Toyota Tacoma late models... Frame problems??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I just found out that my brothers late model Toyota Tacoma pickup was condemed by his Toyota dealer. Rust through frame rails and several cracks as well. He was having some work done...recall I think when the problem was discovered!!! They are giving him a very sizeable settlement but he has to buy another Toyota pickup. I don't know if this is a published recall or not but I also know a lot of members use these trucks to tow with.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Howdy, Alf. I've been lurking around here for a while, trying to figure out how to put a rig together. I'm curious--do they use a lot of salt on the roads up where you live? Could that be what rotted out the frame of your brother's truck? Down here they only use mag chlorride and its got its own set of issues.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi: I just found out that my brothers late model Toyota Tacoma pickup was condemed by his Toyota dealer. Rust through frame rails and several cracks as well. He was having some work done...recall I think when the problem was discovered!!! They are giving him a very sizeable settlement but he has to buy another Toyota pickup. I don't know if this is a published recall or not but I also know a lot of members use these trucks to tow with.
That's interesting! A Toyota dealer condemning a late model Toyota truck?

What if he decides to buy another pickup other than a Toyota?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Howdy, Alf. I've been lurking around here for a while, trying to figure out how to put a rig together. I'm curious--do they use a lot of salt on the roads up where you live? Could that be what rotted out the frame of your brother's truck? Down here they only use mag chlorride and its got its own set of issues.
Hi: Terry and One of the largest underground deposits of salt in the world... lies under Lake Huron between Michigan and Ontario. That makes it cheap for the Dept. of Highways to use. They don't seem too bothered by its effects on the environment or the vehicles.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
I have a '96 Tacoma and received a notice from Toyota a while back about the frame rusting issue. They extended the frame warranty. Being in Oregon, we have lots of rain, but we don't use corrosive treatments on the road (even if they did, they would only be applied a few times a year). I checked my frame and am monitoring it, but so far have seen nothing on the outside or near holes where I can peek inside the frame. I think I'm lucky to be in a low risk area.

-Isaac
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
i work for a toyota dealer and it is a safety recall. you dont have to buy another toyota but they'll give you an extra grand towards it if you do. its not just salt probably bad metal. they dont say because of lawyers. regardless of mileage or condition you get kelly blue book "good" based on equipment. weve had people towing trucks out of fields and getting thousands. it must be titled in your name,and be brought to a toyota dealer. one shot, if its not rusted through in specific areas they do nothing then or in the future for you. ck with nhtsa (nat hwy traffic safety admin) for copies of recall. we have 5 on the lot waiting to go to the shredder.
jeff y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
i work for a toyota dealer and it is a safety recall. you dont have to buy another toyota but they'll give you an extra grand towards it if you do. its not just salt probably bad metal. they dont say because of lawyers. regardless of mileage or condition you get kelly blue book "good" based on equipment. weve had people towing trucks out of fields and getting thousands. it must be titled in your name,and be brought to a toyota dealer. one shot, if its not rusted through in specific areas they do nothing then or in the future for you. ck with nhtsa (nat hwy traffic safety admin) for copies of recall. we have 5 on the lot waiting to go to the shredder.
Hi: Jeff... Thanks for the view from the inside out!!! It seems a very "Honourable" treatment for the affected owners. My brother was quite satisfied with the deal he got... he just wasn't expecting to have to deal his truck just yet!!!