Trade in Tow Vehicle versus adding a hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 05:04 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Trade in Tow Vehicle versus adding a hitch?

This morning I was reading about tow hitches and I was initially planning to get one put on my 2004 Subaru Legacy, (which has a newly replaced manual transmission.)

However, I had a light bulb moment.

Maybe I should just trade the Subaru in for something more tow worthy and more worth of the Mojave Desert, (where I am going soon.) My current car came from Alaska and maybe I should not take it to the Mojave.

My previous truck was a Chevy HD2500 and I sold it, (with its amazing hitch) because it was over kill at the time. I don't need anything that strong at all but, I remember it was solid.

I will check around and see what I might could find here. The Subaru is a good vehicle but, it seems like a good time to change. Not sure though.
Jen
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Taking into account Subaru's 200# tongue weight limit, I would not tow a travel trailer with Subaru Legacy. I'd trade in.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Taking into account Subaru's 200# tongue weight limit, I would not tow a travel trailer with Subaru Legacy. I'd trade in.
I have myself convinced already that trading it in needs to happen. Or if I can sell the Subaru, finding something else.

This morning I took a scan of CL ads and see a couple potentials.

My time is short to make it happen since I move in about 7 weeks. My thoughts are that even if my trade in is not equal it would be much better than wrecking the Subaru. If I try to haul and have an issue then I'm just in a hard way!

Thank you,
Jen
Old 11-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I tow my Escape 19 with my Chevy Silverado 1500 which does a nice job. One feature of the Chevy is that when conditions are right, 4 cylinders shut down saving gas. It will do this even with the Escape behind me.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Subaru

We have towed Homelet with two Subarus, a 2000 Outback manual and now our 2014 Outback automatic.

They did and do fine.

They are too light for a 4500, however.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I towed a Ventura 13' with a 2001 legacy and it was boarder line, traded up to an outback but it was okay but if you got a head wind or hills you quickly ran out of power unless you dropped to 4th gear , then it was revving like crazy.. The legacy has a lower towing capacity due to the gearing and the low tongue weight of both cars pretty much rule it out for alot of the trailers unless very carefully loaded and that doesn't take into account the weight in the trunk or wagon area. As I found out the hard way, it isn't just the weight of the trailer but its frontal area. The Ventura and the Trillium both have large square fronts and a lot of drag.

The sub's have a very good resale value, sell it and get something that will do the job and then some. You never know when the next trailer may arrive at your door (mine was a 17' Casita) and that extra towing capacity will come in handy.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
If you are unsure about your tow vehicle, replace it. We took a well running but old tow vehicle (Sienna Van) to Alaska/Yukon this summer and ended up have to replace it while on the road. We limped our way from Watson Lake to Dawson Creek on 3 cylinders. No fun. But, we were thinking of getting a truck, and we were in truck country, so we bought a used Tacoma and could not be happier, though it was sad to see the Sienna go.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We run a extra cab ( four door) mid size pickup. We have the Frontier. Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline are two others. You get the passenger space of your Subaru with a small pickup bed. The nice thing about the bed is you can carry your grill, cooler, etc. without worrying about the mess. Plenty of power as far as a 4500 is concerned. The down side is gas mileage. We average sbout 17-18. Also when you own a pickup, everyone is your friend.. Happy shopping, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
I towed a Ventura 13' with a 2001 legacy and it was boarder line, traded up to an outback but it was okay but if you got a head wind or hills you quickly ran out of power unless you dropped to 4th gear , then it was revving like crazy.. The legacy has a lower towing capacity due to the gearing and the low tongue weight of both cars pretty much rule it out for alot of the trailers unless very carefully loaded and that doesn't take into account the weight in the trunk or wagon area. As I found out the hard way, it isn't just the weight of the trailer but its frontal area. The Ventura and the Trillium both have large square fronts and a lot of drag.

The sub's have a very good resale value, sell it and get something that will do the job and then some. You never know when the next trailer may arrive at your door (mine was a 17' Casita) and that extra towing capacity will come in handy.
Thanks everyone. Yes I will have a lot of hills in my 1950 mile move from Tennessee to the Mojave Desert. Subaru's do have a good resale value and this one BB around 8K but, I'd let it go for much less. Hmmm, can I post my craigslist ad here for sharing? I will. 2004 Subaru legacy wagon 35th edition please share if you know anyone near Western KY, or Southern IL/IN and thank you.

Jen
Old 11-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
If you are unsure about your tow vehicle, replace it. We took a well running but old tow vehicle (Sienna Van) to Alaska/Yukon this summer and ended up have to replace it while on the road. We limped our way from Watson Lake to Dawson Creek on 3 cylinders. No fun. But, we were thinking of getting a truck, and we were in truck country, so we bought a used Tacoma and could not be happier, though it was sad to see the Sienna go.
Oh! Not a fun experience I'm sure.

Today I looked at a Tacoma and also a couple Ford 150s.

Will keep looking.

Thank you everyone.
Jen
Old 11-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #11

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I have been having the same dilemma. Ordered a 13' Scamp with front bath and then read the real time trailer weight chart. My Mazda CX-5 is rated for 200 lbs.tongue weight, which is what Scamp promised. Now I'm reading that actual weight could be closer to 230 labs. My car is not even 2 years old yet, with custom options. I would lose some substantial money if I traded. But the alternative makes me worry. What to do??
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Nothing wrong with a pickup if that's what you prefer. A medium size SUV will do the job also. Toyota Highlander, Chevy Traverse, Ford Escape (with largest engine) or Explorer, and many others.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
I have been having the same dilemma. Ordered a 13' Scamp with front bath and then read the real time trailer weight chart. My Mazda CX-5 is rated for 200 lbs.tongue weight, which is what Scamp promised. Now I'm reading that actual weight could be closer to 230 labs. My car is not even 2 years old yet, with custom options. I would lose some substantial money if I traded. But the alternative makes me worry. What to do??
I figure it would break my car, then I'd be left with something I couldn't even trade in and in a bind. Looks like we are both going to trade in.

Way better to be safe than sorry.

Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Nothing wrong with a pickup if that's what you prefer. A medium size SUV will do the job also. Toyota Highlander, Chevy Traverse, Ford Escape (with largest engine) or Explorer, and many others.
Good to know, it will broaden my range.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jennifer I pulled with a Subaru with a 2800lb tow rating for a number of years and I think you are making a good decision to find another vehicle. I would not trade the Subaru in though I would sell it privately so you get the best bang for your buck. In my area used Subaru's are hard to find and they sell fast!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Clair , that must have been a fun time, that's a rough stretch to "limp". Some darn big hills/mountains to climb even with a good vehicle. I did the trip to Dawson City in June.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jennifer I pulled with a Subaru with a 2800lb tow rating for a number of years and I think you are making a good decision to find another vehicle. I would not trade the Subaru in though I would sell it privately so you get the best bang for your buck. In my area used Subaru's are hard to find and they sell fast!
I would love to sell the Sub privately. The other spring when I needed to replace the manual transmission the only one we found was in Japan, and needed to be shipped. It came at a price of 8 grand but, I figured a new car would cost that much and I already 'had' this car.

So, I might call the guy who repaired it in Fairbanks and ask if he'd like to purchase the car. He works at a Subaru dealer up there and might want to have it, even if for scrap.

Jen
p.s. edit: I got my Subaru while in Alaska, it is ready for winter and loves the cold...please feel free to share my craigslist ad. BC is about a couple day drive but, I'm charging so little for it, they could ship it if someone up there wants her. !! She is theirs, unless Kendall Subaru in Fairbanks wants her back, but first come...
Old 11-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #17

California
Hi all,

Now I'm just trying to sell this car for parts. Feel free to share, a 2004 Manual Transmission is very rare and hard to find, (this was was sent from Japan last spring!) !!

New Manual Tran, 2004 Subaru Legacy wagon

Jen
Old 11-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #18

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Jen,
We love subi's. On our sixth one. Each has had over 200,000 miles before we traded it in. Felt as if it was just getting broken in. But as we didn't feel comfortable towing our 17 SD with our 4 cylinder, we opted for a used Ford F-150, V8, 5.0 engine with a tow package. Lots more power, better handling and feel much safer towing (and stopping) with the truck.

Good luck selling your pre-loved Subi. It's hard to let them go , but you will feel safer driving (and stopping) with the proper TV.
jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
Jen,
We love subi's. On our sixth one. Each has had over 200,000 miles before we traded it in. Felt as if it was just getting broken in. But as we didn't feel comfortable towing our 17 SD with our 4 cylinder, we opted for a used Ford F-150, V8, 5.0 engine with a tow package. Lots more power, better handling and feel much safer towing (and stopping) with the truck.

Good luck selling your pre-loved Subi. It's hard to let them go , but you will feel safer driving (and stopping) with the proper TV.
jon
Hi Jon,

Its easy to let the Subaru go though because I bought it in Alaska and I do not feel the extremes of the Mojave are going to be good for it even without the trailer.

Depending on what happens, I might literally salvage sell the car because I've had no takers yet. Not even a nibble. Will see what happens and if the dealer will give me anything as a straight sale to them.

Jen
Old 12-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Don't forget car auctions. They do take a percentage, but you'll have lots of bidders on the car and probably get a good price.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote