towing with these anyone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
towing with these anyone?

Is anyone towing with any of these vehicles.....we are looking to replace our voyager this year and maybe get something that pulls a bit easier so any comments are welcome......so....happy with your choice or no?
Ford Flex
Ford freestyle
Kia sorento
Kia sedona

thankyou Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
Is anyone towing with any of these vehicles.....we are looking to replace our voyager this year and maybe get something that pulls a bit easier so any comments are welcome......so....happy with your choice or no?
Ford Flex
Ford freestyle
Kia sorento
Kia sedona

thankyou Bruce

Bruce, take a look at the V6 GMC Terrain!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
Ford Edge

We are towing a Scamp 16 with a 2010 Ford Edge FWD. We are very happy with it. It would have the same engine and transmission as the Flex, but it is not as large.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
If I remember correctly, our returning compatriot Steve L. tows his 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe with a Ford Flex.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Bruce, take a look at the V6 GMC Terrain!
I kinda like the look of a flex...but i know the gmc is nice my friend has one....Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
I looked at the Chevrolet Equinox (same as Terrain), but liked the extra power of the Edge. It has a 3.5L engine vs. 3.0L in Terrain. Both have 6-spd transmission. For us we chose the Edge and are happy with it. - Steve
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Well I have never towed with either of the above but my mechanic has told me many times to stay away from Kia as parts are sometimes hard to come by the old 10 yr rule with the North American brands doesn't seem to a rule here.

Just a thought.....

D
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... We did tow with an '05 Ford Taurus V6 3.0 Ltr Wagon. The only problem was finding stats for it. It had 2000 #'s of cargo cap. but only 1250 #'s of trailer cap. Seemed a bit over on one and short on the other.
Our '02 4.3 Ltr. V6 Sierra PU. had 5800 #'s of tow cap. but was a poor performer on the hills.
Looking forward to trying our new 2010 Nissan Crew Cab 4.0 Ltr. PU. with 6100 #'s of tow cap. and lots more torque!!! It's a real "Go getter".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My dear Alf;
I also have an '05 Taurus wagon and I had planned to tow with it - - - until I saw the low ratings this vehicle has. I can tow to my hearts content, as long as I don't go over 1100 lbs ??? What kind of package is this? I did the research and found the biggest problem is the rear springs on the wagon (these are special springs to maintain a minimum ride - and fit the body). These can be upgraded with aftermarket springs, aftermarket shocks, air ride bags etc., etc., etc.
So I went out and bought an F-150 that has 8000 lbs towing capacity - until I found out the springs on that vehicle are kind of wishie washie. I need to upgrade the springs again and install a solid anti-sway bar on the rear suspension...

I can't win for playing, can I???
If I can find a really good trailer (e.g. a bigfoot fifth wheel, or a nice old Amerigo with lots of room) I will join the ranks of you folks. Now I find out St. Louis is not the hot bed of fiberglass trailers as I had hoped it to be...

STRIKE THREE!!!!

Keep in touch sir as will I.
Mike Hilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mike Hilliard... Your batting average is about... "Like mine"!!! I just hope that with the Nissan Frontier 4X4's 4 leaves+ helpers under neath, I don't have to go to great lengths to add-a-lot.
Our Escape 5.0 has a max. axle cap. of 3500#'s and a pin weight of less than 500#'s and I have been told by other owners towing the same combo that their truck only squats down by an inch with the trailer attached.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #11

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
It is not just about weight, though that is important; the air being pushed is more important for super ultra lights. They even make a WD hitch for super ultra lights rated 350 / 3500 lbs, "Trans coolers" and electric brakes all help. WD systems level the load a requirement in Ontario, unlike extra springs they keep the nice factory ride.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #12

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... We did tow with an '05 Ford Taurus V6 3.0 Ltr Wagon. The only problem was finding stats for it. It had 2000 #'s of cargo cap. but only 1250 #'s of trailer cap. Seemed a bit over on one and short on the other.
Our '02 4.3 Ltr. V6 Sierra PU. had 5800 #'s of tow cap. but was a poor performer on the hills.
Looking forward to trying our new 2010 Nissan Crew Cab 4.0 Ltr. PU. with 6100 #'s of tow cap. and lots more torque!!! It's a real "Go getter".
The Frontier should perform very well. That is an excellent engine.
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #13

Ontario
Registry
Getting a new car. The one Kia comes with an optional class 3 hitch; they had one on the dealer showroom floor with hitch pre installed. It is famous for is towing capacity. We looked at it for our new car but in the end our trailer only weights 2000 lbs. and it was more than we needed.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #14

Name: Rogers
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Registry
We are buying a 17' Casita-2500 lbs. We want to pull it with a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo with towing capacity of 4500 lbs. We are getting a class 3 trailer hitch with brake wiring installed.The engine is a 3.2L V6 with a 4 speed overdrive transmission with an engine rated at 205 hp. It also has winter start and power transmission mode. Will we be able to tow this trailer comfortably, especially up mountains?
R. Wms. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Isuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Wms. View Post
We are buying a 17' Casita-2500 lbs. We want to pull it with a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo with towing capacity of 4500 lbs. We are getting a class 3 trailer hitch with brake wiring installed.The engine is a 3.2L V6 with a 4 speed overdrive transmission with an engine rated at 205 hp. It also has winter start and power transmission mode. Will we be able to tow this trailer comfortably, especially up mountains?
Going up the steepest grades, you may want to shift to 2nd gear and keep the speed down to 30 or 40 mph. But yes, it should get you over the hills.

I would recommend asking an Isuzu dealer whether an auxiliary transmission cooler is recommended. this is cheap insurance against a ruined tranny.

One other thing to keep in mind: once you get the trailer loaded about the way you would want it, check the tongue weight. The 17' Casita Deluxe can be pretty front heavy. With propane and all, I think I've seen numbers around 500 lbs or more, which may make a weight distributing hitch desirable (perhaps necessary).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galazin View Post
One other thing to keep in mind: once you get the trailer loaded about the way you would want it, check the tongue weight. The 17' Casita Deluxe can be pretty front heavy. With propane and all, I think I've seen numbers around 500 lbs or more, which may make a weight distributing hitch desirable (perhaps necessary).
Trailer Weights in the Real World

I agree with Michael. The lightest 17' Casita Tongue weight I ever measured in the linked spreadsheet was 300 pounds and the heaviest Tongue weight was 660 pounds, with the average falling at approximately 440 pounds. However, I believe you'll be OK with a towing capacity of 4500 pounds which indicates to me a tongue capacity of 450 pounds.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Tongue weight depends on proper packing of trailer for weight distribution tongue should rang 10% to 15% of total trailer and load weight. 2500 trailer + 500 cargo 3000 so 300 to 450 lbs range for best ride.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Thanks, Frederick. I find it quite reassuring to have the real-world numbers available from a reliable source.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #19

Name: Mandi
Trailer: In the market
California
That's really a good choice. I am doing that everytime I have car to tow.
eldercaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #20

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
It seems many folk are concerned about towing in the mountains, We tow a 17' Casita with an 05 Odyssey which has a 3500 weight limit. Our annual trip in Apr - June took us from Fl. to about the most southern route there is to Joshua Tree and then to the mountains of Northern Az. Utah, SW Co. NM through the Ozarks then home and I'm talking the scenic routes not Interstates. What we found was that there are so many tourists on the road on both bikes and auto's that are also going through the mountains that your speed get cut from the normal speed limit to 15-25 mph so its really a moot point. If your using interstates than it may be a different story, even then we travel at a max speed of 62 mph. The 3.5 V-6 had all the power needed. If the objective is to get there as fast as possible you not only miss the scenery but your gas mileage suffers terribly. Our eastern trips which we do to make the rounds of our kids take us through the mountains of NC, Va, Pa, NY and New England. we are enjoying the journey
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote