Towing with VW Jetta TDI - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
We are on our second VW Tdi.. First was the 1.9 Jetta 4dr and now the Sportswagon. The recommended tow rating in the newer one (2013) is not to tow but if you do not to exceed 1000 pounds. We tow a teardrop trailer which sits behind it quite well. Mileage dropped from 60 mpg Cdn to 45 and that's a 500 pound trailer, 2 people and gear. We were never tempted to hitch up the 13 Scamp, well not tempted enough anyway. Aerodynamic shape of the trailer is not going to help much with the size of your trailer vs the low profile VW - one big parachute behind.
To the best of my knowledge VW Canada does not sell a VW brand trailer hitch or offer it is an option. Your dealer will no doubt install one for you and it is a good option due to the fun of the wiring harness however no matter where you get it installed be prepared for sticker shock at the quote. You are not going to see a $300 installed out the door quote.

Long ramblings answer to say I wouldn't do it with a Jetta, Golf, Passat etc. A Tiguan or Toureg only.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #16

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
OP's Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As oft discussed and dismissed hereabouts, there are a very few hitch fabricators out there that consider themselves smarter than all of the auto manufacturers engineers and accident chasing lawyers in the world.

As mentioned, this is an oft discussed suggestion, with all of 3 or 4 supporters, and one will find little support on this site in doing such antics as towing a 4500 lb Airstream with a vehicle designed to tow 2000 lbs or less.

Often those that do support this belief, resort to PM's to the O.P. to bypass criticism of what is thought to be a really bad idea.

As has been suggested before, talk to your insurance company and your lawyer before even thinking about venturing in that direction.

What others do doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.
Bob :The OP's original post is "CAN" I tow with a VW TDI not "SHOULD" I tow with a VW TDI . IMHO .They are 2 different questions , I "CAN" tow my 17 ft Casita with a small 4 wheeler , "SHOULD" I is a totally different answer. I would never attempt to tow anything that is that close or possibly over my TV's tow rating but we each have our own set of values . As you have pointed out many times , In Europe you can tow anything with anything and the vehicle's owners manual is only there to take up space in the glove compartment .

Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Me thinks that Steve is being somewhat tongue in cheek about towing in Europe, where weight limits, towing speeds and even trailer hitches themselves are much more closely regulated & monitored than in the U.S. and Canada.

In most of Europe only government approved hitches are allowed and just fabricating a trailer hitch is prohibited.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Raz,

Thanks for your comment about VW reliability. It is a concern for us. Our CRV with it's many flawless miles (225,000) has spoiled us I'm sure. It's been a great tow vehicle. With that said, we do need a reliable car because our Honda is our only vehicle and anything that needs repairs becomes a pain rather quickly, particularly on the road (now happily in Newfoundland).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Last year there was a good show on the tube with David Suzuki and his daughter who traveled across Canada from the East to West coast. David being an environmentalist chose the Golf TDI as a TV for its very low fuel consumption.

He also wanted an aerodynamic trailer that would also improve the fuel usage factor so he located Can AM in Ontario to put together a rig for him. Since Can AM had lots of experience with this kind of rig they felt it would work great for him, as it did.

Guess the big CBS corporate lawyers didn't see a problem with it. They were off without a hitch.......LOL...... did I say that!
Attached Thumbnails
vw golf 005.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wayne,

What fuel consumption did he get?

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #21

California
That's called "Risk Management". Couldn't very well put their talent in a Surburban could they?

If I had deep pockets like CBS, I'd be less worried as well. But that's not to say that their lawyers were already experts on the issues either.

If CBS wants to put their money and legal team behind others, more power to them, until something happens.....

As someone once said; "Successfully doing the wrong thing, doesn't make it right"
Old 05-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
It's not CBS. It is CBC ( Canadian Broadcasting Corporation ). Program is Nature of Things, hosted by David Suzuki. Somehow they were able to find campsites downtown in major cities, on the river or lake, surrounded by grass. And you really think they towed that thing across Canada? Probably put both the tow and trailer on a flatbed.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
The correct network is CBC which most assuredly no longer has deep pockets.
The show aired in 2012 and it was the Canam Jetta towing an Airstream Bambi.
David Suzuki Future Cities series on The Nature of Things. You should be able to search and find the episode.
I haven't seen the show in question.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Don't you just love it when these old threads (and old passions) get revived?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #25

California
I thought that is was supposed to be CBC as well, but what do we know down here.
I didn't think that the image was of a Bambi, but Airstream seems to be getting very frisky with what it puts the Bambi name on.

BTW: I'm with Glen and his theory, ya can't risk your talent like that.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #26
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And you really think they towed that thing across Canada? Probably put both the tow and trailer on a flatbed.
Sure they made the trip. No problem. In fact the golf used more fuel than he thought. On the way back to the east cost they used "no" fossil fuel what so ever.
Attached Thumbnails
david suzuki airstream.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #27

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Don't you just love it when these old threads (and old passions) get revived?
Yep, that's the price we have to pay every time a newbie jumps 1n with the same question. On some sites there are places to store write-ups on specific topics that can easily be indexed and/or searched. Such a feature would reduce a lot of the repeated threads.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #28
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Wayne,What fuel consumption did he get? Norm
Norm, I did see the show but sorry I can't recall. There was a blurb about a similar trip where a Jetta TDI was used and it got 28 to 32 MPG towing an Airstream.
The story is here......
Attached Thumbnails
jetta tail dragon.jpg