Trade in Tow Vehicle versus adding a hitch? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Clair , that must have been a fun time, that's a rough stretch to "limp". Some darn big hills/mountains to climb even with a good vehicle. I did the trip to Dawson City in June.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #16

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jennifer I pulled with a Subaru with a 2800lb tow rating for a number of years and I think you are making a good decision to find another vehicle. I would not trade the Subaru in though I would sell it privately so you get the best bang for your buck. In my area used Subaru's are hard to find and they sell fast!
I would love to sell the Sub privately. The other spring when I needed to replace the manual transmission the only one we found was in Japan, and needed to be shipped. It came at a price of 8 grand but, I figured a new car would cost that much and I already 'had' this car.

So, I might call the guy who repaired it in Fairbanks and ask if he'd like to purchase the car. He works at a Subaru dealer up there and might want to have it, even if for scrap.

Jen
p.s. edit: I got my Subaru while in Alaska, it is ready for winter and loves the cold...please feel free to share my craigslist ad. BC is about a couple day drive but, I'm charging so little for it, they could ship it if someone up there wants her. !! She is theirs, unless Kendall Subaru in Fairbanks wants her back, but first come...

Old 11-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #17

California
Hi all,

Now I'm just trying to sell this car for parts. Feel free to share, a 2004 Manual Transmission is very rare and hard to find, (this was was sent from Japan last spring!) !!

New Manual Tran, 2004 Subaru Legacy wagon

Jen
Old 11-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #18

Name: jon
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Jen,
We love subi's. On our sixth one. Each has had over 200,000 miles before we traded it in. Felt as if it was just getting broken in. But as we didn't feel comfortable towing our 17 SD with our 4 cylinder, we opted for a used Ford F-150, V8, 5.0 engine with a tow package. Lots more power, better handling and feel much safer towing (and stopping) with the truck.

Good luck selling your pre-loved Subi. It's hard to let them go , but you will feel safer driving (and stopping) with the proper TV.
jon
Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
Jen,
We love subi's. On our sixth one. Each has had over 200,000 miles before we traded it in. Felt as if it was just getting broken in. But as we didn't feel comfortable towing our 17 SD with our 4 cylinder, we opted for a used Ford F-150, V8, 5.0 engine with a tow package. Lots more power, better handling and feel much safer towing (and stopping) with the truck.

Good luck selling your pre-loved Subi. It's hard to let them go , but you will feel safer driving (and stopping) with the proper TV.
jon
Hi Jon,

Its easy to let the Subaru go though because I bought it in Alaska and I do not feel the extremes of the Mojave are going to be good for it even without the trailer.

Depending on what happens, I might literally salvage sell the car because I've had no takers yet. Not even a nibble. Will see what happens and if the dealer will give me anything as a straight sale to them.

Jen
Old 12-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Don't forget car auctions. They do take a percentage, but you'll have lots of bidders on the car and probably get a good price.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #21

California
Finally got my tow vehicle

Yay,

I finally got my tow vehicle. Its a 2000 Ford F150 workman series 4x4.

Its a short bed and I'm also considering a slide in camper for it versus a cap since I'm doing a cross country move at the same time. Granted, I've downsized to full time but, I have my work gear still which doesn't belong to me.

Either way, I should be able to finally "pick up" the trailer in the next two weekends!!

Thank you to Randy again!!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:30 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Life is filled with 'two steps forward and one step back' moments. Back to a pickup! I'm glad you found what you needed and hope it gives you plenty of good service.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Yay,

I finally got my tow vehicle. Its a 2000 Ford F150 workman series 4x4.

Its a short bed and I'm also considering a slide in camper for it versus a cap since I'm doing a cross country move at the same time. Granted, I've downsized to full time but, I have my work gear still which doesn't belong to me.

Either way, I should be able to finally "pick up" the trailer in the next two weekends!!

Thank you to Randy again!!
Good to hear you are set. I am thinking on the same lines. an older ford f 150 to help with the towing of my 16` scamp. How many miles on it. They have bucu miles on them around here and are still going strong. Good luck. Carl
Old 01-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Just to maintain my position as heretic and offer the other side view. We towed a Scamp 16, at 2600 lbs, 2400 on the axle and 200-210 on the tongue. We have been all over North America with 3 similar sized mall trailers towing with a 2004 Honda CRV with a manual transmission. Certainly the engine was at High revs going up some long mountain passes and sometimes in 3rd gear but that's totally within the capability.

We managed 250,000 miles, same clutch and never a driveline repair and typically 21 mpg.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #25

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Just to maintain my position as heretic and offer the other side view. We towed a Scamp 16, at 2600 lbs, 2400 on the axle and 200-210 on the tongue. We have been all over North America with 3 similar sized mall trailers towing with a 2004 Honda CRV with a manual transmission. Certainly the engine was at High revs going up some long mountain passes and sometimes in 3rd gear but that's totally within the capability.

We managed 250,000 miles, same clutch and never a driveline repair and typically 21 mpg.
Heresy is okay, however, I would've been maxed out at my tow capacity, let alone adding my cargo and then driving up and down mountains on a car that already was nearing 190K miles.

Granted, now I have a truck with 200+K miles but, I won't be maxing out either the tow or cargo capacity.

Oh, sadly, the fate of the Subaru, with the awesome new manual transmission, is that I gave it away. Worse yet, I gave it away to a dealer! Argh. Well, at least I didn't have to pay someone to haul it for me!
I'm trying to attach a picture of the truck.
Oh, jeepers, I ought to be a sight though, the truck is black, tomorrow I'm likely purchasing a topper for it, in red, and the lovely Trillium, should hopefully not be too embarrassed!!
Link to truck picture. However, I still need to get a hitch, (it has a tow package but, needs the ball.) Zenfolio | Jennifer Blocker Photo | cellphone uploads | Photo 1
Old 01-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #26

California
Thank you Mike and Carl too.

The one I purchased has high miles on it, but, the last two vehicles I got were over 160K miles when I got them and I kept each for about 2-3 years.

Maintenance and upkeep on cars is relative, 20K to 180K has anticipated needs and replacements.

I've personally wanted to make a car last to 300K one time but, I don't keep them that long! Then again, I know I have a bit of an oddball curiosity like that.

Jen
Old 01-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #27

California
The truck hauled the trailer just fine when I picked it up the other day. Drove back over 130+ miles on highways and through Nashville and it did well.

Thankfully I made it safely because when i brought the tow vehicle in yesterday for a new muffler and brake check, (prepping for the nearly 2K mile road trip starting soon,) I had to leave it in for some repairs.

Apparently both tie rods were barely hanging on and one could've come off but for a pin holding it! Also, there is some other work that needs to happen.

Usually a good tune up with a new used vehicle is first for me but, I trusted a less than honest seller! Gah. Thankfully the ma and pa owned Meineke here in Clarksville near Ft Campbell is run by some wonderful people!
Jen
p.s. I wouldn't want his karma! He knew I was about to drive cross country with a trailer and I asked outright what I should repair first and he said, "she is good, just get an oil change.)
Old 01-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jennifer,

To us the trailer and the tow vehicle, though we are very happy with ours, are secondary to the attitude and opportunity of travel. and it's associated growth.

Ww have absolutely loved our travel and wish you 'the time of your life'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote