Trailer Life Towing Guide. - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Trailer Life Towing Guide.

The latest issue of Trailer Life, March 2016, has a Towing Guide for more than 750 Vehicles. Trailerlife.com

Get it and you have your answer to your Towing Capacity questions.
__________________

__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Posts: 592
I just read that issue...a lot of work went into that detailed chart....BUT...always check with an owner's manual to confirm data...bring you vehicle to a dealership and get their opinion....year to year things change.
__________________

__________________
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,443
I also liked the letter at the front of the magazine explaining the absurdity of tearing down your wheels EVERY year regardless of the mileage and repacking bearings! Good stuff! I agreed with him 100%.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Nothing on tow capacity.... only tow ratings!
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Posts: 147
Registry
Same issue has an article on installing a "super solar system" which I found interesting (at least the parts I could understand).

p@
__________________
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Posts: 592
I looked at that article but have not read it yet. There seems to be a big learning curve for solar and in the end you still are working with batteries and cloudy days could be a problem. The reason major private companies are not getting into the solar electric business (or wind power for that matter) is the product is by its very nature unreliable and in the end the city, town or state still must maintain a conventional power plant using some fuel. This doubles or triples the cost of facilities while raising the true cost of power to consumers. That is why all solar power is supported by government grants or outright hand-outs. The funding comes from taxpayer dollars...that means you are paying more taxes to support a system that real businesses avoid investing their money into. Something to think about.

The big question for RV owners is simple...real cost vs benefits....how long do solar panels last bouncing down the highway?....what is the cost of batteries and how long before they must be replaced ? .....what is the cost of installation ?

I decided to buy a quiet inverter generator that was RV ready with a 30 AMP plug and 3,100 watts at a total cost of $750. If and when it does fail that is the total expense....I figure it is less than a complete solar system with batteries and it runs my A/C....something a solar system will not do.
__________________
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
GregandTeresa's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Posts: 193
Solar

We decided to go without solar for our upcoming build. For the way we plan on camping for the next 10 years until retirement, we should not be doing much boondocking. Plus, if and when the time comes that we will want solar, I would much prefer the mobile panels to fixed panels on the roof anyway. To me that just seems a more efficient system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I looked at that article but have not read it yet. There seems to be a big learning curve for solar and in the end you still are working with batteries and cloudy days could be a problem. The reason major private companies are not getting into the solar electric business (or wind power for that matter) is the product is by its very nature unreliable and in the end the city, town or state still must maintain a conventional power plant using some fuel. This doubles or triples the cost of facilities while raising the true cost of power to consumers. That is why all solar power is supported by government grants or outright hand-outs. The funding comes from taxpayer dollars...that means you are paying more taxes to support a system that real businesses avoid investing their money into. Something to think about.

The big question for RV owners is simple...real cost vs benefits....how long do solar panels last bouncing down the highway?....what is the cost of batteries and how long before they must be replaced ? .....what is the cost of installation ?

I decided to buy a quiet inverter generator that was RV ready with a 30 AMP plug and 3,100 watts at a total cost of $750. If and when it does fail that is the total expense....I figure it is less than a complete solar system with batteries and it runs my A/C....something a solar system will not do.
__________________
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I looked at that article but have not read it yet. There seems to be a big learning curve for solar and in the end you still are working with batteries and cloudy days could be a problem. The reason major private companies are not getting into the solar electric business (or wind power for that matter) is the product is by its very nature unreliable and in the end the city, town or state still must maintain a conventional power plant using some fuel. This doubles or triples the cost of facilities while raising the true cost of power to consumers. That is why all solar power is supported by government grants or outright hand-outs. The funding comes from taxpayer dollars...that means you are paying more taxes to support a system that real businesses avoid investing their money into. Something to think about.

The big question for RV owners is simple...real cost vs benefits....how long do solar panels last bouncing down the highway?....what is the cost of batteries and how long before they must be replaced ? .....what is the cost of installation ?

I decided to buy a quiet inverter generator that was RV ready with a 30 AMP plug and 3,100 watts at a total cost of $750. If and when it does fail that is the total expense....I figure it is less than a complete solar system with batteries and it runs my A/C....something a solar system will not do.
We have solar at home and on our trailer.
We paid 100% of the cost .Not one penny came from the government nor did we receive any tax credits. I personally find the noise from a generator as a source of irritation . No one has ever complained that my solar panels were too noisy. Money is not the sole criteria in making choices
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 244
Registry
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/traile...wGuide2015.pdf
Heres the link to that towing guide
__________________
Lee
Captleemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Captleemo: Thanks for posting the Trailer Life web site. This site preaty much answers most of the questions asked on this site. I think It should be mandentory reading for everyone who wants to tow a trailer.
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Nothing on tow capacity.... only tow ratings!
Well Floyd I suspect some might argue that in this day & age where the manufactures are now all doing the same tow test to prove the cars, SUV's and light trucks actually have the actual "tow capacity" to pull the "tow rating" they have put on it, its a bit of a mute point.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Chart omits tongue weights, which in the case of Subaru is a significant issue.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Chart omits tongue weights, which in the case of Subaru is a significant issue.
I would assume the chart to be missing a lot of the finer details the buyers need to be aware of not just tongue weight limits, but actual payload and the GVWR & GCWR. A lot of math involved in deciding if the vehicle you are considering is actually rated to pull the trailer you want it to.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well Floyd I suspect some might argue that in this day & age where the manufactures are now all doing the same tow test to prove the cars, SUV's and light trucks actually have the actual "tow capacity" to pull the "tow rating" they have put on it, its a bit of a mute point.
That would be, if it were, a "moot" point! Mute seldom applies around here!
To have standing on the argument,one would need first to gain personal understanding of the specific vehicle in question. Otherwise he would only be able to compare "ratings".
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Casita Travel Trailer A-Z Owner's Guide Arizona Eileen Commercial Posts and Products 0 06-10-2012 04:24 AM
Good towing guide here Ken C Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 2 11-04-2008 10:20 PM
California DMV Towing Guide Roger H Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 6 12-24-2006 09:04 PM
Trailer Tune-Up Guide Norman General Chat 0 08-18-2006 06:52 PM
Trailer Loading and Towing Guide Donna D. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 01-17-2006 11:49 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.