Towing with VW Golf GTI - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #71
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here are a couple of other classic examples of the tactic used by companies to get your attention
What impressed me about the T-Reg towing the Jumbo was that not only did it tow the 220,000lb plane for traction it had 4 tons of ballast in the back seat of the T-reg and nothing broke. Those are one overbuilt vehicles that will make a great TV.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #72

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The several comments made on this site put those "Pro" hitches in the $3000 range. But, if a customer can afford a new Airstream, and has a high end TV they want to use, that's chump change. Someone must have gotten the "Friends and Family discount", eh

And good luck getting any reputable hitch fabricator to build a hitch that is intended to exceed manufacturers towing specifications. No dummies they, their shops liability insurance is already high enough without adding someone else's design ideas to their liability load, especially in the lower 48 Provinces and, apparently, British Columbia as well.

In as much as the O.P.s question is about towing with his VW, let's stick with that and put away all this Youtube stuff with bicycles towing 747's or whatever, it's not relevant in any manner to his needs.

BTW: Toyota paid big bucks to do that publicity stunt with the space shuttle and it was done on a "Closed Set". As was the others, it was nothing more, nothing less then a publicity stunt to pull the shuttle across a 300' long bridge.

I'd stick with getting a commitment, in writing, out of VW, and going from there.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #73
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The several comments made on this site put those "Pro" hitches in the $3000 range.
For 3K you get the gold plated model......

For the run of the mill model like mine it was $525. and worth twice it's weight in gold!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #74

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
What impressed me about the T-Reg towing the Jumbo was that not only did it tow the 220,000lb plane for traction it had 4 tons of ballast in the back seat of the T-reg and nothing broke. Those are one overbuilt vehicles that will make a great TV.
Yup totally agree the VW Touareg is an impressive little vehicle! Which reminds me that I need to go buy my Loto Max ticket!

But it sure leaves one questioning the validity of the suggestion by a certain Prop Hitch installer that VW is so scared of being sued in North America they have not put any tow spec of any kind on some of their other vehicles......especially head scratching considering not only did they put a NA tow spec on the Touareg they have put a whopping 7700lb tow spec on it! Which btw is a higher tow spec than some popular mid sized trucks. It is also not a vehicle that they sell in Mass numbers due to its cost, so it kind of blows that theory out the window as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #75

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
For 3K you get the gold plated model......

For the run of the mill model like mine it was $525. and worth twice it's weight in gold!
Must have been the Friends and Family sale on the day you had yours done

See Post # 42 in the thread Best Place to get a hitch installed. Quote is for a 2013 Subaru Outback.

"So I called Can Am this morning having pretty much decided to take the drive to London.
Well it turns out the hitch installation will cost me almost as much as I paid for my '75 Trillium.
So here's the scoop

1 - 2" Class 3 equalizing hitch system, installed
1 - 7 pin connector with brake control, installed
1 - Transmission cooler (apparently I need it)

Total Damage....wait for it.....$2,254."

What gave be the biggest chuckle about the above is that the Subaru Outbacks come with an oversized transmission cooler out of the factory and the manual does not recommend the use of an equalizer hitch.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #76

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
The answer to this really depends on the year of your Golf, and it's transmission. If it's a manual then you're fine, but you might not be with the DSG/auto.

That's the case for my TDI Sportwagen, the manual tranny can tow 2k w/ 200lb tongue weight, VW says the DSG cannot tow anything (however that is not the case in Europe, where you also get higher tow limits). I have a manual, so I can tow without worry that VW will void my warranty down the line just for having a hitch and trailer wiring on my car (vs not having the wiring, as one wouldn't for mounting something like a bike rack to the hitch receiver). So just having tow information in the manual doesn't mean much - because it might not apply to your car specifically.

I second the suggestion to go head over to TDIclub even though you don't have a diesel and ask questions there, or even VWVortex. I got answers to all of my towing and related suspension questions by reading threads at both of those forums, and I'm almost ready to swap out some stuff to lift my rear a couple of inches to eliminate sag (sag that I was already getting with rear passengers + stuff in the cargo area, never mind adding the tongue weight of a trailer)
Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #77

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The post on the failure of the Jetta hitch mounts is typical of the US made mounts for VWs.
BTW, I just wanted to throw this out there for other VW owners out there, because the curt/reese that mounts to the body panel (heck no) isn't the only option other than the westfalia hitch. I have a torklift central ecohitch on my sportwagen and I'm VERY happy with it.

I also like the ecohitch because you can get it with a normal 2" receiver, I'm not locked into whatever height the euro/wesfalia style is stuck at (and I DO need different ball mounts for my utility trailer and my scamp - they need different heights to tow close to level), and the receiver itself is higher off the ground than the curt/reese hitches so there's less chance of scraping.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #78
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
a normal 2" receiver,
I like the conventional 2" receiver as well. It allows for so many varied options accepting a multitude of slip in ball mounts, bolt on sway control, and WDH formats if required. From there you can choose a WDH good from 250lb tongue weights to 1,000+ if required.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #79

California
Quote: "So just having tow information in the manual doesn't mean much - because it might not apply to your car specifically."

Hopefully the information in the Owners Manual supplied with the vehicle, applies to the to the vehicle with which it was shipped. Do you know of any specific exceptions as it pertains to towing? That would be very useful information.

My experience with vehicle owners sites, including the TDI site, is that they tend to focus on, in their opinions, what one "Can" do, rather than facts about one "Should" do.

The common answer, when conflicting with manufacturers specifications, seems to be "I did XXX for 7000 miles, so therefore its correct and safe". (Not that we don't see that on fiberglass.com as well).

That said, on specific owners sites, it's easier to find the answers one wants to find, whereas on towing related sites such as this one, one often gets answers that they don't want.....
Old 09-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #80

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
BTW, I just wanted to throw this out there for other VW owners out there, because the curt/reese that mounts to the body panel (heck no) isn't the only option other than the westfalia hitch. I have a torklift central ecohitch on my sportwagen and I'm VERY happy with it.

I also like the ecohitch because you can get it with a normal 2" receiver, I'm not locked into whatever height the euro/wesfalia style is stuck at (and I DO need different ball mounts for my utility trailer and my scamp - they need different heights to tow close to level), and the receiver itself is higher off the ground than the curt/reese hitches so there's less chance of scraping.
Unfortunately since the Torklift merely bolts into the four bolts that hole the bumper bar on and not into the factory designed mounting points it also is much weaker then the properly designed Euro hitch of any manufacturer.
The Euro regulations require that the hitch be mounted at the points called out by the manufacturer which is inside the side rails on either side of the trunk. It would have not been hard to add the rails that go into the structure of the car when they designed their hitch.
The torklift will mot meet the limits specified by the manufacturer for this reason.
I do wish that the euro hitches had the 2" receiver, however. At one time Bosal did make a removable receiver hitch and I wish I had one.

I have thought about doing this:

The problem with this is it moves the ball further away from the axle centerline and that is not a good thing.

Here is a modified non removable hitch made from a standard Bosal hitch

This shows the substantial cross bar and heavy steel mounting. This would be a good compromise and keeps the ball closer to the car.
The Euro specifications all for a fairly precise location of the ball in relation the the ground and the car and they all call out a maximum and minimum height and spacing from the car. The trailer specifications match up with this so adjustable mounts are not required for their setups.
Unfortunately they have no small electrical brake setups, but the larger rigs not only have electrical brakes electronics, but ABS and anti-sway electronics that coordinate with the tow vehicles braking system as well.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #81

California
The above post further points to how carefully the European marketplace controls exactly how trailers and hitches are built and used. If those in the US wanted to succumb to those same kinds of limitations, I am sure that higher towing limits could be the result.

Any volunteers with American TV's interested in that level of control ???
I didn't think so....
Old 09-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #82

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Unfortunately since the Torklift merely bolts into the four bolts that hole the bumper bar on and not into the factory designed mounting points it also is much weaker then the properly designed Euro hitch of any manufacturer.
Um, have you installed one? I'm guessing no, or you wouldn't say this. It is absolutely not held in place by "just" the bumper bolts.. it definitely goes into the sides of the frame and bolts do go in from factory mounting points the sides.

I"m glad you're such an expert on a product you neither own nor have any practical experience with

I am quite comfortable towing with my torklift hitch, and I believe it to be a MUCH better option than the curt hitch - but I don't ever plan on towing over 2000lbs. Even with the westfalia hitch I just wouldn't be comfortable doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hopefully the information in the Owners Manual supplied with the vehicle, applies to the to the vehicle with which it was shipped. Do you know of any specific exceptions as it pertains to towing? That would be very useful information.
There isn't a separate manual for my model car for those with a standard transmission vs the DSG (auto)... it is the same manual handed out for each.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #83
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
There isn't a separate manual for my model car for those with a standard transmission vs the DSG (auto)... it is the same manual handed out for each.
I've seen the same thing. Towing info in manuals in many cases is just a "rubber stamp affair" of general information. Towing today has developed into a fine art and no way do the manuals come close to touching on all of the technical variables that come into play when trying to evaluate or set up a said tv/trailer.

Ideally one should use all available qualified resources to get the best advice when contemplating a TV/trailer combo.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #84

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
It's easy to see how a smallish, 4cyl vehicle can tow a lightweight trailer. Thnxs for posting.
(re: video of couple towing Airstream with tandem bicycle)

That just be one HELLUVA WDH.

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote