Towing with Town and Country - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the Market for a Scamp
Michigan
Towing with Town and Country

We are looking into used trailers. First we were set on a Scamp 16' Layout 7, but those are proving hard to find. So, now we have been looking into Casita Spirit Standards (usually 17' because they are easier to find) and were wondering if our minivan would be fine towing this. I have searched and found posts about minivan towing, but nothing about the Spirit Standards. Since this model is lighter would it possible to tow with a 2016 Town and Country Minivan. I have 4 small kids and would need to take their gear as well. I was thinking of getting a WDH, with anti sway and a trans cooler. Do you think this is possible? We would use this combo for a few years before upgrading to a full size van. Most trips would be 500 miles or less with most within Michigan.

Thanks
Nick
nam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Hi! You could tow a 16' Casita with that minivan, but most 17'ers are too heavy on the hitch. Have a look at some of these numbers: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Tongue weights of the 17s in practice were almost all greater than your van's 350 lb. hitch weight limit, and some were well over 500 lbs. The front bath's weight and the balance of the 17 create a front-heavy unit. Now, you say you'd look for a Standard (no bath) rather than a Deluxe, and that would work in your favor, but I still doubt whether you'd be happy. If you go look at any, at least take a bathroom scale and some stuff to rig up a way to weight the hitch, and figure that it will be somewhat heavier once you're loaded for camping.

Oh, about the WDH, I'm of the opinion that the weight of that WDH should be added in as hitch weight.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
You may be OK if you have a 6 cylinder engine.
Check your owner's manual for towing capacity.
Depending on the type of rear axle suspension on the T&C you may be able to add booster shocks to help carry the hitch load with less sag.
In any case, find a trailer hitch system the keeps the hitch ball as close as possible to the rear bumper, to reduce weight transfer.
You will likely need a high rise ball mount to keep the trailer level to slightly low in front.
An add on transmission oil cooled may not be needed. You already have one that will suffice if you keep away from high temp climates. Main thing is to get good at downshifting so you don't overload the torque converter on uphill grades. Just keep an eye on your engine temperature gauge.
Good Luck!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The T&C is rated 3500 lbs and all recent vans have the V6 engine.
The van is probably not for the 17' Casita due to heavy tounge weight.
If you find a 16 ' Scamp it is fine.
I use one with my heavy modified 16.
Over 1800 lbs you should use a wdh.
Also be sure you get the towing package from the factory with HD cooling etc and self leveling rear shocks.
The factory hitch would be my choice as you have better ground clearance also.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
By the way when we tow with the 3.6 liter 283 hp V6 T&C I carefully let the transmission shift for itself except down steep grades.
The 3.6 currently is the only V6 in Chrysler van, trucks, or cars.
The T&C has the heavy duty cooling for the engine and transmission.
The oil pressure is controlled by the CPU and increases pressure under load.
The heavy duty trailer towing has the self leveling rear shocks as well.
The Chrysler towing package has a trailer module and the stability system is incorporated in the van.
I have towed through the Smokies with no problems and we are taking it out to Yellowstone this summer.
We chose the Scamp 16 because it had 6+ feet of headroom and we could tow it with our VW TDI.
the 16' Casita does not have the headroom the Scamp does.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote