Trailer brakes and where to buy them - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Trailer brakes and where to buy them

I'm looking for a Burro/Scamp/Compact II and most I'm seeing don't have trailer brakes. Since I'll be towing with a 2011 Subaru Forester (2400 lbs with brakes/1000 without) I'll need to install brakes on whatever I buy.
What should I be looking for? Do the different trailers mentioned above need different brakes?
thanks,
Larry
L Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
7 or 10" drum type most common. Eastern Marine carries Dexter at good prices. Not familiar with left coast distributors.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When looking at your possible purchase if the trailer doesn't come with brakes see if the brake mounting flange is on the axle behind the hub. Usually a square flange with bolt holes for mounting. Absence of this flange you will need a new axle (an expensive undertaking) or a good metal fabricator/welder to mount flanges to your existing axle. Once you get the axle with a flange then you need to purchase a loaded backing plate kit and new trailer brake hubs to match your wheel bolt pattern. Then new bearings, races, seals and grease. Then you will need to wire the trailer for brakes and add a breakaway switch and battery connection so the brakes activate should the trailer become detached From the car. If you buy a new axle get it complete with brakes you'll be happier in the long run.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you go to the Dexter website they will list distributors in your area. Eastern Marine is also a good source but shipping is additional.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
You might check with Six Robblees

Products | Six Robblees' Inc.

They have stores along west coast and Rocky Mountain area.
My local store has brake kits in stock and was VERY helpful in ordering a new axle for our Scamp.

Will
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #6

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
etrailer.com
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
New axles are not all that expensive if you don't have the square 4 hole mounting point. It's the brakes and stuff that get expensive. If you have that flange with 4 mounting holes, all gets much easier, as it's just bolt on!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
At least in the case of the Compact-II adding brakes can be somewhat problematic. As the Compact line was originally marketed as "It fits into your garage" they use a dropped axle (without brake flanges) to reduce height. Soooo, not only do you have to get a new axle, it will usually be a straight axle. resulting in raising the trailer about 4", which may obviate this feature.

FWIW: The dropped axle has it's own drawbacks, as making ground contact when towing becomes more common than desired.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I tried to tow my 13' Trillium with a 2012 Forester with a manual transmission. While the car had the power, the hill holder clutch made hill starts almost impossible. Unlike the older Foresters, the hill holder clutch has been integrated into the braking system and can't be disabled. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes