trailer hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Hi there. Are there any vancouver canada area members that can advise on the best place to get a full electrical class 1 hitch put on a dodge caravan? The prices i'm finding are quite varied, and some are also telling me that there is no class 1 hitch for a caravan- that i have to get a class 2. That is just extra weight bearing ability correct? Are there any issues with that? Thanks a lot for the tips.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I did a quick look at ETrailer using 2000 Caravan and see there are Class I, II & III hitches available.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2000_Dodge_Caravan.htm

As the Class numbers rise, the tow ratings for the hitch also rise (as does the weight of the hitch). Class I/II have a 1 1/4" hitch receiver and Class III has the more common 2" receiver.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you go to www.etrailer.com and put in your year, and Dodge Caravan it will show you hitches that are available. Didn't know what year you had -- put in 2004, and they show Class I, II, and III hitches. If you purchased from them you'd have to have it installed, although most are just bolt ons.

So at least one of those question answer's is that there is a Class I hitch.
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
I did a quick look at ETrailer using 2000 Caravan and see there are Class I, II & III hitches available.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2000_Dodge_Caravan.htm

As the Class numbers rise, the tow ratings for the hitch also rise (as does the weight of the hitch). Class I/II have a 1 1/4" hitch receiver and Class III has the more common 2" receiver.
Thanks for that. Someone else also recommended a class 3 hitch as they are supposed to be cheaper. So if the weight of the hitch goes up, is that what is called 'tongue weight'? Will i be better off with the lower weight class 2? Ilike the van but as i am short i cant see to park, this will be a problem to figure out.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Thanks for that. Someone else also recommended a class 3 hitch as they are supposed to be cheaper. So if the weight of the hitch goes up, is that what is called 'tongue weight'? Will i be better off with the lower weight class 2? Ilike the van but as i am short i cant see to park, this will be a problem to figure out.

The class 3 hitch gives you the most towing flexiblity IMHO. We had a Class 2 with our Burro and early on for our 16' UHaul. I moved up to the Class 3 just to give me more towing options and peace of mind. It can handle a heavier trailer or car-carrier without worry. I wouldn't recommend the Class 1 - just too light and limited.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
The class 3 hitch gives you the most towing flexiblity IMHO. We had a Class 2 with our Burro and early on for our 16' UHaul. I moved up to the Class 3 just to give me more towing options and peace of mind. It can handle a heavier trailer or car-carrier without worry. I wouldn't recommend the Class 1 - just too light and limited.
ok, i will more than likely do that. Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Tongue Weight is the weight of the front of the trailer that is resting on the tow vehicle's hitch. The trailer is NOT balanced, but is deliberately unbalanced to have 10-12-15% of its total weight on the front (this helps reduce sway significantly).

So if a trailer weighs 3,000 lbs, from 300 to 450 lbs of that will be on the tow vehicle hitch and 2,700 to 2,550 will be on the trailer axle.

One starts with a bunch of estimates of the various weights, but one should end with actually weighing everything, fully loaded and fueled and provisioned for the road, on a set of scales.

The towing capacity for your van should be in the Owner's Manual under trailer towing.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Cindi, I side with Kevin. Get the largest(strongest??) hitch you can afford cause you never know down the road WHAT you may want to tow, even in an emergancy. I could tell you better where to go IF I knew better WHERE you park your trailer. There are some specialty hitch places in Abby, some in the 'Wack too, 'VANCOUVER' covers MAN square miles....LOL!!! WHERE are U???
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote