trailer electrical connection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
trailer electrical connection

its probably been discussed but my search did not show me a good response.

what is the connector system on the older eggs from the 70's or 80's?

i'm thinking if i want to buy one i might need an adapter to fit to my 4 pins connector on my Van? would be better to have it handy !

thanks
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For trailers without brakes, the flat four is probably the most common. If I was shopping for a trailer I'd pick up a set of tow lights, as there is a good chance the lights won't work properly anyway.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...kit-69626.html
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I vote for the magnetic Tow Light set too. This week they are still on sale at Harbor Freight for $10. Here's a few reasons, in probable order (?)

1. The trailers lights don't work anyway either due to lights being burned out or defective wires, but the seller will blame your TV's connections.

2. A previous owner invented their own connection pattern and, as soon as you plug in a matching connector, it will blow fuses on your TV or the lights will be all wrong

3. A previous owner changed it from a 4 pin to a 8 (?) pin cannon connector because that's what they had on hand.

4. No matter what adapter combinations you have, they will all be the wrong ones.

In short, the magnetic tow lights, a handfull of long wire ties, and a 4 pin connector at your end will get you home every time.

3. If you have

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

Quebec
thanks for the replies,
i've ordered a magnetic kit.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Watch out with those lights. . I was towing on typical Texas roads and one of them popped off and was dragged to its untimely death. For my second set of HF lights I went to the welding section and bought some of the triangular magnets which really stuck to the bumper and then the weaker tow light magnets stuck to the triangles. That is probably one of many solutions.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Watch out with those lights. . I was towing on typical Texas roads and one of them popped off and was dragged to its untimely death. For my second set of HF lights I went to the welding section and bought some of the triangular magnets which really stuck to the bumper and then the weaker tow light magnets stuck to the triangles. That is probably one of many solutions.
Right, if you read the reviews, they universally say that the magnets are too weak. I'd take some big plastic ties with me and secure them with those. I's also make sure the tow light set worked before I left.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Quebec
Ill bring zip ties
Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
How about some duct tape to attach the wire to the side of the trailer on the way home?
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #9

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
How about some duct tape to attach the wire to the side of the trailer on the way home?
John
My van is alway full of tools duck tape, zip ties bugees ...i'm not worried about that part
Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My 1988 trailer, before I bought it, had a different connection than after I hitched it up to tow it home.

With any trailer that's 30-40 years old, I'm not sure there is an absolute anything you can count on.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
My van is alway full of tools duck tape, zip ties bugees ...i'm not worried about that part
That duck tape is the best.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #12

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
That duck tape is the best.

Lol

Working in the show business industry, i have unlimited access to duct tape(we call it gaffer tape)
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ah, but gaffer tape is not Duck tape ( or duct tape, for that matter ). Gaffer tape costs at least four times as much and doesn't leave sticky residue, or peel paint off the surface when removed. I have a couple rolls from when I worked as a photographer.
Doesn't stick when wet or to wet surfaces.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Preferably gaffer's tape, which is similar but designed to remove cleanly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Agreed, duct tape is NOT gaffers tape. I too am a photographer, and I do keep gaffers tape handy, but it is not the same thing as duct tape.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #16

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Agreed, duct tape is NOT gaffers tape. I too am a photographer, and I do keep gaffers tape handy, but it is not the same thing as duct tape.
I know
I have both kinds plus another few types at the shop

This thread as turned out to be a tape thread lol

Did you know that theres a duck tape festival?
Avon Heritage Duct Tape Festival
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
This thread as turned out to be a tape thread lol..........
When I searched for the duck tape picture on Google Images, I came across a number of duct tape bikinis . Had to check them out.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Tom remember pictures, pictures, pictures!!
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #19

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My 1988 trailer, before I bought it, had a different connection than after I hitched it up to tow it home.
Are you saying that prior to sale, you had an expectation of compatibility with your tv connector but someone (owner, gremlins, repair facility) queered the pitch by changing to another type of trailer connector or changed internal connections in the connector unbeknownst to you? Things that happen unbeknownst to one can wreak havoc upon one's equanimity. I know!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Are you saying that prior to sale, you had an expectation of compatibility with your tv connector but someone (owner, gremlins, repair facility) queered the pitch by changing to another type of trailer connector or changed internal connections in the connector unbeknownst to you? Things that happen unbeknownst to one can wreak havoc upon one's equanimity. I know!

jack
Nope, not really saying that Jack. I CHANGED IT There wasn't any compatibility from original to my needs. My point to the OP, is you can't count on anything on older trailers. IF the time comes for me to sell my 25 year old Scamp, I'd hate anyone to assume the original connections to the tug are still there, or at least the same.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical