Trailblazer tow mirrors - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
On my 99 Blazer I had the Cipa custom mirrors that slid over my existing mirrors they really worked great, of course they won't fit my 05 Trailblazer (that would be to easy). Cipa doesn't list this truck on their website, the local dealer is Canadian Tire, they aren't much help either. I tried the model 10800 and they were to small. Does anybody have a simlilar truck? what do you use?
Attached Thumbnails
New_Blazer_001.JPG  

Old 03-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #2

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Arrow

we tow a 1999 17' Casita with an Honda Odyssey and don't use any extensions at all, I've always felt like I can't do anything about the goings on behind me anyway so I've learned to cope. We towed pre Ody with a Tundra and found we did ok also. If you read the warnings on most of the tractor trailer rigs it says if you not 100 ft back he can't see you and I can see a vehicle if its 100 ft back. As long as you can see someone beside you before you change lanes your good to go.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

Here in Saskatchewan it is law to have towing mirrors, if you drive in a city how would you change lanes? Whenever I turn left there always seems somebody trying to get around me and not knowing what beside me in the blind spot would be nerve wracking. I have tried Cipa's version of tow-N-see mirrors they fell off after 10 mins. I can't find the real Tow-N-see mirrors here in Canada, their web site lists the dealer as Dazy Dist. in Calgary, I phoned and they never heard of them.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Rick, I tow a 07C17SD with a 06 Toyota Tacoma. Can't see behind the trailer but can see down both sides with the stock mirrors. If you can not see down the sides then, yep, you need some help.

These CIPA mirrors should fit, have some good reviews (see down on the page) and don't really break the bank either.
http://tinyurl.com/crsfmq

Click image for larger version

Name:	SC00303.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	18202

Don
Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Here in Saskatchewan it is law to have towing mirrors, if you drive in a city how would you change lanes? Whenever I turn left there always seems somebody trying to get around me and not knowing what beside me in the blind spot would be nerve wracking. I have tried Cipa's version of tow-N-see mirrors they fell off after 10 mins. I can't find the real Tow-N-see mirrors here in Canada, their web site lists the dealer as Dazy Dist. in Calgary, I phoned and they never heard of them.
Rick, will these do???

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...rs/92-1141.htm
Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape
Registry
I use these.
Universal Mirrors
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I've got an '06 GMC Envoy which pretty much the same truck as an '05 Trailblazer. I don't see the need for additional mirrors, as the truck and trailer are about the same width.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape
Registry
Quote:
I've got an '06 GMC Envoy which pretty much the same truck as an '05 Trailblazer. I don't see the need for additional mirrors, as the truck and trailer are about the same width.

-- Dan Meyer
Ya,
I've taken a few trips without the clip ons and seemed to be alright looking straight back along side the trailer using just the TrailBlazer's stock mirrors.
The extended mirrors do greatly improve the view behind the Scamp tho' and only take a few seconds to put on, so I'm making an effort to remember them.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Ya,
I've taken a few trips without the clip ons and seemed to be alright looking straight back along side the trailer using just the TrailBlazer's stock mirrors.
The extended mirrors do greatly improve the view behind the Scamp tho' and only take a few seconds to put on, so I'm making an effort to remember them.
He did say that in his local of Canada that they were required. He also mentioned that the Cipa's fell off on him. The shape of the existing mirrors must have changed with his model year as when I googled them up they had none listed for his truck in any of the sites I found
Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
He did say that in his local of Canada that they were required. He also mentioned that the Cipa's fell off on him. The shape of the existing mirrors must have changed with his model year as when I googled them up they had none listed for his truck in any of the sites I found
I looked high and low for this truck, I think I will give the CIPA UNIVERSAL TOWING MIRRORs a try, they are easy to get and if I don't like them I can return them.
I haven't actually hooked on to my trailer with this truck yet, but the more I can see around the trailer the more comfortable I feel, when I first bought the Boler I picked it up with my Chevy Blazer and never even thought about mirrors until I got to the city , all I could see was trailer in my side mirrors evertime I blindley changed lanes I waited for someone to honk and flip me the bird on the way by!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Here in Saskatchewan it is law to have towing mirrors, if you drive in a city how would you change lanes?
How does the law define "towing mirrors"? As outside mirrors? Or as adjunct mirrors to the existing outside mirrors? If I replace my factory mirrors with ones designed for towing, do I risk a citation because I don't have two sets of outside mirrors?

IIRC, automobiles used to come with a rearview mirror and the outside mirrors were options. I believe the point of this is that a trailer, esp an RV, may block the inside mirror, therefore outside mirrors are needed when towing (which may or may not make them "towing" mirrors.

There is an article on add-on and replacement mirrors for towing in the Jan 2009 issue of Trailer Life and they mention the 200' usual requirement.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #12

The law as written by The Saskatchewan Highway traffic board reads;

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/sgi_pub/vehicle_stand...ow_trailer.html

Mirrors – When towing a trailer or another vehicle, the driver of the towing vehicle must have a clear view to the rear of the trailer or the other vehicle. Left and right outside mirrors set to the widest point of the towed vehicle(s) are sufficient.

If you can see to the back of the trailer your factory mirrors are enough, in the case of my 99 Blazer all I could see was the front of the trailer and I needed extra mirrors to see the end of my trailer.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
OK, that's what I suspected -- They want to ensure that the vehicle doesn't have just one (blocked) mirror.

BTW, scanning thru, I found this recommendation -- I suspect they got tongue weight and pin weight confused or they have just set the range on both ends to cover ball and 5W hitches.

Saskatchewan has specific regulations for weights and combinations of towing vehicles and trailers. If you’re towing a trailer behind a car or pickup truck, a weight imbalance may reduce the vehicle’s stability, handling and braking ability – which could lead to an upset or collision.

To prevent this from occurring, it’s important to know the tongue weight of your trailer. Tongue weight is the amount of weight in the trailer that is placed on the trailer hitch. A tongue weight of 7-18 per cent of the total loaded weight of the trailer is recommended.
END QUOTE
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #14

Update on mirrors

We just finished a 2500 km trip started out with two universal plastic mirrors from CIPA one broke while trying to adjust it (mirror dropped out and broke on pavement) the second would not stay adjusted. I bought some clip ons with rubber straps, because of the shape on the mirror on the trilblazer they wouldn't stay on so I traded them in on some Tow n see mirrors they have a twist type suction cup that really works well, the mirrors are large and easy to adjust the drivers simply uses the remote adjustment for the power mirrors. I would recommend these to any body towing, big improvement from the CIPA copies.