Towing with VW Jetta TDI - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #1

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Towing with VW Jetta TDI

I have a Trillium 1300, weigh around 1600 lbs when loaded. Can a 2009 VW Jetta diesel tow this?

Thanks
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Your manual for the car should tell you what the car is rated to safely tow.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks Carol, the manuel says 1700lbs. I guess what I'm looking for is real life experience, does anyone tow with a Jetta? And how does it tow?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I suspect you are looking for justification to exceed the maximum tow limit. Won't get it from me.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #5

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
Don't forget to check for max tongue weight in the manual too! It can be the more limiting factor than tow limit for some vehicles.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I suspect you are looking for justification to exceed the maximum tow limit. Won't get it from me.
He has a 1700 pound tow rating and a 1600 pound trailer. What is the problem?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #7

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I didn't ask you.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Some Canadian 2009 TDI owners apparently received an owner's manual supplement lowering the towing capacity to 1000 lbs. I'm not clear if this applied only to the DSG transmission or the manual one as well.

A brief discussion on the TDICLUB forum appears here...2009 TDI Towing Capacity - TDIClub Forums
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
There has been some debate as early owners' manuals stated no towing with a DSG. But since then that recommendation has changed to allow towing.

Either transmission still will require brakes for your trailer. I believe VW still limits you to 1000lbs without brakes.

I have a 2005 Golf (same basic chassis) that says 1000lbs unbraked and 2000lbs with brakes. IMHO my car easily handles an EggCamper very well. I second GPJ and head over to TDIclub.com where this model has been discussed in great detail.

Just went out and re-read my owner's manual - main warning in there is not to interfere with the 5mph bumper. Guess what the factory hitch replaces. Yup, the 5mph bumper.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #10

Name: Leo
Trailer: Scamp 13 ,Front room Layout 2
California
Smile VW jetta tdi towing Scamp 13

This much I can tell you, I towed Scamp 13 2014 Fully loaded from Backus to Southern CA with VW 2010 Jetta TDI, DSG Sportswagen. VW tow this Scamp smooth and without hesitation. DSG performed superb and fun to drive if you know how to drive it.
Snowberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that questioning the motive is valid because the OP is "Guessing" his trailers weight, and we often are only fooling ourselves at that....

And several suggesting that they have...the same car... should also be ignored. Check with VW of Canada and get the final scoop on towing limits. If the factory issued a supplement that lowered towing ratings it was, no doubt, for a good reason.

And, what someone did (Post #10) has no bearing on what should be done, especially with the warning "If you know how to drive it" included.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
TDI towing

On last year's trip to Canada we met a couple towing an Alto with a VW TDI. They had their VW set up at Can AM RV. Their experience to that point was positive with good mileage and gobs of low end torque.

Can-AM has used a couple of TDIs to tow Airstreams with great success and have published a string of videos, articles and comments particularly on the Airstream forum.

They are successfully towing trailers heavier than your trailer with no issues. I also believe the Alto is heavier than your trailer as well.

Personally I have no actual experience with the VW TDI series, however I am considering the TDI to replace our Honda CRV to tow our Scamp 16, 2400 pounds plus 200 on the ball.

If I were considering a VW I would definitely look at the experience of Can-AM RV. I have read every article from them I can find. The words and experience of Can-Am's Andy Thompson are worthy of any RVer's time and consideration.

If you Google VW Towing you'll find more information then is available here.

Wishing you well,

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

As oft discussed and dismissed hereabouts, there are a very few hitch fabricators out there that consider themselves smarter than all of the auto manufacturers engineers and accident chasing lawyers in the world.

As mentioned, this is an oft discussed suggestion, with all of 3 or 4 supporters, and one will find little support on this site in doing such antics as towing a 4500 lb Airstream with a vehicle designed to tow 2000 lbs or less.

Often those that do support this belief, resort to PM's to the O.P. to bypass criticism of what is thought to be a really bad idea.

As has been suggested before, talk to your insurance company and your lawyer before even thinking about venturing in that direction.

What others do doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Personally I have no actual experience with the VW TDI series, however I am considering the TDI to replace our Honda CRV to tow our Scamp 16, 2400 pounds plus 200 on the ball.

Norm
I looked at the diesel sportswagen. VW's reliability wasn't impressive compared to the Japanese vehicles but the ground clearance at 5.4 inches was the deal breaker. I'd bottom out on the local roads and I'm not sure I would be able to open the rear hatch with my trailer there. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
We are on our second VW Tdi.. First was the 1.9 Jetta 4dr and now the Sportswagon. The recommended tow rating in the newer one (2013) is not to tow but if you do not to exceed 1000 pounds. We tow a teardrop trailer which sits behind it quite well. Mileage dropped from 60 mpg Cdn to 45 and that's a 500 pound trailer, 2 people and gear. We were never tempted to hitch up the 13 Scamp, well not tempted enough anyway. Aerodynamic shape of the trailer is not going to help much with the size of your trailer vs the low profile VW - one big parachute behind.
To the best of my knowledge VW Canada does not sell a VW brand trailer hitch or offer it is an option. Your dealer will no doubt install one for you and it is a good option due to the fun of the wiring harness however no matter where you get it installed be prepared for sticker shock at the quote. You are not going to see a $300 installed out the door quote.

Long ramblings answer to say I wouldn't do it with a Jetta, Golf, Passat etc. A Tiguan or Toureg only.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
OP's Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As oft discussed and dismissed hereabouts, there are a very few hitch fabricators out there that consider themselves smarter than all of the auto manufacturers engineers and accident chasing lawyers in the world.

As mentioned, this is an oft discussed suggestion, with all of 3 or 4 supporters, and one will find little support on this site in doing such antics as towing a 4500 lb Airstream with a vehicle designed to tow 2000 lbs or less.

Often those that do support this belief, resort to PM's to the O.P. to bypass criticism of what is thought to be a really bad idea.

As has been suggested before, talk to your insurance company and your lawyer before even thinking about venturing in that direction.

What others do doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.
Bob :The OP's original post is "CAN" I tow with a VW TDI not "SHOULD" I tow with a VW TDI . IMHO .They are 2 different questions , I "CAN" tow my 17 ft Casita with a small 4 wheeler , "SHOULD" I is a totally different answer. I would never attempt to tow anything that is that close or possibly over my TV's tow rating but we each have our own set of values . As you have pointed out many times , In Europe you can tow anything with anything and the vehicle's owners manual is only there to take up space in the glove compartment .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #17

Me thinks that Steve is being somewhat tongue in cheek about towing in Europe, where weight limits, towing speeds and even trailer hitches themselves are much more closely regulated & monitored than in the U.S. and Canada.

In most of Europe only government approved hitches are allowed and just fabricating a trailer hitch is prohibited.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #18

Florida
Raz,

Thanks for your comment about VW reliability. It is a concern for us. Our CRV with it's many flawless miles (225,000) has spoiled us I'm sure. It's been a great tow vehicle. With that said, we do need a reliable car because our Honda is our only vehicle and anything that needs repairs becomes a pain rather quickly, particularly on the road (now happily in Newfoundland).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Last year there was a good show on the tube with David Suzuki and his daughter who traveled across Canada from the East to West coast. David being an environmentalist chose the Golf TDI as a TV for its very low fuel consumption.

He also wanted an aerodynamic trailer that would also improve the fuel usage factor so he located Can AM in Ontario to put together a rig for him. Since Can AM had lots of experience with this kind of rig they felt it would work great for him, as it did.

Guess the big CBS corporate lawyers didn't see a problem with it. They were off without a hitch.......LOL...... did I say that!
Attached Thumbnails
vw golf 005.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #20

Florida
Wayne,

What fuel consumption did he get?

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16