Towing with VW Golf GTI - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #57

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Citing the litigiousness of American society, he notes: “The vehicle is one-third of the towing of equation; one-third is the trailer, and one-third is the hitch. Car makers have no control over two-thirds of the equation, but if something goes wrong, they’re the first to get sued.”
As the guru of hitches Andy knows what he is talking about and the above pretty well says it all and for those who care to disregard it..... well what can you say.

Andy Thomson owns a LARGE dealership serving much of Eastern Canada and North East USA. He installs a LOT of hitches! LOL A very small percentage of what he installs are on vehicles that do not have the tow rating set by the auto manufacture to tow what his company is hitching up. The majority of the hitches he installs are not what I would class as custom - mostly he installs a good equalizer hitch $$$ and he makes sure the set up has the good coupler and correct hitch drop in place for a balanced level load and the hitch itself is well secured.

Many of the Youtube videos and small vehicle hook ups he does for auto & RV shows are for publicity - something he is good at getting and has helped to make a name for himself as the man to go to for an optimum hitch set up. BUT here is the big problem with his publicity stunts..... some people who have NEVER even towed a garden trailer and who are probable going to tell you the best way to stop a swaying trailer is to hit the gas or tap the tug brakes a few times , will attempt to do the same tug/tow combo and they will attempt to do it with nothing more than off the shelf NA class hitch & maybe an anti sway bar - nothing custom or good at all about the set up. Something Andy himself would never do.

Time and time again there are a handful of people here who encourage those who are clearly new to towing to GO FOR it but fail to emphasize that if they are going to do it they are going to HAVE to spend BIG $$$'s to get it set up correctly. I know more than once someone new here has gone to CanAm for a quote and decided after hearing the cost of a custom set up that they are just going to go with their good old Class II or III hitch a see how it goes due to having been overly encouraged by a few folks here

Its worth keeping in mind while encouraging folks to tow with something the auto manufacture does not rate to tow anything in NA with that you and your family are going be sharing the road with those people.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #58

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I don't know his rigs numbers but it was a Volvo S60 sedan and he was towing a good sized Airstream. He always commented on how well his rig performed and as far as I know was never stopped or approached by the authorities. It is good to hear that there are rules and regs to oversee unsafe rigs though.
Its like a lot of things in life - like drunk driving - sometimes you get away with it many many times but then one day your luck runs out.

Besides there are a lot of people who know the locations of the more frequently seen road side check locations and they simple avoid them If you see a bunch of boats or campers or trailers sitting by themselves in a pull out area of a highway you can be sure you just missed one. There a are a couple of frequent hot spots on Vancouver Island as well as in the Interior/Okanagan.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #59
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Many of the Youtube videos and small vehicle hook ups he does for auto & RV shows are for publicity -
Never heard of such a thing. Can you provide examples??

Quote:
I know more than once someone new here has gone to CanAm for a quote and decided after hearing the cost of a custom set up that they are just going to go with their good old Class II or III hitch a see how it goes due to having been overly encouraged by a few folks here
Hummmm... one could say if it goes well a few dollars saved. If it goes south then it's to late to get the optimal, safe setup. Guess you get what you pay for.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #60

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
suspect you have heard of such things happening in the past. Trust me he is not the first company trying to sell something using a vehicle & a larger piece of equipment to get a buyers attention.

Here are a couple of other classic examples of the tactic used by companies to get your attention if the Fiat 500 pulling the much larger Alto (which btw only weighs abt 1700lbs if I am not mistaken) do not do it for you.
Attached Thumbnails
touareg_tdi_tow-5464b4973ad9e.jpg   JjYPl.jpg  

Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #61
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Trust me

LOL
Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #62

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Hummmm... one could say if it goes well a few dollars saved. If it goes south then it's to late to get the optimal, safe setup. Guess you get what you pay for.
Very true and all to often folks are asking about pulling a pretty inexpensive small trailer - often old and well used (because that is what they could afford) with a small tow vehicle (that has no NA tow rating) because they already own it and they want to save money on gas & do not have the funds to changes vehicles. How many of those folks do you think are going to have the funds required to pay CanAm $$$ to have it set up correctly/safely?

I am going to suggest a very small % of them.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #63

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
This is a favorite photo... it's a Beetle TDI pulling a 95 Scamp

Attached Thumbnails
n_a.jpeg  
Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #64

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Forgot to post the link to an example of a YouTube video by CanAm.

Airstream Pulled by Bike - CanAm RV - Youtube
Old 09-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #65

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
too funny! How do I post a picture here?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #66

Name: Jim
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Very true and all to often folks are asking about pulling a pretty inexpensive small trailer - often old and well used (because that is what they could afford) with a small tow vehicle (that has no NA tow rating) because they already own it and they want to save money on gas & do not have the funds to changes vehicles. How many of those folks do you think are going to have the funds required to pay CanAm $$$ to have it set up correctly/safely?

I am going to suggest a very small % of them.
Hey Carol -- out of curiosity do you have an idea what one of these solid tow setups actually costs?

For my part, while I certainly don't wish to waste money, it's not necessarily the limiting factor per se. I could certainly trade in my GTI and get a Tiguan or something similar -- it's more a matter of, the 95% of driving when I'm not towing, I'd rather drive the GTI. Better performance, better mileage, more fun to drive, etc. I never thought about a trailer until I saw the Scamp 13, and it actually seemed a possibility at least, however remote :P.

If I lived in a single family home, I'd consider getting a used SUV for camping and going back to 2 vehicles. As it is, I live in a condo with one assigned parking, so it's not a very good option.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #67
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
Hey Carol -- out of curiosity do you have an idea what one of these solid tow setups actually costs?

I have one of those solid tow setups and the cost was reasonable. The custom heavy duty receiver would be just a pinch more than the Euro VW receiver that was posted earlier. Of course if you go with a WDH they run a few hundred dollars but a substantial upgrade over a simple on the ball mount.

In the end the pro set up is a very small percentage of cost when you consider the total value of TV, trailer, family, and other folks driving the highways that appreciate the highly rated safety component of that optimal set up.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:39 AM   #68
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Forgot to post the link to an example of a YouTube video by CanAm.

Airstream Pulled by Bike - CanAm RV - Youtube

It's easy to see how a smallish, 4cyl vehicle can tow a lightweight trailer. Thnxs for posting.

[QUOTE=Sheryl M;550277]This is a favorite photo... it's a Beetle TDI pulling a 95 Scamp

Sheryl, we have one in our neighborhood as well.
Attached Thumbnails
VW trailer.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #69

Name: Jim
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
I have one of those solid tow setups and the cost was reasonable. The custom heavy duty receiver would be just a pinch more than the Euro VW receiver that was posted earlier. Of course if you go with a WDH they run a few hundred dollars but a substantial upgrade over a simple on the ball mount.

In the end the pro set up is a very small percentage of cost when you consider the total value of TV, trailer, family, and other folks driving the highways that appreciate the highly rated safety component of that optimal set up.
Yeah that sounds quite reasonable. The problem for me is more the long trek to Can-Am than the cost. San Francisco and Ontario aren't exactly close! :P

I'll chat with them though -- I'd love to give them the biz if I decide to do this, but maybe they could recommend someone closer given the distances involved.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #70
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
Yeah that sounds quite reasonable. The problem for me is more the long trek to Can-Am than the cost. San Francisco and Ontario aren't exactly close! :P

I'll chat with them though -- I'd love to give them the biz if I decide to do this, but maybe they could recommend someone closer given the distances involved.
Thinking if you connect they will give you enough technical instructional tips to get the work done locally to you. I have read about cases like that in the past.

Good luck and keep us up to speed on your progress.