Toyota Tundra factory equipped for towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Toyota Tundra factory equipped for towing

If you were going to purchase a new 2018-2019 Tundra for towing what equipment would you want from the factory, I don't want to purchase a new vehicle and then have to add other equipment to pull a trailer. A trailer like a Oliver 23 Legacy Elite, 5000 lbs, 500 tong weight, these figures are a little over the factory ones, but just leaving a little wiggle room. Also would I want the larger V8 of the standard V8, you Tundra owners let me know what you think, thanks.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Get the larger V8 for climbing mountain roads. Ask for the towing package, then ask for a brake controller too. Don’t worry about MPG ever, as you just need to be able to tow and brake with no issues. Do not buy a tow ball, as hitches are custom to the load balancing design mechanism.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #3

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
And get 4wd too of course. Have the bed lined with LINE-X
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
And get 4wd too of course. Have the bed lined with LINE-X
The bed of my truck is lined with Line X , plus a rubber bed mat
The Line X is great but does nothing to improve towing ability and lowers your payload capacity . I have 4 wd because I live in a snow area but if I lived in a hot dry climate probably not.

Every bit of added weight subtracts from your payload capacity .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
It is my understanding that all 5.7L Tundras comes with the tow package (transmission cooler, larger alternator, etc.). You might want to consider tow mirrors. Even when not towing, they really help me make lane changes. As others have mentioned you will need a brake controller. I prefer the double cab body configuration with the 6.5' bed, but that is really dependent upon your inside vs outside storage needs.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
A trailer like a Oliver 23 Legacy Elite, 5000 lbs, 500 tong weight, these figures are a little over the factory ones, but just leaving a little wiggle room.
John,

I think you might be leaving yourself short on wiggle room. The 23' Elite II has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs. The dry weights of 4,600 / 460 listed on the Oliver site are noted as "(Approximate)".

I suspect that you would be hard pressed to actually tow at 5,000 / 500 and suggest basing your target rated capacity on 6,000 / 600 or even 7,000 / 700.

Even if the total weight were held to less than 6,000 lbs, allowing for a higher tongue weight than 10% is in order.

Additional to this, add all the usual cautions to evaluate the tow vehicle's GCWR, payload, and rear axle ratings, etc.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #7

Name: Rory
Trailer: In the market"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
If you were going to purchase a new 2018-2019 Tundra for towing what equipment would you want from the factory, I don't want to purchase a new vehicle and then have to add other equipment to pull a trailer. A trailer like a Oliver 23 Legacy Elite, 5000 lbs, 500 tong weight, these figures are a little over the factory ones, but just leaving a little wiggle room. Also would I want the larger V8 of the standard V8, you Tundra owners let me know what you think, thanks.

trainman
General info, FWIW
Maximum Towing and Payload Capacities of 2018 Toyota Tundra

2018 Tundra, which boasts a towing capacity of up to 10,200 pounds, when equipped with the 5.7-liter V8 engine. When the 2018 Tundra is powered by the 4.8-liter V8 engine, it can tow up to 6,800 pounds. Towing is further aided by standard and available towing features like the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, TOW/HAUL Mode switch, towing hitch receiver and Trailer-Sway Control.
If your job or lifestyle demands a pickup that can carry a lot of stuff, then you’ll be pleased with the 2018 Tundra and its maximum payload capacity of up to 2,080 pounds
Rory B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Really like my 2011 Toyo Tundra, dbl cab, 5.7L, 4x4, tow package, Teconsha P3 brake controller, rear view camera, Firestone air suspension, Leer mid height fiberglass shell, one ton bed slide, 66k miles.

(4x4 is must have for us, have used it at least once every camping season since purchase, and REALLY needed it each time).

Never in the shop other than oil changes etc.

Pull 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe, almost 4K loaded,

Tongue weight abt 500 lbs because have 3k gen on tongue.

Carry abt 350 lbs of camping gear in truck.

Have pulled Casita abt 40 k miles w no problem. Mostly out west, some in Appalachian mts in TN .
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Thanks for the replies, I am not buying today, but maybe down the road. Just wanted some info on the Tundra's and what engines would work best with a trailer of that size. I have never been a buyer of smaller engines and towing equipment on trucks, for me it's bigger is better, but would like to stay in the 1/2 ton pickup class. Don't see myself with one of the new diesels on the market today for the 1/2 ton pickups, just stick with a gas engine.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #10

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory B. View Post
General info, FWIW
Maximum Towing and Payload Capacities of 2018 Toyota Tundra

2018 Tundra, which boasts a towing capacity of up to 10,200 pounds, when equipped with the 5.7-liter V8 engine. When the 2018 Tundra is powered by the 4.8-liter V8 engine, it can tow up to 6,800 pounds. Towing is further aided by standard and available towing features like the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, TOW/HAUL Mode switch, towing hitch receiver and Trailer-Sway Control.
If your job or lifestyle demands a pickup that can carry a lot of stuff, then you’ll be pleased with the 2018 Tundra and its maximum payload capacity of up to 2,080 pounds
I for one do not trust any truck manufacturers marketing ad copy
The only number that matters is the yellow sticker on the vehicle’s door post
Try and find a Toyota with a 2080 lb payload rating on any dealers lot and in the configuration your willing to buy
Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
It is my understanding that all 5.7L Tundras comes with the tow package (transmission cooler, larger alternator, etc.). You might want to consider tow mirrors. Even when not towing, they really help me make lane changes. As others have mentioned you will need a brake controller. I prefer the double cab body configuration with the 6.5' bed, but that is really dependent upon your inside vs outside storage needs.
Don't you already take up both lanes when you add the tow mirrors??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #12

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Don't you already take up both lanes when you add the tow mirrors??
The mirrors really add to the look of the truck so there is an upside.