Towing with VW Golf GTI - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #101

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
(Clip) "VW in Tennessee cheated, not a good thing- but pollution-wise they would still be much better than all the overkill fuelguzzlers common here."

NOT, NOT and NOT

The entire blame for VWs, not so little, scam can be traced to nowhere but Wolfsburg.

When the TN plant opened in 2011, the emissions scam had already started with the 2009 model.

The TN plant assembles about 150,000 vehicles a year. In 4.5 years, that's less than 700,000 vehicles assembled for worldwide sales. But there are about 11 million vehicles included in the scam.

There is nothing whatsoever to suggest that a VW diesel, with the emissions controls basically turned OFF, puts out less emissions per mile than a properly tuned larger vehicle, that's just VW's owners wishes..... Beside which, diesel emissions are somewhat different than those in gasoline vehicles.

Volkwagen AG corporate has admitted guilt, and owns this issue 100%
There is no evidence yet made public that the plant in TN was even aware of the scam being perpetrated with the vehicles they were assembling.

This scam has nothing whatsoever to do with the TN assy plant, it is from a much higher level in VW.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #102

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Pricey to be sure, but no more so than my 2015 F150 Lariat - and similar towing capacity, with great fuel economy. Really hard to beat a Touareg as a tow vehicle, provided you have the means.
In Canada:
MSRP VW Touareg base models starts at C$59,975 up to C$68,575
MSRP Ford F150 base models start at C$23,728 up to C$55,205.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #103
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Isn't this about the 27th time we have seen this publicity stunts youtube? Lets at least try to talk about FGRV related topics.
Ok dar buddy.. Lets talk VW's towing glass eggs and not towing 747's! Got it!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #104

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Speaking of bumpers and attachment points; drove past a Lexus that was parallel parked on a major street here today. The entire rear "bumper" was laying on the ground, kind of hanging from the car. There didn't appear to be any other damage ( like would occur if it had been rear-ended ).
Oddly, the parking space behind it was open.
I saw the same thing!! What ever hit it hit it hard!! Had to be more than a 5mph hit for sure!

BUT when I saw it there was a small car parked behind it that had no damage to the front end of it.

Suspect who ever hit it took off while the owner was shopping - or the owner backed hard into someone while parking and what it hit had already left either on its own or on the back of a tow truck.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #105

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Towing with VW Golf GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
In Canada:

MSRP VW Touareg base models starts at C$59,975 up to C$68,575

MSRP Ford F150 base models start at C$23,728 up to C$55,205.

Good point Carol. Wasn't considering Canadian prices with that comment. A well equipped Touareg in the states would run about 45k, while my F150 Lariat Super Crew short bed 2wd was 49k total - so at least in the U.S., the Touareg compared to my truck was slightly cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #106

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Good point Carol. Wasn't considering Canadian prices with that comment. A well equipped Touareg in the states would run about 45k, while my F150 Lariat Super Crew short bed 2wd was 49k total - so at least in the U.S., the Touareg compared to my truck was slightly cheaper.

Even at $4K more , I would still pick your Ford truck any day.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #107
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Even at $4K more , I would still pick your Ford truck any day.
Apples to Oranges. No doubt the T-Reg has the engineering, fine details, and towing prowess but if you need a pick up to carry a cord of wood or stuff the F150 is the way to go.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #108

Arkansas
Registry
I'd take my truck too, for a variety of reasons. Still, VW has one fine tow vehicle there.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #109

But a pick-up is always a pick-up. I solved the carry=stuff problem when I sold my Sonoma and bought a Blazer by adding a $600 utility trailer to my collection. It carries more than the Sonoma and can sit around 1/2 full when not being used.

In Europe pick-up are seldom seen, but utility trailers are very common, even the local equivalent of Home Depot sells them.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #110

Arkansas
Registry
True enough Bob. I'm in Manchester UK this week, and although there aren't many pickups, there are a few smaller ones. I would say the lack of pickups here has less to do with practicality than it does with size. Every vehicle is smaller. A full sized car is a rare thing in the parking lots here. Of course, the going rate for petrol of £1.119 per liter has a lot to do with that, as well as the narrow streets.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #111

Also, pick-up are usually a second or third car in the USA, in Europe even two car families are rare.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #112

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
But a pick-up is always a pick-up. I solved the carry=stuff problem when I sold my Sonoma and bought a Blazer by adding a $600 utility trailer to my collection. It carries more than the Sonoma and can sit around 1/2 full when not being used.

In Europe pick-up are seldom seen, but utility trailers are very common, even the local equivalent of Home Depot sells them.
And a Blazer is always a Blazer !!
Old 09-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #113

Ya, but it's a lot more than pick-up when it has lots of inside space for stuff or passengers, has almost 3X the towing capacity and drives almost exactly the same.
And for coolness, a 2dr Blazer is hard to beat. I get almost as much attention for my Blazer as my Hunter

Old 09-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #114

Ooops, accidental duplicate

Old 09-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #115

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Ya, but it's a lot more than pick-up when it has lots of inside space for stuff or passengers, has almost 3X the towing capacity and drives almost exactly the same.
And for coolness, a 2dr Blazer is hard to beat. I get almost as much attention for my Blazer as my Hunter
I have a 4 door quad cab and have room for 5 passengers or all the stuff I wish to haul.
My truck is rated to haul 10,250 lbs so I doubt your Blazer can haul 3 times as much
(30 ,750 lbs) This back and forth is STUPID. You drive what you want and I will do the same !!
The only one I have to explain my choices to is my wife and she likes my truck.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #116

Actually, I was drawing a comparison to my prior TV, a same year Sonoma 4 cylinder Pick-up/