Toyota Tundra Scamp 5th wheel hitch mounting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Toyota Tundra Scamp 5th wheel hitch mounting

Hi: I own a standard scamp 5th wheel 2003 vintage. I purchased it used in 06 with a 98 tacoma attached. everything has worked well ever since. I have made numerous upgrades along the way though. I replaced the scamp convertor with a casita parallax 7300, while doing so I relocated the convertor from under the oven to under the dinette. I don't know why Scamp didn't do this in the first place. I then installed a door under the oven, which is now a great place to store cereal, toaster, blender, etc. Anyway I digress. I recently received a notice from Toyota directing me to have the frame on my Tacoma inspected for rot, It failed. Toyota has since paid me nearly $12,000 for my 14 year old truck. I am a lucky guy. I have since bought a 2011 Tundra double cab with a 6.5 foot bed, 2wd posi traction. I am now in the process of mounting the 5th wheel hitch in the bed of the Tundra. I have made numerous calls to Scamp requesting mounting dimensions and cleareances. Each time I get a slightly different answer. This is what I know for sure: The height of the rails on the bed of the Tundra are 55 inches. The frame on my scamp was raised by Scamp raised by three, 3 Inch box tubing members. the distance frome the ground to the overhang on the Scamp is 57.5 inches when level. Scamp has also told me that the ball should be mounted no more than 6o inches measured diagonally from the corner of the bumper to the center of the truck bed. The people at Scamp, I think the owner, have been vague as to what is a safe geometry. I was told to mount the hitch and try it, if it was not high enough I should then replace the 14 inch tires with 15 inch ones. Needless to say, I am not happy with trying something that could potentially damage the bed of my new Tundra! When You see this message please respond if you can help. I would be happy to call you as I prefer it as a form of communication.
Thank you Laird Allen
laird allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 19
California
Hi: Sorry you had no reply. I am looking at the tundra w/ a Scamp 19 also and would like to here how it all worked out. What kind of mph do you get? Rob
Rob in Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I suspect he figured things out. Shame he didn't post it. You might try a personal message. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 19
California
thank you Raz
Rob in Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah, Laird had Last Activity: 06-20-2012 06:46 AM, we may have learned something new and valuable for similar owners, if only we knew what the solution was.

Sigh.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... For all we know (laird allen) may have been over run with problems getting hitched. As the late Paul Harvey used to say...we may never know "The Rest Of The Story"?
My brothers Taco. suffered the same fate. Condemed on the hoist. His settlement was more $$$"s but it still cost him 5K for a newer Toy. and he didn't get to keep any of the full tank of gas he just bought either!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp