I mean is will I need a straight hitch or should I have one that drops a bit? Will post pics of this beauty when we pick her up.We are soo excited.Thanks for your input.
__________________

__________________
garry g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
contact the seller and ask him to measure how high the receiver is when the trailer is level, then get a drawbar based on the height of your truck, of which we have no clue.
OR
Get an adjustable height drawbar and be ready for anything.
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
then get a drawbar based on the height of your truck
Drawbars are usually measured in even inches, which can be confusing to a newbie.
What Bob says will give your trailer a slight nose down to the trailer when hitched (desired). Most vehicles rear drop an inch or two when connected to a trailer.
Have someone stand on your rear bumper when measuring to emulate the tongue weight. Also consider how much gear you might pack into the pickup bed. Then pick a drawbar that fits between the two; i.e. Bob's empty and loaded.

Drawbars are not very expensive, I have a number of them that allow me to easily swap out to tow different trailers.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Member
 
thunter's Avatar
 
Name: Kenneth Mack
Trailer: 2008 16ft Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 67
towing with tacoma

I have a 2005 Tacoma pre runner 2 wheel drive. It will be about your height above ground. What I would do is use what you have for hitch. if you do not now have one buy a2 in drop down. set camper on hitch. Check for level camper tong weight will effect ride height. If you need to change you can go to wallmart and get what you need .My truck has a v6 in it .I tow a 16 ft Scamp On interstate highway get 16 17 miles per gal. 2lane get 17 18 mpg. truck handles camper good I need to look back to see if camper is still there. Have fun camping thanks Kenneth Smith
__________________
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
I've towed with a first gen Tundra and a Frontier. I used the same draw bar to tow a Chalet and a 1300 Trillium. Both trailers had 13" tires. The draw bar is 2" down. Nice find on the 4500. Raz
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Posts: 1,226
I tow my Bigfoot 17CB with an 07 Tacoma extended cab 4X4 with the off road package and was surprised how much the rear of the truck drops when loaded for camping. The load of gear and the toung weight of the trailer drop the back of the truck 3 inches or more. I really like my Tacoma but when Toyota built these trucks they were not thinking of heavy loads. I added "Air Lift" suspension and it is fabulous. Other Tacoma owners have posted similar experiences to mine and also used air bag suspension.
__________________
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Etrailer has a good explanation on how to measure/determine your ball mount drop or lift needs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: garry
Trailer: trillium 4500
British Columbia
Posts: 23
Thanks for your input.Pics in April
__________________
garry g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
SRD
Senior Member
 
Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I tow my Bigfoot 17CB with an 07 Tacoma extended cab 4X4 with the off road package and was surprised how much the rear of the truck drops when loaded for camping. The load of gear and the toung weight of the trailer drop the back of the truck 3 inches or more. I really like my Tacoma but when Toyota built these trucks they were not thinking of heavy loads. I added "Air Lift" suspension and it is fabulous. Other Tacoma owners have posted similar experiences to mine and also used air bag suspension.
Ahhh, I remember the days of towing our 17.5CB with a V6 Tacoma. Loved the truck but a heavy hauler it ain't. Always felt the trailer was leading the dance and any decent load in the box dropped the rear end more than expected. And going up or down any sizable hills was usually a white knuckle experience. But to the Tacoma's credit it got the job done.
__________________
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Ahhh, I remember the days of towing our 17.5CB with a V6 Tacoma. Loved the truck but a heavy hauler it ain't. Always felt the trailer was leading the dance and any decent load in the box dropped the rear end more than expected. And going up or down any sizable hills was usually a white knuckle experience. But to the Tacoma's credit it got the job done.
The only issue I experienced with my Tacoma was the drop in the back end with a heavy load and the trailer attached.. The air bag suspension eliminated that issue. I never had the other issues you have described. I really like the set up I have now that the air bag suspension has been added.
__________________
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
SRD
Senior Member
 
Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
The only issue I experienced with my Tacoma was the drop in the back end with a heavy load and the trailer attached.. The air bag suspension eliminated that issue. I never had the other issues you have described. I really like the set up I have now that the air bag suspension has been added.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Tacoma is a nice truck but there's no denying it's a lightweight truck with all of the lightweight truck characteristics, especially when hauling/towing. Not taking anything away from it but it does have its limitations. How does your rig perform on a 6% grade when towing the Bigfoot?
__________________
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry g View Post
Thanks for your input.Pics in April
You might want to considering coming out to the BC Glass Eggs Fiberglass meet in Fort Langley this spring... a number of long time Trillium owners around to answer any questions you may have on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think the Tacoma is a nice truck but there's no denying it's a lightweight truck with all of the lightweight truck characteristics, especially when hauling/towing. Not taking anything away from it but it does have its limitations. How does your rig perform on a 6% grade when towing the Bigfoot?
Again, the only issue I've had with the Tacoma was the soft rear suspension and that issue was taken care of with the suspension upgrade. I have the longer wheelbase 4X4 and while it's rated to tow 6500#, I am just over half that figure. The Bigfoot weighs about 3500 # with about 400# on the toung . The Bigfoot has been mine for about 2 years and has been towed about 9000 miles. 6% grades are quite common in this part of the U.S. Most of those miles were in Utah and California with some significant grades especially Utah where I encountered some 12% and 14 % grades. I never felt I was close to loosing control. I did use lots of fuel going uphill and the first time I saw the 14% downgrade I was surprised and cautious but the scenery was fabulous. I'm headed back to Utah this summer and would like to drive the 14% "Hogback" again.
__________________

__________________
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing with Toyota Tacoma (4 cyl) pickup Lizzie Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 37 04-28-2012 11:23 PM
Casita 17' Deluxe and towing with Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger? JaneM. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 47 04-25-2011 01:52 PM
Scamp towing problems with Toyota Tacoma pickup Doris Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 21 11-07-2009 05:58 AM
'02 Tacoma towing Bigfoot B17CB DwayneR Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 16 06-22-2009 02:56 PM
Scamp towing problems with Toyota Tacoma pickup Doris Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.