Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Anytime, I'm glad I could help.
John

Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Our 17' FD Casita stays, even though it is a 1995. My latest thought is a used truck, figuring that the lower price compensates for lower mpg. At ages 65/68, a used truck will get us to our dotage. Bought Tundra with 66K miles for $15K, half of what it would have cost new.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #31

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Contemplating a purchase
California
Do I need a weight distribution hitch to pull a 16 ft trailer with our Toyota? After some research it sounded like it would be best to use one, but when I just spoke with a guy an installation place he said with a smaller trailer we wouldn't need it. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #32

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have towed our 17 foot Casita which is most likely heavier than your 16 footer, assuming it is one of the fiberglass type. We have never used a stabilizer type hitch. It is amazing how rock steady we have been even under extreme wind conditions.

We do have a real adjustable ball setup that insures that the trailer is really level. We were told that not being level was very dangerous.

I am absolutely not an expert and have read good arguments for the stabilizer. It certainly is more simple to hookup without it but if you started with it you would be used to it.

This is our first trailer so I might not be the best judge of what is best.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #33

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
As long as you keep a decent amount of weight (I'd say no less than 150 lbs, but 200+ is better) on the trailer tongue, you should not have a sway (uncontrollable oscillation) problem. However, if you have anxiety about it or if you want to be extra cautious, then go ahead and buy something for sway control. For 16' and 17' trailers I have towed in recent years, I did not use anything and never felt any sway in thousands of miles; they all had tongue weights of 300+ lbs. But I once (long ago) towed a 10' long utility trailer with a negative tongue weight, and it about scared the life out of me when it started sashaying like crazy.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Do I need a weight distribution hitch to pull a 16 ft trailer with our Toyota? After some research it sounded like it would be best to use one, but when I just spoke with a guy an installation place he said with a smaller trailer we wouldn't need it. Thanks!
I've had Toyota PUs for ever.
My only complaint is if you put 3 bags of grocerys in the back it sags.
I have Air Lift air bags on my 07 Tacoma.
I took them off my 05 so they're 7 years old now and are good as new.
I had a 1150 lb overhead camper for my 05 and it kept the camper and my ATV trailer level.
When your not towing you keep about 10 lbs of air in them and it rides great.
Towing my 16" scamp I put about 50 lbs in them and everything was nice and level.
I would imagine you could have them installed for around the same price as a good WDH.
One thing to keep in mind. A sway bar is a band aid used to cover up an underlying problem.
You should be able to tow at allmost any speed with no sway.

John
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #35

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Real World Weights

Fred Simpson did a lot of work on this subject (he weighs trailers) :

Trailer Weights in the Real World

These weights are of trailers actually being used; ours is number 19.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #36

California
Hi - thanks for all the great information, BUT...I was asking specifically about using a weight (load) distribution hitch opposed to a standard hitch, NOT talking about a sway control device.

I have never towed a vehicle before, so here is my understanding of what the load-distributing hitch does (taken from the CA DMV website for towing safety)
"Load-distributing hitches are designed to distribute the hitch weight relatively evenly to all axles of the tow vehicle and trailer. The tow vehicle and trailer should be in a level position (altitude) in order for the hitch to do its job properly." I understand that as long as the tongue wt of the trailer is not too heavy then it should tow evenly.
It just seemed to me, since I would be towing with a small truck (only 4cyc) that the wt-distribution hitch would help to keep the whole travelling a bit safer - is this right?
Thank you
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #37

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Oh, sorry I misunderstood the direction of your concern. Moving some weight to the front (steering) wheels can have some benefit in improved handling, if the tongue weight is relatively high. For a Tacoma pickup towing a 16' trailer, assuming your tongue weight is around 350 lbs. or less, IMO I would not expect it to make much difference. More tongue weight than that, and WD becomes more beneficial.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #38

California
Thanks Mike - That does clarify it. I spoke with another hitch installation place yesterday and he also agreed that if the tongue wt wasn't too high, then the WD hitch would not be necessary. They both agreed that the sway control might be helpful.