trailer nuts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
trailer nuts

ok you experts up for debate is someone added 22in to my trailer tongue he said it makes it easier to tow I think it has changed the way the trailer tows making too much weight for the hitch and all the balance!

the trailer may weigh 1200lbs I am not sure its a Scamp 13f. anyway I am thinking with the advice of my mechanic of cutting that thing back to the way it should be!

I don't think we can out engineer the engineers! anyone ever heard of this?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The Scamp13 along with its near identical cousins (Boler, LoveBug,Eco,etc.)
is the best balanced best towing small trailer I have towed.
I suspect that your tongue extension is at best no improvement.
The proof is in the putting though.
Does it feel stable at speed? tongue heavy?
How does the pin to axle distance compare to TV wheel base?
How close is the TV rear axle to the pin?
If you lived close to us we could try both and draw conclusions from the experience. Maybe you could do that at your next fiberglass rally?

One thought...
When backing up it may actually respond more slowly and more predictably.
especially with a long wheelbase TV.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #3

Missouri
well I just talked to scamp about new decals for my scamp in passing I mentioned this 22in extension he just couldn't understand the reasoning either. he said it would change the dynamics of the trailer I don't notice.

yes with the extended length on the toungue it might make it easier to back up but I just don't see the reasoning behind it. I guess we will wait for some new post I sure would like to know if anyone else has heard of this.

thanks

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #4

Missouri
I replied it didn't post I just talked to Scamp about the decals guy said he had never heard of this and didn't really like it. First he saw no need for it and said it would change the dynackis of the trailer I haven't seen that yet.

As for backing I don't see a need to that either. Sort of weird I am going to have it put back to orginal. oh then he has a male femae plug involved too I don't like added el. connections out there so that will change also. more weird!

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
I can imagine adding to the tongue length if you needed more clearance, say for a long canoe or kayak on a small tow vehicle. Would also provide more room for a generator, bike rack, or storage box on the tongue. Such additions to tongue weight might affect dynamics (can be counterbalanced by weight aft of the axle, of course), but I doubt if the extra 22" of tongue alone would affect anything adversely—but then, I'm no expert.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Generally speaking, longer tongues make the trailer more stable and back easier. It can also make room for another battery or room to mount tanks. I don't think a longer tongue can ever make a trailer less stable. Look at boat trailers, for instance. They have a very long distance from the ball to the axles and they tow very well.

If a tongue is too short the TV can hit the trailer body while turning sharp when backing and, with a pickup, the tail gate often can't be opened while hooked up.

It seems to me, after looking at many trailer tongues, most of them are too short for practical use. My Oliver has an exceptionally long tongue and it is extremely stable. I can even open my tailgate!

The only downsides are storing the trailer where length is critical or paying for a site, where the tongue length is added.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #7

Missouri
trailer tongue

well still thinking about all this I think I am going to take my trailer to the scale and see what is going on weight wise you know if the balance is right!

the previous owner had removed the gas tanks and just had a battery on it.

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
How will you conclude from the scale, that the balance is "right"?

If you originally had a tongue weight of approximately 10% and then the gas tanks were removed, that weight would go down. Then the tongue was extended which would make the apparent weight go down further, but would likely increase the stability.

It's not as simple as weighing it to determine stability. The tongue will measure out lighter than stock, but the stability will be better than stock unless the bottles were moved the the rear bumper.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #9

Missouri
does anyone really know

I am still debating but one big thing came to light if I cut the tongue down I don't think I can lift my back lid open!

this changes things a lot!

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I added about 18 inches to my frame on my 1985 Scamp 16' and there is no adverse effect I can see.
I have more room for the "stuff" that gets installed there.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
The tongue on my Campster was extended by about 2 feet by a previous owner. The Campster was a 13 but a significantly different design than the Scamp. I can't address the towing before and after since I wasn't present for the conversion, but the only issue I have with the extension is higher ferry rates (it puts my total length just over 30' which is a higher rate). The advantage is room for a spare, a battery, and a tool box. My tongue weight loaded is just about 10% and I'm towing with a Ridgeline, so I'm pretty good.

You might weight the axles and the tongue with your gear, propane, etc. just to see where you are. If your tongue weight is at about 10%, I would leave it alone. If it's heavy or light, I would still look at other adjustments before taking the cutting torch to it.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #12

Missouri
leaving it

well after thought since I wont be able to get my back gate open so easily I am leaving the extension on. This is the only value I see to it the previous owner ran without tanks on the tongue just a battery.

I am still going to weight the critter I would like to know its weight? unless someone has a clue to the weight of a 13f scamper?

bob
Old 10-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
trailer nuts

There is a lot of variation in Scamp 13 weights because of differences in layout, equipment, and loading. All that can be said for certain is that it's between 1000 and 2000 pounds. Get thee to a scale.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #14

Missouri
jon

jon I appreciate your sage advice I will do that! you are always right old friend!

thanks

bob
Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
well I just talked to scamp about new decals for my scamp in passing I mentioned this 22in extension he just couldn't understand the reasoning either. he said it would change the dynamics of the trailer I don't notice.

yes with the extended length on the toungue it might make it easier to back up but I just don't see the reasoning behind it. I guess we will wait for some new post I sure would like to know if anyone else has heard of this.

thanks

bob
You may never know why the PO extended the tongue. However one of the main reasons people extend the tongues is for mounting more stuff on top of them. We all know people who want what they want and then implement their "brilliant concepts"
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote