Towing with VW Jetta TDI - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's called "Risk Management". Couldn't very well put their talent in a Surburban could they?

If I had deep pockets like CBS, I'd be less worried as well. But that's not to say that their lawyers were already experts on the issues either.

If CBS wants to put their money and legal team behind others, more power to them, until something happens.....

As someone once said; "Successfully doing the wrong thing, doesn't make it right"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's not CBS. It is CBC ( Canadian Broadcasting Corporation ). Program is Nature of Things, hosted by David Suzuki. Somehow they were able to find campsites downtown in major cities, on the river or lake, surrounded by grass. And you really think they towed that thing across Canada? Probably put both the tow and trailer on a flatbed.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
The correct network is CBC which most assuredly no longer has deep pockets.
The show aired in 2012 and it was the Canam Jetta towing an Airstream Bambi.
David Suzuki Future Cities series on The Nature of Things. You should be able to search and find the episode.
I haven't seen the show in question.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Don't you just love it when these old threads (and old passions) get revived?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #25

I thought that is was supposed to be CBC as well, but what do we know down here.
I didn't think that the image was of a Bambi, but Airstream seems to be getting very frisky with what it puts the Bambi name on.

BTW: I'm with Glen and his theory, ya can't risk your talent like that.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #26
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And you really think they towed that thing across Canada? Probably put both the tow and trailer on a flatbed.
Sure they made the trip. No problem. In fact the golf used more fuel than he thought. On the way back to the east cost they used "no" fossil fuel what so ever.
Attached Thumbnails
david suzuki airstream.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Don't you just love it when these old threads (and old passions) get revived?
Yep, that's the price we have to pay every time a newbie jumps 1n with the same question. On some sites there are places to store write-ups on specific topics that can easily be indexed and/or searched. Such a feature would reduce a lot of the repeated threads.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Wayne,What fuel consumption did he get? Norm
Norm, I did see the show but sorry I can't recall. There was a blurb about a similar trip where a Jetta TDI was used and it got 28 to 32 MPG towing an Airstream.
The story is here......
Attached Thumbnails
jetta tail dragon.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The majority of posts are repeats, true for answers as well.

That is a good sign, it means new members and new people interested in Fiberglass trailers seeking knowledge.

Encouraging questions is important for all.

Wayne thanks for the article. For me the thread though a repeat in part contains new information.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #30
MC1

Ontario
For sure. Newbies are entering the fray on a regular basis and proven, quality info can be of great value.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #31

Name: Leo
Trailer: Scamp 13 ,Front room Layout 2
California
TDI towing with DSG

I am not warning but encouraging owner to learned how to drive DSG transmission because it is not just shifting to D andforgetaboutit. The potential of driving your TV with TT safely and smothly is so instant as if your TT knows your next move e.g. downhill without safely applying brake from your D, flick the shift with your pinky to manual and downshift it will shift to the next lower gear w/o gear thug or jerk to the TT as well as TV. the transition is so smoth that you feel your next move and are under control at which time your brake is in reserved mode and is in the cooler side. You never burned your brake rotor this way. Another example of DSG sports mode ,two finger shift, freeway entrance plus VW turbo .
You can place yourself in your intended lane in a bliss with your TT.
Snowberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #32

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Golf TDI, Diesel, and standard. What's not to like? I might get the service manual and see if I think I could change the timing belt. Never had a diesel before. I am assuming that the fuel system is a littel bit different.

Might make a good daily driver as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #33

Name: Leo
Trailer: Scamp 13 ,Front room Layout 2
California
With all due respect sir, Very True, all or many posts are repeat. You know why? The answer that were given are very open ended and not decisive. It is just going to war giving your one soldier a rifle and other soldier the ammo. Roger that over and out.
Snowberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowberry View Post
With all due respect sir, Very True, all or many posts are repeat. You know why? The answer that were given are very open ended and not decisive. It is just going to war giving your one soldier a rifle and other soldier the ammo. Roger that over and out.
Huh??? I don't understand the analogy.....

Actually I vote for repeated threads being due to new members joining in with those burning question(s) for which they seek answers.

With as many opinions that are available, it's seems "Decisive" answers would suggest a unanimous agreement, something that, fortunately, is not oft found hereabouts.

Again, this is an "Opinion Mill".

Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #35
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowberry View Post
You can place yourself in your intended lane in a bliss with your TT.
I would agree. There are a number of Golf owners here and on the Airforms.com that are towing with Golfs. Edmund's review states....
"Outstanding cabin materials and construction; fuel-efficient diesel engine; spacious hatchback body style; refined driving dynamics."

I have owned and/or driven a number of German cars. They have a very solid feel and drive/handle so well. All goodness when it comes to being used as a tow vehicle.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #36

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Never had a diesel before. I am assuming that the fuel system is a littel bit different.
But not as different as the ignition system....

And on the subject of towing and Europe, what Can-Am do would be illegal here - I make no comment on whether what they do is good or bad, just that this sort of freedom to do what you want does not exist in Europe.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #37
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post

And on the subject of towing and Europe, what Can-Am do would be illegal here - I make no comment on whether what they do is good or bad, just that this sort of freedom to do what you want does not exist in Europe.
For sure.... WDH's are not sold in Europe.

The technology with regards to towing is much more advanced on this side of the pond. Here the use of a WDH has been turned into a fine art as well as the use of electric and electric disc brakes. Off shore towing technology is very basic has and has a lot of catching up to do. FYI Can Am has a world wide reputation for putting safety as a priority.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #38

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post

It seems to me that Canada is both less litigious, and less regulated then most places. Canadians are not typically very nationalistic, well at least not in a bragging kind of way, but I think the above statement is made possible by the character of Canadians as a whole. We are, in my opinion, less confrontational and more practical then most cultures. So, when someone does something out side the box, it is tolerated as long as no one gets hurt. When someone does inevitably get hurt, we all learn something, and move on.

I suspect that Can-Am represents years of the distillation of that learning process. I love the fact that we are still allowed, maybe even encouraged, to think outside the box. I am a Canadian patriot. We exist in large numbers, but we typically don't make a bid deal of it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
With the Original Poster in mind, it seems that Can AM has done the most TDI towing, successfully towing trailers larger than the original poster's trailer. To me that makes Can Am a good potential source of information.

As to Can Am, I appreciate their articles and videos, there seems to be too few sources for information on tow vehicles. I always find info I can't find anywhere else in NA.

In Europe they compare vehicles as tow vehicles, selecting the best each year. Comparing them by manufacturer's specs and functional test.

There's much information available, sometimes hard to find.

To the Original Poster there is also information to be had by searching the Internet, definitely the magic of the age.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #40

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Towing with VW Jetta TDI

So I finally remembered this thread and the other thread at the same to post over something I found.

Here's the video review of the car;

And I'll update with a link to the discussion thread in a moment (BTW a lot of people there also had towing concerns)

Jason

Edit; http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=333675

Sent from my iPhone
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote