Toyota Highlander towing capacity? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

Name: Earl J.
Trailer: Shopping
Connecticut
Question Toyota Highlander towing capacity?

Hi Folks.... Can anyone tell me about towing a Lil Snoozy size trailer with a late model Toyota Highlander? Many thanks.
Earl J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
You really should check the owner's manual for your particular vehicle. Oft times there is a slight range of capacities based on whether or not the vehicle is equipped to tow more or just a basic vehicle.

But, a quick "Google Is Your Friend" search returned a very wide spread, so again, our best bet is know exactly which Highlander and how your own Highlander is equipped. Engine size is important, but so it Trailer Tow package with trans cooler or not.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tow rating depends on the year and configuration. Ranges up to 5000 pounds for the current generation, but can be much lower. Check your owner's manual (or download one online if you're shopping) and see what you need to get the maximum rating.

The unknown in my mind is the real-world loaded weight of a Lil Snoozy. There are none in the Trailer Weights in the Real World database, but with a listed dry weight of 2500 pounds, I'd expect a loaded weight of 3000-3500 pounds.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Get VIN # and call your Toyota dealer, they can tell you the towing capacity of your particular vehicle.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #5

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Here we go again...instead of a visit to a Toyota dealership to get the real factual answer about your Highlander you ask strangers on the Internet.

The Highlander was available with two engine options V6 and 4 cyl and either front wheel drive (FWD) or all wheel drive (AWD). Now take your Highlander to a Toyota dealer and they will run your VIN Number thru their computer and tell you everything you need to know....or trust strangers on the Internet.

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Here we go again...instead of a visit to a Toyota dealership to get the real factual answer about your Highlander you ask strangers on the Internet.

The Highlander was available with two engine options V6 and 4 cyl and either front wheel drive (FWD) or all wheel drive (AWD). Now take your Highlander to a Toyota dealer and they will run your VIN Number thru their computer and tell you everything you need to know....or trust strangers on the Internet.

Happy Camping !
Here we go again, attacking someone who only is asking for some real world experience, and while assuming that he has not already figured out what exact equipment his tug has...

The Toyota dealer can tell you what towing equipment you have, and what the specs are (assuming they are not as incompetent as some of the Toyota people I have dealt with) but they will not be much help when it comes to actually experience with a specific trailer. So what is wrong with asking here if anyone has any actual experience and getting their opinions? What Toyota tells you is not likely to be "all you need to know." I know.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I'll chime in as an owner of a 2011 Highlander. We have the factory installed tow package and tow a 1982 13 foot Scamp with ease. Gas milage only drops off about 2 mpg for us when towing. It's rated at 5000 pounds.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
In defense of "strangers on the internet", I'll say that my husband and I have gotten some very clever and helpful advice from the folks on FGRV. And I have probably asked questions that some people would consider "dumb", but most members here are kind enough to share their expertise to the benefit of all. Let's not intimidate people who are seeking advice and want to hear about the experiences of others! I consider most folks on FGRV as friendly fellow campers, not as strangers on the internet!
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl J. View Post
Hi Folks.... Can anyone tell me about towing a Lil Snoozy size trailer with a late model Toyota Highlander? Many thanks.
YES, we have a 2013 Highlander V6 4WD. it is good for a 3500 lb trailer.
Before that we had a 2007 Highlander Hybrid w/ V6 & 4Wd. it also was rated for 3500 lb. The 4 cylinder engine should be good for 2500 lb.

You can go to the Toyota website, and look up specs on any model.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I would get Toyota dealer to run the VIN so you know exactly what your vehicle is equipped with and what it is capable of.
My RAV4 for instance was purchased in Canada where transmission fluid cooler, heavy duty alternator and larger radiator is standard. Those items are optional in the US.
The VIN will tell you if you have them or not.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #11

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
Ditto . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail H View Post
In defense of "strangers on the internet", I'll say that my husband and I have gotten some very clever and helpful advice from the folks on FGRV. And I have probably asked questions that some people would consider "dumb", but most members here are kind enough to share their expertise to the benefit of all. Let's not intimidate people who are seeking advice and want to hear about the experiences of others! I consider most folks on FGRV as friendly fellow campers, not as strangers on the internet!
Yes Mamm!
I was sitting here feeling a bit perturbed after reading the nano-lecture post and then I read your response. I have asked many questions that may seem foolish to some and yet everyone has been so very civil and so very gracious. I want to encourage everyone to be tolerant and gracious as they have always been here.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #12

Florida
What a guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Here we go again, attacking someone who only is asking for some real world experience, and while assuming that he has not already figured out what exact equipment his tug has...

The Toyota dealer can tell you what towing equipment you have, and what the specs are (assuming they are not as incompetent as some of the Toyota people I have dealt with) but they will not be much help when it comes to actually experience with a specific trailer. So what is wrong with asking here if anyone has any actual experience and getting their opinions? What Toyota tells you is not likely to be "all you need to know." I know.
Thank goodness you posted this. You have restored my faith in the civility of this website. Yes! Yes! Yes! We must make room for all of us newbies and our newbie questions. Everyone here started out as a newbie!
Old 05-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
When I was kid in school, the teacher would lecture us for an hour on a subject and I wouldn't get it. I would ask the kid next to me and he would go, bla! bla! bla!, and I would go Ohhhhh. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My '08 Highlander 4wd V6 with tow package was rated for 5,000 lbs. I towed trailers of 2700 lbs up to 3500 lbs, for 140,000 miles of its 185,000 mile total life. It was plenty capable for most situations. I towed a 17' Burro widebody (2300 lbs) without incident. However, towing a boxy conventional 16' trailer at high elevation into a stiff headwind slowed me to about 38-40 mph (I wasn't pushing it hard, though).

in '13 and '14 I began to have the transmission temp light come on with greater frequency while towing steep grades, and the repair shop couldn't put a finger on why it was doing that. I could have added another tranny cooler (but it already had extra cooling from the factory, as part of the tow package). Instead I elected to replace the HL with an '08 V8 Lexus GX470 with 100K less miles on the odometer. I finally sold the HL about a month ago, since it's mostly been just sitting. But I miss the way it rode and handled.

A HL without the V6 would be very different for towing. And if a V6 HL didn't have the extra cooling, I'd be concerned about it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #15

Florida
It's all just lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
When I was kid in school, the teacher would lecture us for an hour on a subject and I wouldn't get it. I would ask the kid next to me and he would go, bla! bla! bla!, and I would go Ohhhhh. Carl
Old 05-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #16

Connecticut
Many Thanks!

Thank you all for allowing me your precious time and thoughts in reply to my amateurish question. Great forum group!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Another consideration is where you plan on towing. My vehicle tows well in the relatively flat terrain of the central US but in the montainous regions of the Western US , it is a different story.
I am not sure that your local Toyota dealer will be able to provide much information beyond parroting what the factory tells them.
Asking for personnal experiences with a particular
vehicle will probably give you an answer closer to the truth .
Car dealers only goal is to sell vehicles and make a profit.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #18

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Another consideration is where you plan on towing. My vehicle tows well in the relatively flat terrain of the central US but in the montainous regions of the Western US , it is a different story.
This is a good point so I wanted to add to what I hastily said above about our Highlander, because I didn't give very much info! It is a V6 AWD, with tow package and currently has 135,000 miles on it. We live in Colorado and last year (our first year with our Scamp) towed almost exclusively in the mountains- the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, the Snowy Range in Wyoming and over, up and down all along Highway 50 through Nevada to Lake Tahoe (there are 17 named passes, some with 8% grade). We drive at around 62 mph when towing the camper, and had zero slow down on the up hill, zero pushing on the down hill.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #19

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
We towed a Snoozy with actual weight of 2850# with a 2007 V6 RAV4 with tow package rated to tow 3500#. Worked fine, plenty of power, never over heated.

A Highlander with V6 and and tow package would do even better as its a little longer wheelbase.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #20

Connecticut
Many Thanks

Thanks to you all for your kind replies. It sounds as though I should have no trouble towing a Snoozy with my 2016 Highlander 4x4 V6.... If I can just find a Snoozy for sale! I haven't heard of a single one here in New England, but I'll keep trying.

Thanks again.