Towing with Toyota Tundra - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2003, 06:15 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Towing with Toyota Tundra

Can I tow A 19ft. 5th wheel Scamp with A Toyota Tundra without hitting the back of the cab? I have been told (yes) by A couple of people and (no) by A couple of people so I desided to ask someone who knows. I am sure someone here knows the correct answer. If anyone is useing this setup do you need A extenison on the hookup? Thanks Johnny D. Dorsey

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:33 AM   #2

Towing a Scamp 5er

:wave Hi, John, welcome to the board.

I'm sure someone here knows the answer, but you know what I would do? I would call Scamp. I bet they could give you the definitive answer! 1-800-346-4962

I just love those Scamp 5ers. I don't have one, but if I was going the 5th wheel route, I would definitely look into it!

If we don't find an answer here and you do call Scamp, let us know what you found out, okay?

Old 05-14-2003, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by Johnny D. Dorsey
Can I tow A 19ft. 5th wheel Scamp with A Toyota Tundra without hitting the back of the cab? I have been told (yes) by A couple of people and (no) by A couple of people so I desided to ask someone who knows. I am sure someone here knows the correct answer. If anyone is useing this setup do you need A extenison on the hookup? Also is one 5th. wheel better than another? There is such A big choice it gets confusion as to which one to get. Thank You Johnny D.
:chatter Johnny, Yes you can. We have a 5th wheel deluxe and tow it with our 2000 Toyota Tundra. The gooseneck hitch is mounted directly over the rear axle and the trailer does't even come close to the cab. We can jacknife 90 degrees. You can look at pictures at the url in my sig below.:E :E

:drums In other news...in 8 days we are leaving for a two month RV trip to Alaska. :steerLeaving here (Appleton, WI) on the Thurs. the 22nd. We will be stopping at the Scamp factory in Backus on Fri. the 23rd to pick up an additional cushion for the dinette. Then up to Canada and across to Calgary and up to Jasper. Anyone on the list along our route that would like a visitor just let us know. We promise that we won't overstay our welcome.:feet

Old 05-14-2003, 09:11 AM   #4

Well, If you get lost and wind-up (down?) in Oklahoma, Larry. You can come stay at my place. :lol

Old 05-14-2003, 09:27 AM   #5

Towing with a Tundra

There you go, John. Voice of experience speaking. Glad we caught Larry before he headed out. Yippppeee! Now you can get a scamp 5er!

Larry, boy that sounds like some trip you have coming up. It sounds fabulous.

BTW, Larry, you have some great pictures on your link!

Old 05-15-2003, 06:52 PM   #6

I was going to ask Larry about the interior in his Scamp 5'er.

Gorgeous wood! Looks like Light Maple to me.

Is that an option or is it standard (how it comes from the factory)?

Old 05-15-2003, 07:06 PM   #7

When you see Deluxe in the description of a Scamp, that means it has custom ordered hardwood interiors. Scamp offers birch and oak. At one time they offered maple. I'm not sure if they still do. Larry ordered some of his cabinetry after he purchased the Scamp. He went back to the factory for a retrofit.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/index.cfm?PageID=26

Old 05-15-2003, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Orginally posted by Bill M.
I was going to ask Larry about the interior in his Scamp 5'er.
Gorgeous wood! Looks like Light Maple to me.
Is that an option or is it standard (how it comes from the factory)?
It's birch and Benita is right. The Scamp deluxe has all wood cabinetry.
When we called to order ours they had gotten an order cancellation from the person that had ordered it so rather than wait the requisite 4 months we took it sight unseen and drove up the next day. We were very pleased with it except that it didn't have the bedroom cabinets so we drove the 444 miles back to Backus this spring and had them added.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 AM   #9

Thanks Larry I picked up my 5th wheel scamp 5-20-03 everthing works perfect just like you said.

[quote]Orginally posted by Larry Page

Quote:
Can I tow A 19ft. 5th wheel Scamp with A Toyota Tundra without hitting the back of the cab? I have been told (yes) by A couple of people and (no) by A couple of people so I desided to ask someone who knows. I am sure someone here knows the correct answer. Thanks Johnny D. Dorsey

:chatter Johnny, Yes you can. We have a 5th wheel deluxe and tow it with our 2000 Toyota Tundra. The gooseneck hitch is mounted directly over the rear axle and the trailer does't even come close to the cab. We can jacknife 90 degrees. You can look at pictures at the url in my sig below.:E :E

:drums In other news...in 8 days we are leaving for a two month RV trip to Alaska. :steerLeaving here (Appleton, WI) on the Thurs. the 22nd. We will be stopping at the Scamp factory in Backus on Fri. the 23rd to pick up an additional cushion for the dinette. Then up to Canada and across to Calgary and up to Jasper. Anyone on the list along our route that would like a visitor just let us know. We promise that we won't overstay our welcome.:feet

Old 05-27-2003, 11:16 AM   #10

[quote]Orginally posted by Larry Page

Quote:
Can I tow A 19ft. 5th wheel Scamp with A Toyota Tundra without hitting the back of the cab? I have been told (yes) by A couple of people and (no) by A couple of people so I desided to ask someone who knows. I am sure someone here knows the correct answer. If anyone is useing this setup do you need A extenison on the hookup? Thanks Johnny D. Dorsey

Old 05-27-2003, 11:30 AM   #11

Thanks Larry I picked up my 5th wheel scamp 5-20-03 everthing works perfect just like you said.

Thanks Larry I picked up my 5th wheel deluxe 5-20-03 Everthing works perfect just like you said. It has every option exept an oven. Guess I will get that added later. Already has lift kit added with 14in. tires. Thanks everbody for all the help. Johnny D.