Toyota Highlander towing capacity? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #15

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
It's all just lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
When I was kid in school, the teacher would lecture us for an hour on a subject and I wouldn't get it. I would ask the kid next to me and he would go, bla! bla! bla!, and I would go Ohhhhh. Carl

Old 05-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #16

Name: Earl J.
Trailer: Shopping
Connecticut
Many Thanks!

Thank you all for allowing me your precious time and thoughts in reply to my amateurish question. Great forum group!

Old 05-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Another consideration is where you plan on towing. My vehicle tows well in the relatively flat terrain of the central US but in the montainous regions of the Western US , it is a different story.
I am not sure that your local Toyota dealer will be able to provide much information beyond parroting what the factory tells them.
Asking for personnal experiences with a particular
vehicle will probably give you an answer closer to the truth .
Car dealers only goal is to sell vehicles and make a profit.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #18

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Another consideration is where you plan on towing. My vehicle tows well in the relatively flat terrain of the central US but in the montainous regions of the Western US , it is a different story.
This is a good point so I wanted to add to what I hastily said above about our Highlander, because I didn't give very much info! It is a V6 AWD, with tow package and currently has 135,000 miles on it. We live in Colorado and last year (our first year with our Scamp) towed almost exclusively in the mountains- the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, the Snowy Range in Wyoming and over, up and down all along Highway 50 through Nevada to Lake Tahoe (there are 17 named passes, some with 8% grade). We drive at around 62 mph when towing the camper, and had zero slow down on the up hill, zero pushing on the down hill.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #19

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
We towed a Snoozy with actual weight of 2850# with a 2007 V6 RAV4 with tow package rated to tow 3500#. Worked fine, plenty of power, never over heated.

A Highlander with V6 and and tow package would do even better as its a little longer wheelbase.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #20

Connecticut
Many Thanks

Thanks to you all for your kind replies. It sounds as though I should have no trouble towing a Snoozy with my 2016 Highlander 4x4 V6.... If I can just find a Snoozy for sale! I haven't heard of a single one here in New England, but I'll keep trying.

Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
An airplane ticket, or at least a long drive, may be part of the price of admission to the Lil Snoozy club. I follow this forum and fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, and I doubt I see a half dozen change hands a year in a whole year.

How about a brand-new one?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #22

Connecticut
How many Snoozies are there anyway?

Jon, I haven't found a Snoozy owner, who will reply to me, any closer than Washington, D. C. I suppose I should bite the bullet and just drive to the Snoozy factory from Connecticut. but before I go I would like to have some idea as to what a new Snoozy will costů I haven't had any luck contacting the manufacturer.

Do you have any idea what people pay for a new Snoozy these days, and how long they wait to get one?

Earl J.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl J. View Post

Do you have any idea what people pay for a new Snoozy these days, and how long they wait to get one?

Earl J.
There is a link to prices on the spec page of the Snoozy site.

Trailer Specifications: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

Happy shopping, Raz
Old 05-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Earl J. After reading your last post I must ask why have you been unable to contact manufacturer? If the manufacturer does not respond to your attempts to obtain costs and other information when you are trying to order one why do business with them?....just a thought.

I came to this site trying to get information about a year ago. I admit that I find this class of travel trailer to be outside the normal marketing circle of RV products. None have a dealer network to guide and service the product. The FGRV's pricing structure is much higher than the norm...availability is lacking...inventory of used examples is overpriced. Since owners of these units are "on there own" they have formed this site to help each another...I must admit they are a close knit group and are willing to help other owners of FGRVs.
Perhaps the lack of dealer service networks is the reason.

Based on a year of reading this site I have concluded that a molded fiberglass trailer is not in my future. I will stick with what I have. Best of luck if you decide to continue to search for a FGRV....in the meantime I'll be camping in my regular travel trailer....enjoy the quest !