Toyota Tundra 5.7 vs 4.6 V8 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2010 trillium outback
Alberta
We just bought a new tacoma and my neighbor is a long time toyota tech he said he constantly fixes waterpumps in the 5.7l along with rear diff's and the odd transmission which costs enough to purchase a new motorcycle and would stick with the smaller v8 as they have all the bugs out of them , our 4x4 tacoma 4dr long box 4.0L pulls are 1800lb egg around just fine and if we bought the tundra it would have been the small v8 ,jmho cheers mike

Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
We just bought a new tacoma and my neighbor is a long time toyota tech he said he constantly fixes waterpumps in the 5.7l along with rear diff's and the odd transmission which costs enough to purchase a new motorcycle and would stick with the smaller v8 as they have all the bugs out of them , our 4x4 tacoma 4dr long box 4.0L pulls are 1800lb egg around just fine and if we bought the tundra it would have been the small v8 ,jmho cheers mike
That seems a bit odd, the 4.6 is a lot newer engine (2010), than the 5.7 (2007), and is basically a de-stroked 5.7 with a new, lighter transmission. Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2012 lists the Tundra V-8 (the one they had data on was the 5.7), as the only full-sized truck with better than average "predicted reliability." I'm happy with my 4.6, but saying it "has the bugs worked out" while the old 5.7 doesn't yet, just doesn't sound right. The main hesitation I had with buying the 4.6 instead of the 5.7 was it was a new engine and transmission and might not have been thoroughly wrung out yet.

BTW, I love the Tacoma. I would have bought one instead of the Tundra but the deal on the Tundra last summer was just too good to pass up. I think so many people were staying away from the big trucks last summer because of the gas prices, that they were offering great deals that weren't available on the smaller trucks - at least that was true with the Toyota dealers around here.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2010 trillium outback
Alberta
Yup my bad Ray I was refering to the 4.7 L and should have stated so , sorry for that , also I must say I saw a truck here with washington plates a few day's ago a full size regular cab shortbox 4x4 it stated 5.7L on the side which put me off a little but if that truck came with a 4.6L I wouldn't mind having one , that model isn't offered here and is the first I've seen it looked to be a winner shame they don't offer a canuck version , cheers mike
Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #18

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Is the 4.7 still available in Canada?
Here in the states the 5.7 is available with every body style and every drivetrain; the 4.6 is available with all except the 4x4 regular cab; the V6 is only available with the 4x2 regular and extended (double) cab. (2011 information, it might have changed for 2012.)
Although I see a lot of Tundra trucks in this area, almost none of them are regular cab models. Toyota advertises that the regular cab is so roomy that you can have the seat all the way back and still have room for five gallon buckets behind it! We could barely do that with our extended cab Chevy S-10.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Is the 4.7 still available in Canada?
Here in the states the 5.7 is available with every body style and every drivetrain; the 4.6 is available with all except the 4x4 regular cab; the V6 is only available with the 4x2 regular and extended (double) cab. (2011 information, it might have changed for 2012.)
Although I see a lot of Tundra trucks in this area, almost none of them are regular cab models. Toyota advertises that the regular cab is so roomy that you can have the seat all the way back and still have room for five gallon buckets behind it! We could barely do that with our extended cab Chevy S-10.
That may be because the S-10 is not a full size truck. I had to trade my 1st year 95 1/2 Tacoma when my son was born because the extended cab wasn't big enough for a car seat. The Tundra is a full size.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 Casita Liberty Deluxe / Snug Top SuperSport on a 2002 4x4 Tundra AC
Send a message via Yahoo to Roland Takayama
Get the big motor, I love my 5.7. You'll get the extra $$ back at resale. I also use less fuel than my old 4.7 towing the same trailer. You may not be a hot rodder, but the extra ponies are worth their weight in gold on an uphill onramp with a bunch of trucks bearing down on you. I also have a '06 Tacoma 4 cylinder. Santa Barbara to Phoenix, AZ on one tank. Gotta love that.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #21

Name: j
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
We just got a 2012 4.6 crewmax a week ago and LOVE it. Coming from a v6 1999 4runner and haven't towed with the tundra yet, but it will very clearly be a far better tv than the 4runner (not to say we don't miss the "petite" 4runner at times. )
Though the resale will be better with the 5.7, on the flip side, the 4.6 are not as popular so you will probably find super sweet deal on them as we did! The crewmax is a perfect "suv with a bonus bed" as I like to call her!
we got the 4.6 b/c it has better gas mileage than the 5.7 but is a better tv than the tacoma (imo). best of both worlds...
good luck!