Toyota Sienna - - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I will be so upset if my Sienna can not tow because of no towing package. The reason I bought a Sienna was to be able to tow up to 3500 lb.
The price of that camping world hitch is outrageous also. If I wanted to pay an extra 2000 for parts to tow with, I would have bought another SUV.
Fustrated here!
Just take your vin # to a Toyota dealer and ask them to look it up. They can tell you exactly what options it came equipped with. If it doesn't have the tow package, then they can tell you what items should be added to make it tow-ready.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcchase View Post
Hey there, I also have a 2011 Toyota Sienna XLE. I have received a quote from Camping World to add a hitch at $1105.54 (US). They have listed a Toyota Sienna CLS III which I understand to be a hitch (I was able to find this part on google). They have also listed a Round Bar Weight Distributing Hitch 800 lb tongue weight (which I found on google also) and which I also understand to be a hitch. Am I being bamboozled? Why would they have two hitches? Is this necessary?

Thanks. I am very new to this and would appreciate any advice you can offer.
A lot of people are less than fond of shopping at Camping World.

Hitch talk can be confusing. The part that bolts onto the underside of your vehicle is often called a hitch, but the better name for it is 'hitch receiver'. It has a square tube at the back, into which you insert a ball mount with a ball. Then there's the thing you can optionally add for weight distribution (and maybe sway control, depending on the model), called a weight distribution hitch; this thing will usually have bars and/or chains that can help move some of the weight from the vehicle's rear wheels to the front wheels.

I once bought a receiver at Walmart for my Mountaineer. I think it was under $150. But they only stock a couple of really common models. For the Sienna, shop at a larger U-Haul center or a trailer specialty shop, or online. You really should not have to spend much more than a couple hundred for a receiver, plus a bit more for the ball mount and ball (Walmart has those for sure).

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #17

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
I don't have any experience towing with a Sienna but I just want to chime in about towing packages and such. First, we would STRONGLY recommend getting a brake package and, if you don't have something that's substantial, a true blue towing package. I don't know all the details (the "he" part of this equation does) but I'll say that we asked around for several weeks and talked to the "top three" on our list in person. Then, we had everything installed on our Ford Explorer. It came out looking nice and strong and we never had to worry. Plus! It was far cheaper than taking it to the dealer or buying a vehicle with such extras added on in the factory. When we sold her, I was a little scared because the TV we bought (Toyota Tundra) had the factory package on it and it didn't seem as burly or "convincing". Anyways, we had it checked for free by the guys who helped us with the Explorer and everything's fine -- I'm just a little paranoid. Anyways, happy Glass Camping!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Just take your vin # to a Toyota dealer and ask them to look it up. They can tell you exactly what options it came equipped with. If it doesn't have the tow package, then they can tell you what items should be added to make it tow-ready.
Mike has the good advice here. Sometimes there are just a few inexpensive items that need to be added to give you your max capabilities.

Karalyn.... If you are just towing a small egg you may choose to not use a WDH. Therefore the connection and setup will be a minimal expense.

An Suv is no simpler or less expensive than setting up your Sienna, generally speaking. In many cases the Sienna will feel better towing the trailer than many SUV's.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Here is some very good information and advice on tow capacity of the Sienna and upgrades that may be required to tow to the 3500 lb maximum capacity (you may have to register with the site to access all the pictures)
Sienna Gen-II Towing Capacity. (2004-2010)

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote